CNL: Canada vs Honduras - Tuesday, March 28th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Toronto

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

One take away from last night - the depth coming off the bench up front and  at the back.  Think we really need Cav back for June. 

Is this where we give credit to Akinola?

He's still a clear step down from Cavallini, plus his club form lately leaves a lot to be desired, but he did set up that 4th goal with a nice pace to Osorio. Not calling it a standout performance, but anytime you come off the bench and pick up an assist in a big game it's a good thing. 

I still want and expect Cav to come in for the finals, but this is probably "Stock up" for Akinola.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's still a clear step down from Cavallini, plus his club form lately leaves a lot to be desired, but he did set up that 4th goal with a nice pace to Osorio. Not calling it a standout performance, but anytime you come off the bench and pick up an assist in a big game it's a good thing. 

I still want and expect Cav to come in for the finals, but this is probably "Stock up" for Akinola.

Agreed.  He didn’t light it up or anything but you can’t criticize the shift he put it. I am really hoping he rediscovers the edge he had early on that made us want to cap him.   Don’t know if it is a mental thing or a conditioning thing (maybe), but he hasn’t looked the same since the injury.   Fingers crossed he will get better and better.  

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes, im sick of the Akinola that has showed up since the injury (less tonight). Im ready for the pre-goldcup version for both TFC and CAN. 

Color me shocked by Akinola making a positive contribution last night, but what a difference that could make for club (blech!) and country (let's go!) if that were to happen.

I'd like to see a better angle of the pass and goal, but I think David did just enough to make himself look like an option to receive that pass before it got through that it opened up another half-step of space for Osorio. Either way, great play.

36 minutes ago, Corazon said:

When lining up for the game, I noticed a group of young men all dressed as Borjan all with goalie gloves and grey sweatpants.  It was pretty awesome.

Also, yes the lineups were quite long in both length and time before the game once again.  Especially considering, it was only the lower bowl filled.

Those guys were all just below us in 113, good on them adding to the atmosphere, agree the lineups were long but they moved quite quickly and I had no problem entering with my new clear MLS approved stadium bag!

By the way, it can be difficult for attackers to produce in limited minutes off the bench, in many cases just garbage minutes to play out games such as the match vs Curacao.  Ugbo & Brym come to my mind immediately.  Now, I am not saying that I rate Akinola ahead of Ugbo or Brym but he does now have an assist vs Honduras and a penalty earned vs Haiti in the Gold Cup in only 71 minutes for Canada spread across 4 substitute appearances.

I think we'd all take those numbers, especially given his injuries and club performances over the past couple seasons.

Edited by Corazon

35 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

One take away from last night - the depth coming off the bench up front and  at the back.  Think we really need Cav back for June. 

He's doing just fine in LigaMX which is a pretty solid level, so it would be fine to bring him if he was interested.  Other than that, we have 2.5 months for one of Ugbo, Brym, Akinola, Nelson, (Jebbison), Kratt, Mbongue, Ennin, Pacius, De Rosario, Perruzza, or Wright to do something that shows that they need a longer look.

However, failing all that, I'd really be interested in seeing how someone like Millar plays up top.  Imagine bringing someone with his pace on at the 75th minute to run at defenders.  He has experience in this role.

The whole point is that they should be pricing to fill the stadium. Whatever stadium they choose. Especially with TV audience being so miniscule. Especially because we don’t play friendlies in Canada.

If the objective is to grow the game.

I also think benchmarking us against the US or Mexico last week is wrong. That wasn’t, for them, the return of their best team ever, or their first world cup team in 36 years. Plus those teams have mature, proper TV setups.

Edited by ensco

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He looked gassed after 10 minutes on the field and was jogging from the first minute.  I’m starting to question whether the fitness will ever get there.  Cava brings an intensity as a sub and is sprinting from the first to last minute played.

Great assist by Ayo btw, no question about that.

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

He's doing just fine in LigaMX which is a pretty solid level, so it would be fine to bring him if he was interested.  Other than that, we have 2.5 months for one of Ugbo, Brym, Akinola, Nelson, (Jebbison), Kratt, Mbongue, Ennin, Pacius, De Rosario, Perruzza, or Wright to do something that shows that they need a longer look.

However, failing all that, I'd really be interested in seeing how someone like Millar plays up top.  Imagine bringing someone with his pace on at the 75th minute to run at defenders.  He has experience in this role.

The fact that we can have a post like this listing so many potential up and comers - on offence alone - makes me very happy.  (And we could even suggest some additional names like Shaffelburg or Corbeanu.)

5 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

And on a Tuesday night in March

Yeah, that was part of "that match" in terms of the context. It wasn't exactly a glamour match on a beautiful summer night, nor was it a high-profile World Cup qualifier.

The CSA got the pricing all wrong on this one, and it would've led to similar numbers in any city.

44 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Great assist by Ayo btw, no question about that.

Andd with all the scrutiny..... he still has that important stat as an attacker.
Within 70 minutes of play for the CMNT he has 1g and 1 assist. 

17 minutes ago, RS said:

Yeah, that was part of "that match" in terms of the context. It wasn't exactly a glamour match on a beautiful summer night, nor was it a high-profile World Cup qualifier.

The CSA got the pricing all wrong on this one, and it would've led to similar numbers in any city.

Hopefully it was a good learning moment for the CSA going forward (yes I know that’s a movie we’ve all seen before..).

As for the game, to me this win buried the Honduras “hex” they have had on us. Some teams have your number and I feel that was laid to rest last night. We’re too good for them outside of monsoon type weather hindrances. Fun night. Best players were our best players

40 minutes ago, Kingston said:

The fact that we can have a post like this listing so many potential up and comers - on offence alone - makes me very happy.  (And we could even suggest some additional names like Shaffelburg or Corbeanu.)

Even further, you could also add Russell-Rowe and Kerr as both are only 20 and have already scored this season for their clubs.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

13K is actually not bad considering the ridiculous prices, cold weather, and negative press about the CSA. The USA only drew 18K in tropical Orlando, which at least one person online is questioning whether it was actually 18K. 

Was that person Ozzie? :)

Honestly, the crowd looked big enough and totally engaged on TV.

I don’t know where to post this but was thinking about this last night entering the stadium….. So someone could move it to another thread. 

What a waste of space the Food building is, it is used 3 weeks a year for essentially a mall food court during CNE. Got me to thinking, that with all the events at BMO, how cool would that space be used for pre- game festivities before a match. Imagine the use of that space for every match day instead of being shuttered 49 weeks a year.  I recall being in Edmonton for Costa Rica match and the V’s set up a pre at a banquet hall before the game, replicate that 20x if that space at Food building was better utilized