Ali Ahmed

toontownman

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

This. It was a series of perfection by Ahmed. He made such an impression for Canada during the Gold Cup and seems to be continuing on an upward trajectory.  For the Whitecaps followers: is he still not 100% and is that why he is not starting?

Correct. It was a surprise he even made the bench last week, as the initial time table was he'd be out a bit longer. I think everyone can see they're a better team when he's on the pitch. He'll be starting soon enough.

11 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He's no Shaffenburgler, but holy hell Ahmed is a hell of a player. Played just over 30 minutes and was creating all the time. Plays with extraordinary positivity and confidence. Great feet, of course, and impressive pace going forward, but also excellent poise with the ball at his feet, and his passing is sharp. Work rate is remarkable.  A difference-maker, and a guy I want to see suit up for the NT for many years to come.  I think he is ready. 

(My only worry: He's still kinda slight.)

Yes, and it doesn't help when you're coming off hernia surgery and guys are jumping on you. Frickin idiot Fafa. But maybe I'm just old.

Edited by clamlinguine

2 hours ago, RS said:

That touch on the sidelines to get past the defender was pure class, followed by a tremendous finish.

I'll die on the hill that he should be playing more centrally, but won't be too mad if he keeps playing like this in wide positions.

Last year, when he started to impress in his appearances, I wanted to see him in a more advanced position near Gauld behind White as a front three.  That is where they used Vite a fair bit but the Colombian was and is more of a peripheral player in the build up play while Ahmed likes to drive into the box to go 1 v 1 and make something happen there.  To me, I was hoping that Kreilach would be a later game sub but he seems to have become a regular starter thus far (considering he is also advertised as part of the team's five man "leadership team"), so Ahmed is either going to be a WB or taking Vite's spot in the starting XI.

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Last year, when he started to impress in his appearances, I wanted to see him in a more advanced position near Gauld behind White as a front three.  That is where they used Vite a fair bit but the Colombian was and is more of a peripheral player in the build up play while Ahmed likes to drive into the box to go 1 v 1 and make something happen there.  To me, I was hoping that Kreilach would be a later game sub but he seems to have become a regular starter thus far (considering he is also advertised as part of the team's five man "leadership team"), so Ahmed is either going to be a WB or taking Vite's spot in the starting XI.

I don't think the formation/Kreilach situation is working, and I'll be interested to see how long Sartini sticks with it. They've looked so much better once he's been subbed out, which also coincides with when Ahmed has come on.

33 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the formation/Kreilach situation is working, and I'll be interested to see how long Sartini sticks with it. They've looked so much better once he's been subbed out, which also coincides with when Ahmed has come on.

Kreilach doesn't add to the press nor does he add to the counter attack fast break off a midfield turnover because pace isn't his friend.  But his aerial ability and ball striking are still first rate if you need to poach a tying goal and his savvy and technical skills can help draw fouls and keep possession when you are trying to kill off a game.  That might eventually be what happens as the season progresses.  We'll see how the next stretch of matches go.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Kreilach doesn't add to the press nor does he add to the counter attack fast break off a midfield turnover because pace isn't his friend.  But his aerial ability and ball striking are still first rate if you need to poach a tying goal and his savvy and technical skills can help draw fouls and keep possession when you are trying to kill off a game.  That might eventually be what happens as the season progresses.  We'll see how the next stretch of matches go.

Yeah, when they signed Kreilach i think that's how must of us assumed he'd be used: late game sub, starter on occasion. Instead, Startini changed his formation and has made him a regular starter and I'm sure is surprised it's not working.

• 3 weeks later...

So, does Ahmed go to COPA? He's not fully match fit yet, but by the time COPA rolls around he will be.  I still feel he is ahead of JMR, presuming that one of those two might make the roster. Love to see both of these guys move to strong European clubs within the next couple of years. Seems a reasonable expectation if they keep developing and performing as they have.

43 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So, does Ahmed go to COPA? He's not fully match fit yet, but by the time COPA rolls around he will be.  I still feel he is ahead of JMR, presuming that one of those two might make the roster. Love to see both of these guys move to strong European clubs within the next couple of years. Seems a reasonable expectation if they keep developing and performing as they have.

I am optimistic on JMR - and not just because I have invested in his rookies (but somewhat).  But regardless. I think Ahmed is more ready for high pressure internationals at this point.  

And that isn’t a slight on JMR - he is 4 years younger (!) than Ahmed so has a ton of time to catch and potentially surpass him.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am optimistic on JMR - and not just because I have invested in his rookies (but somewhat).  But regardless. I think Ahmed is more ready for high pressure internationals at this point.  

And that isn’t a slight on JMR - he is 4 years younger (!) than Ahmed so has a ton of time to catch and potentially surpass him.  

I think we're in an interesting time for the CMNT.  I don't think there's anyone coming up through the system who's at the Davies/David level, but I think we're also starting to see the floor of the team raise considerably.  We moved on years ago from "Unattached FC" being a big part of the team to now being at a stage where it's not enough just to be playing at a decent level, you now have to be performing at a decent level just to have a chance to make the 23 man roster.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think we're in an interesting time for the CMNT.  I don't think there's anyone coming up through the system who's at the Davies/David level, but I think we're also starting to see the floor of the team raise considerably.  We moved on years ago from "Unattached FC" being a big part of the team to now being at a stage where it's not enough just to be playing at a decent level, you now have to be performing at a decent level just to have a chance to make the 23 man roster.

100% agree with this assessment including unfortunately the Davies/Davis comment

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Agreed.  I liķe the "floor" analogy here.

Gone are the days of giving a guy his first cap despite not having played (or hardly played) first team club minutes in his first pro season.

The best thing is that there is legitimate competition for spots at that floor level and it is much more about what the player is doing now and how he fits into the scheme of things now as opposed to being brought in because he did well in a sub stint two years ago in a match or two.

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Agreed.  I liķe the "floor" analogy here.

Gone are the days of giving a guy his first cap despite not having played (or hardly played) first team club minutes in his first pro season.

image.png.29f7a69889019085af4bd1e858beabc3.png

Jokes aside, we have seen such an increase in Canadians playing in the MLS and the CPL is getting stronger each year with L1 slowly growing beneath. More Canadians heading to other leagues abroad, at least at a similar if not larger quantity that before this CPL/MLS/USL boom of Canadians. It's a great time and that floor should be rising.

CSA just needs to sort itself out. If we can get our youth programs back on track. Project 8 running and L1 working across the board, all the pieces will be there for us to push even further forward. 

26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

HEHE, not trying to be a dick, but didnt we just do this with Bombito (gold cup after a few games in MLS) and Kone (one month into his pro carer) the year before??  I am all for the... if your good enough your old enough kind of thinking though.   Some guys will force their way in no matter what.  

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

HEHE, not trying to be a dick, but didnt we just do this with Bombito (gold cup after a few games in MLS) and Kone (one month into his pro carer) the year before??  I am all for the... if your good enough your old enough kind of thinking though.   Some guys will force their way in no matter what.  

Definitely a fair comment and, as suggested, you can add De Fourgelles to your list, as well.  The example I had in my mind was Kyle Bekker.

But I honestly believe that those exceptions at the "floor level" are going to become fewer, which is what I am referring to, unless it is in a position of significant need.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:26 PM, Watchmen said:

Nicely put. (The rising floor will get us closer to the US and Mexico in terms of depth. Still a ways to go, clearly, but the level is rising. Meanwhile, do the Americans have a player of Davies/David's caliber?) 

14 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Nicely put. (The rising floor will get us closer to the US and Mexico in terms of depth. Still a ways to go, clearly, but the level is rising. Meanwhile, do the Americans have a player of Davies/David's caliber?) 

I agree with that. Absoulte top tier those two:

1. Davies 
  2. David*

The USA have at least half a dozen players just below that caliber, 2nd tier if you will:

1. Pulisic
  2. Reyna
  3. McKennie
  4. Balogun
  5. Weah
  6. Adams
  7. Musah
  8. Dest

I tried to order them in terms of importance/level. I also think we have two players in this 2nd tier:

• Buchanan*
  • Eustaquio

There's a very big tier below that for the Americans (3rd):

• A.Robinson
  • Pepi
  • Sargent
  • Wright*
  • Cardoso
  • De La Torre
  • Parades
  • Aaronson*
  • Tillman