Ali Ahmed

toontownman

On 2/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, Obinna said:

Ahmed covers every blade of… er, let’s say “grass”… in an old-fashioned, box-to-box ball-winner kind of way, and has more than enough skill on the ball to make that matter in the final third. Vancouver were just straight-up better with him out there last year. So, a full-time starter with serious interest from European teams.

So.....Am I to understand the interest from Serie A clubs and from Sporting Lisbon was not "serious".....or perhaps Doyle just wasn't aware he was getting European interest already?

I think this is a pretty optimistic take on Ahmed.  As much as I like him, prior to the injury, I would've put money down that he'd start more games on the bench than on the pitch.  I just don't see Sartini playing him.

His strength is taking on guys and space in dangerous areas to set up opportunities instead of recycling possession.  And with that, good things happen on the attack for the Caps.

However, I tend to  find Doyle a bit of tire pumper for the league because of the nature of his employment on a league website.  Wasn't he also the same guy who had Jay Chapman hyped up to bigger and better things?  EDIT:  He also had Tyler Pasher as the breakout player for Houston in 2022.

I am not sure where his surgery recovery timeline is at currently but I don't see Ahmed being up to speed enough to get into the March squad.

Also, with the midfield configurations suggested on here, none have listed Osorio to play alongside Eustaquio and Koné (unless I have just missed it).  If he gets off to a good start with his own play at TFC, I can't see Biello not having him in a central midfield three if the team goes that route vs T&T.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

His strength is taking on guys and space in dangerous areas to set up opportunities instead of recycling possession.  And with that, good things happen on the attack for the Caps.

However, I tend to  find Doyle a bit of tire pumper for the league because of the nature of his employment on a league website.  Wasn't he also the same guy who had Jay Chapman hyped up to bigger and better things?

I am not sure where his surgery recovery timeline is at currently but I don't see Ahmed being up to speed enough to get into the March squad.

Also, with the midfield configurations suggested on here, none have listed Osorio to play alongside Eustaquio and Koné (unless I have just missed it).  If he gets off to a good start with his own play at TFC, I can't see Biello not having him in a central midfield three if the team goes that route vs T&T.

With a good start, absolutely.  He needs that good start.  Last year was not good.

• 3 weeks later...

He's no Shaffenburgler, but holy hell Ahmed is a hell of a player. Played just over 30 minutes and was creating all the time. Plays with extraordinary positivity and confidence. Great feet, of course, and impressive pace going forward, but also excellent poise with the ball at his feet, and his passing is sharp. Work rate is remarkable.  A difference-maker, and a guy I want to see suit up for the NT for many years to come.  I think he is ready. 

(My only worry: He's still kinda slight.)

7 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He's no Shaffenburgler, but holy hell Ahmed is a hell of a player. Played just over 30 minutes and was creating all the time. Plays with extraordinary positivity and confidence. Great feet, of course, and impressive pace going forward, but also excellent poise with the ball at his feet, and his passing is sharp. Work rate is remarkable.  A difference-maker, and a guy I want to see suit up for the NT for many years to come.  I think he is ready. 

(My only worry: He's still kinda slight.)

He provided an oasis of class in a match which could be best described as a desert of mediocrity.

Edited by BearcatSA

32 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He provided an oasis of class in a match which could be best described as a desert of mediocrity.

I had the good fortune of watching Davies play with the Caps, and Ahmed is by far the closest thing I've seen to the sort of dynamism and positive play and quality that Davies showed.  Yeah, Gauld is a baller, and Cubas is excellent in his role, but Ahmed is a real find.  If he stays healthy and plays consistently at this level all year, what are the chances he gets a move to Europe?

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't care what anyone says. This is one of the nicest goals I've seen from a Canadian player in a while. That initial touch, move to beat his man, drive at the net from a touchline(!) and top-shelf finish -- really special goal, this one. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Pure class,

just curious wasn’t he more of a CM last year ?

In pre and early season he was used as a WB then shifted into the centre more.

I wonder if they do keep him at wingback in this formation because he provides much more of a threat opponents need to game plan against than the other guys they have used there.

3 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I don't care what anyone says. This is one of the nicest goals I've seen from a Canadian player in a while. That initial touch, move to beat his man, drive at the net from a touchline(!) and top-shelf finish -- really special goal, this one. 

This. It was a series of perfection by Ahmed. He made such an impression for Canada during the Gold Cup and seems to be continuing on an upward trajectory.  For the Whitecaps followers: is he still not 100% and is that why he is not starting?

24 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

In pre and early season he was used as a WB then shifted into the centre more.

I wonder if they do keep him at wingback in this formation because he provides much more of a threat opponents need to game plan against than the other guys they have used there.

Please VWC, do us a solid and play him in the middle.

1 hour ago, RS said:

That touch on the sidelines to get past the defender was pure class, followed by a tremendous finish.

I'll die on the hill that he should be playing more centrally, but won't be too mad if he keeps playing like this in wide positions.

I would love to see him in a three man midfield.  However, it would mean Kone taking on/being assigned a more DCM role.