Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

On September 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Grizzly said:

Most Impact fans including myself would have preferred to see Crepeau start but Kronberg did play well yesterday. Kronberg has been so so in the backup role but the few times he has gotten more than 1 game in a row he is a better keeper than many give him credit for. He seems to be a good team player as well who accepts his role as backup. On the other hand his salary is a bit high for a backup keeper. Some of the fans are so biased they are claiming he could have stopped the Philly goal which is really ridiculous, it was a perfectly placed shot that was released very quickly and Kronberg only even had a chance to stop it because he is so tall, the shorter Bush and Crepeau never would have gotten to that shot. Still at some time Crepeau needs to be given an opportunity or allowed to go somewhere where he will have an opportunity to play.

I have to disagree I think Kronberg should have been able to save the shot. He gets a touch on the ball and almost jumps past it after what looked like a late reaction to me. I think Crepeau and Bush make that save.

Crepeau has made some amazing saves with FC Montreal this year and has helped make sure that they do pick up points in the few games they have and he helps keep the scoreline respectable in most of the other games.

I said it last year but I'd be really surprised if Kronberg was with the Impact next year. I think Montreal wants Crepeau playing as many games as possible this year so he starts with FC MTL whenever he can. This makes him the 3rd choice keeper and for whatever reason, the hierarchy seems set in stone. Maybe if Bush gets injured for a long period of time we will see Crepeau play for the Impact this year.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Great to see one of those original 3 academy keepers (Carducci, Roberts, Crepeau) still in their team's plans. Hoping all the best for him.

It will be nice to see if he gets on the field. Those 3 guys have a combined 12 MLS seasons and 0 MLS minutes played. I'll hold off on getting excited (to be honest, I didn't bother reading the article). Hopefully this year is the year for a breakthrough!

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

It will be nice to see if he gets on the field. Those 3 guys have a combined 12 MLS seasons and 0 MLS minutes played. I'll hold off on getting excited (to be honest, I didn't bother reading the article). Hopefully this year is the year for a breakthrough!

Assuming Crepeau stays healthy, I would be very surprised if he doesn't make his MLS debut this year given his current status as #2.  I know Bush will receive the majority of the work, but I don't see him playing every minute either. For me, if Crepeau can get 4-6 league starts and all V Cup games, that would be a decent step forward.

Edited by shermanator

44 minutes ago, shermanator said:

4-6 league starts

I only see this happening due to really bad form by Bush or injury. As the #2 keeper though he should make all the starts in the V Cup

11 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I only see this happening due to really bad form by Bush or injury. As the #2 keeper though he should make all the starts in the V Cup

The MLS schedule is tight enough that if he does well in things like the Voyageurs Cup I can see him getting some starts when the games are close together and they want to lessen Bush's workload. Plus he is a Montreal boy that the fans have been waiting years to see play with the first team, they will be under some pressure to play him and will get a lot of good publicity and good will from the fans and media if he plays. Also while Bush is an under rated keeper and great shot stopper he has his weaknesses too so he is not a lock on the position and some good performances by Crepeau could see him fighting for the number 1 spot.

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The MLS schedule is tight enough that if he does well in things like the Voyageurs Cup I can see him getting some starts when the games are close together and they want to lessen Bush's workload. Plus he is a Montreal boy that the fans have been waiting years to see play with the first team, they will be under some pressure to play him and will get a lot of good publicity and good will from the fans and media if he plays. Also while Bush is an under rated keeper and great shot stopper he has his weaknesses too so he is not a lock on the position and some good performances by Crepeau could see him fighting for the number 1 spot.

Has Montreal done much of resting their 1st choice keeper when not injured? I know TFC has historically used a keeper for every game (excluding Voyageurs Cup) until they get injured (then usually they use the backup the rest of the way and get rid of the guy that was the number 1... last year excluded). I feel like soccer keepers get rotated out for the occasional game a lot less frequently than they do in hockey, and it's not that uncommon for a goalkeeper to play every game in a season.

44 minutes ago, Kent said:

Has Montreal done much of resting their 1st choice keeper when not injured? I know TFC has historically used a keeper for every game (excluding Voyageurs Cup) until they get injured (then usually they use the backup the rest of the way and get rid of the guy that was the number 1... last year excluded). I feel like soccer keepers get rotated out for the occasional game a lot less frequently than they do in hockey, and it's not that uncommon for a goalkeeper to play every game in a season.

Not really. That's why I don't think that  he'll get more than 2 league games unless Bush gets injured/suspended. 

It has been a long time since we have had any serious competition for the first keeper spot or a reliable backup. When every game could determine whether you make the playoffs and your backup is Kronberg then you will ride your first keeper as much as you can. If Crepeau shows he can do the job in things like the VCup then I think he will get some starts in the league also. How many will depend on how he does in those starts.

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It has been a long time since we have had any serious competition for the first keeper spot or a reliable backup. When every game could determine whether you make the playoffs and your backup is Kronberg then you will ride your first keeper as much as you can. If Crepeau shows he can do the job in things like the VCup then I think he will get some starts in the league also. How many will depend on how he does in those starts.

Yeah, I am a bit jaded on these 3 academy keepers, because it seems like when it comes to MLS minutes they have been avoided like the plague. Let's not forget that last year Quillan Roberts started the season as the number 2. Then he couldn't get in despite a couple of shakes games for Bono early on. I hope Crepeau has better luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it time now to give Maxime Crepeau the last 2 starts of the season? Just to see what he can do and if he's capable of securing the #1 position next year. All of the Impact's goalkeepers contracts expire 31.12.2017

Must say, although he didn't have a good official debut for Canada at the Gold Cup after playing the final 30 minutes vs French Guiana and in MLS regular season against NYRB

IMO he continues to be the one with the most projection! In front of Carducci, Irving, Melvin and others 

38 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Is it time now to give Maxime Crepeau the last 2 starts of the season? Just to see what he can do and if he's capable of securing the #1 position next year. All of the Impact's goalkeepers contracts expire 31.12.2017

Must say, although he didn't have a good official debut for Canada at the Gold Cup after playing the final 30 minutes vs French Guiana and in MLS regular season against NYRB

IMO he continues to be the one with the most projection! In front of Carducci, Irving, Melvin and others 

Until they can no longer get to the playoffs, the Impact should always play their best. If the NY Red Bulls beat Vancouver on Saturday, the Impact are out. Then it would be wise for them to give the last two games to Crépeau.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille