Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I wonder if theres any chance of Herdman going with Max as the #1? I’m guessing Borjan will retain the #1 for now but I wouldn’t have a problem with Max starting in September 

Honestly I am perfectly comfortable with either in net.  Maxime really strengthened his case to be a legit starter for us whether or not Borjan is available.  

Funny, a while back I was thinking St Clair might displace Maxine as our second.  A bit has changed since then.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I’ve completely bought-in as Max as our #1. I know many on this board were giving it a shout for a while and I was a bit ignorant to believe that Borjan was our clear #1. 

But after his display this tournament (good shot stopping, good with his feet, leader, etc) I’m very confident in him.

That’s what the Gold Cup can do.

Crepeau has been a revelation.  He is damn good with his feet.  Composed and confident.  Saved a pen against Mex in front of 70K Mexicans.  What more can you ask?  He is ready.  For the time being, I will still take Milan's experience and shot stopping, but Max is gunning for the #1 job and he may take it before the Octo is done.  

One thing that I would like to add about Crepeau is how safe his hands are. If he comes out to grab a cross he rarely drops the ball and when he decides to punch he gets a lot of power on it and it usually goes to a safe place. I think Borjan is a better shot stopper overall but I think Crepeau might be stronger in every other aspect of his game.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't it less than a year ago we were talking about Crepeau arguably being 3rd behind St. Clair?

Amazing how things change.

Crepeau definitely in the no. 1 conversation now.

People have always underestimated Crépeau. After giving up a goal at Camp Poutine in 2020 people were crapping on him, even though the whole team was defending the set piece very poorly.

Right before the 2015 Olympic Qualifying people were rating him below Quillian Roberts.

He's always managed to prove the doubters wrong.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't it less than a year ago we were talking about Crepeau arguably being 3rd behind St. Clair?

Amazing how things change.

Crepeau definitely in the no. 1 conversation now.

I sure do remember that.  Heck, some posters were even predicting that the two would be alternating this tourney gig.

St. Clair's time will come.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He may not have had a ton to do last night, but that (literal) last minute fingertip save rescued a point for us and stopped Jamaica from gathering some much needed momentum.  In the two away games he has let in a single goal in Azteca. That is pretty impressive.  

On this day after thanksgiving, I will say that I am thankful Max has stepped up to the point where Borjan going down doesn’t cause me huge concern about our keeping situation (other than reduced depth).  And I don’t mean that in any way to disrespect Milan, but Crepeau has shown he is starter-quality.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

He may not have had a ton to do last night, but that (literal) last minute fingertip save rescued a point for us and stopped Jamaica from gathering some much needed momentum.  

That last minute shot by Lawrence looked to be clearly going out to me. Not that he could risk it, but i dont think that was legitimately on target.

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That last minute shot by Lawrence looked to be clearly going out to me. Not that he could risk it, but i dont think that was legitimately on target.

I thought so at first but on replay it looked like it may have grabbed the corner.   Bottom line for me is that Crepeau has to make that save to be sure - and he did.   

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I only saw the two camera angles of the shot from the same side of the field and to me there is nothing clear about the ball's destination.  I'll take it as an alert save.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He may not have had a ton to do last night, but that (literal) last minute fingertip save rescued a point for us and stopped Jamaica from gathering some much needed momentum.  In the two away games he has let in a single goal in Azteca. That is pretty impressive.  

On this day after thanksgiving, I will say that I am thankful Max has stepped up to the point where Borjan going down doesn’t cause me huge concern about our keeping situation (other than reduced depth).  And I don’t mean that in any way to disrespect Milan, but Crepeau has shown he is starter-quality.  

It's going to be interesting to see what the Whitecaps do with Crepeau after this season.  First instinct is they should keep him, but maybe this is also the time they look to move him on (if there's a team in Europe that's interested) and promote Hasal up to the starting role.