World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

42 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Saw the starting 11 and thought Herdman was going for it.  And then didn't.  If you're going to throw the kitchen sink at them out of the gate, throw the kitchen sink at them out of the gate.  Spend your energy early and freely.  But that didn't happen.  Too cute by far.

A couple of years from now the only thing I'm going to remember about this underwhelming match is how Eustaquio was my MoTM for that one simple play he made against the Honduran manager Coito in the 2nd half there.  Outstanding. 

What did eustaquio do due the manager? I missed this?

I was watching Peru bottle it, but I had this on in the background. Felt like a bit of a wake up call for some of the cheerleaders. Despite that, I do think the team were a bit nervous for their first game in the Octo. I don't expect them to win against the USA, but if they show a promising performance there, I won't be too worried.

If there are dropped points vs El Salvador, or god forbid a bad performance and scraping a win, that's when I would start worrying.

10 minutes ago, king1010 said:

What did eustaquio do due the manager? I missed this?

The Honduran coach was doing disgraceful time wasting and holding the ball instead of passing into the field of play for the free kick. Eustaqiuo was yelling at him for the ball. Eventually, he ran to the sideline to get to the ball. As he was getting there the Honduran coach kicked it away into the field of play. Eustaqiuo got in to his face and said something. This happened right in front of me but I couldn’t hear or make out what was said. Not sure if the broadcast made it clearer.

then the Honduran coach was crying for a card against Eustaqiuo. Herdman told him to eff off and there was a bit of a shouting match between the two.

as an aside - did anyone catch what happened with security and some Honduran fans right by the Canadian bench in the second half? There was some sort of altercation with security intervening. Doneil and someone else (Spoony or Campagna) seemed to be peripherally involved but it might have just been due to the melee. Not sure if the broadcast mentioned it 

Edited by Floortom

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

as an aside - did anyone catch what happened with security and some Honduran fans right by the Canadian bench in the second half? There was some sort of altercation with security intervening. Doneil and someone else (Spoony or Campagna) seemed to be peripherally involved but it might have just been due to the melee. Not sure if the broadcast mentioned it 

A Honduran fan went after Henry according to a Jenkins tweet. I could see something happening from the sout end.

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The Honduran coach was doing disgraceful time wasting and holding the ball instead of passing into the field of play for the free kick. Eustaqiuo was yelling at him for the ball. Eventually, he ran to the sideline to get to the ball. As he was getting there the Honduran coach kicked it away into the field of play. Eustaqiuo got in to his face and said something. This happened right in front of me but I couldn’t hear or make out what was said. Not sure if the broadcast made it clearer.

then the Honduran coach was crying for a card against Eustaqiuo. Herdman told him to eff off and there was a bit of a shouting match between the two.

Lot so takes previously mentioned that I agree with, especially with the lack of a midfield linker/creator… after watching the highlights, i was crying out for a striker for a good team in a Top 5 league…. Oh wait, we had one playing last night.  David had a few great chances and didn’t convert - that might have been the difference.

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Lot so takes previously mentioned that I agree with, especially with the lack of a midfield linker/creator… after watching the highlights, i was crying out for a striker for a good team in a Top 5 league…. Oh wait, we had one playing last night.  David had a few great chances and didn’t convert - that might have been the difference.

Layrea also had that one that fell to him that he skied. If he gets that across goal who knows. We didn't have enough dangerous balls into the mixer. Never really tested their keeper. 

Edited by canuckgbp

19 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I'm going to play devils advocate. For a team with the quality of Honduras, these antics are what win games.

I am South American and have seen Chile win the Copa America twice, who were a very dislikeable team with similar sort of provocations. If you're able to wind up the opponent with these antics and get away with it, it's a talent and almost a necessary one to win in the modern game.

Canada will need to learn to not fall for these in order to survive against opposition like this. Players like Vidal, Gonzalo Jara, Luis Suarez, Walter Gargano, and a more familiar Jose Escalante have this talent, and it's part of why they are so successful for their leagues or their team. It unsettles the opposition.

So I’m going to preface my ratings with I was at the game and I might not have had the clearest mind. I haven’t looked at anyone else’s thoughts yet so I could be way off.

Borjan - 8 - I thought he played a great game and didn’t really put a foot wrong. One spilled ball but otherwise solid. I think he probably put to bed the discussion of Crepeau being our starter. You can also see how much this means to him, guy is a leader and looks like he would die for the boys. 0% chance he isn’t my guy for the rest of the Octagon.

Johnston - 8 - I thought he was the best of our back line. So composed and relaxed back there snuffing out attacks. Great at 1v1s! Turning into one of my favourite players for the nats.

Vitoria - 7- Solid game, no real complaints, some good clearances. I felt his distribution maybe could have been a bit better but I won’t knock him too much.

Miller - 5 - Maybe I’m biased because I would’ve preferred Scott play but I didn’t think he was at his best. Got beat too many times for my liking and I felt like his passing wasn’t at his best last night. 

Buchanan - 4 - I love Tajon but it never felt like he really got going. We switched him to the left and it felt like that killed our attack. I feel like he’s best as an attacker and going forward I feel like he should fill the role as a super sub running straight at tired legs.

Davies - 7 - Easily our most dangerous attacker. I spent the entire game wishing he got on the ball more. Was looking so good the first 20 mins but personally I feel like he’s wasted a bit as a LWB and I would prefer he play as a winger

Eustaquio - 6 - I don’t think he really played badly but I expected a little more of his dominance that I’m used to. I feel like it’s hard to see what he’s good at watching live so I won’t harp on him too much.

Atiba - 5 - I don’t know what to say… I absolutely love him but he didn’t look the same as I’m used to Atiba looking. He didn’t play badly but he was just there. Didn’t feel like he made runs into the box or made any key passes, maybe I’m being harsh because it’s Atiba but I just expected more. I was looking to see Kaye all night and felt he could have made a difference.

Richie - 7 - I thought he was the best of our midfield 3. Looked dangerous going forward and was feisty as always. I prefer him on the right getting to run at guys but he played solid in the midfield, easy to forget that’s his more natural position.

Larin -5 - I’m not sure if I’m the only one but I feel like he’s never looked that good for us. I’m glad he scored the penalty but he never really looked like he got going. I know he’s a bit of a poacher but I just expected more.

David - 6 - Again, I expected a bit more. Thought he made some nice runs and did a good job tracking back. Felt the effort was there but I just didn’t see the creativity and calmness I expect of him

Herdman - 3 - I’m as big of a Herdman guy as you can get but I feel like he got it all wrong. Overthought it, the switching of the wingbacks when Davies was looking dangerous, only making two subs. I’m no manager but it just seemed like I didn’t agree with his decisions

The Voyageurs - 10 - Absolute pleasure with you guys. Wish I could be there next week. Showing up to work with no voice will certainly be a fun explanation

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

Atiba - 5 - I don’t know what to say… I absolutely love him but he didn’t look the same as I’m used to Atiba looking. He didn’t play badly but he was just there. Didn’t feel like he made runs into the box or made any key passes, maybe I’m being harsh because it’s Atiba but I just expected more.

Appreciated the read.  I did want to add something to this, he was poor - could not trap a bag of wet cement - but improved.  And I would say there is no way he can make runs into the box when he is one of only two midfielders consistently in the centre, we would have been more open than we were. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I don’t see anyone talking about this, sorry if I’m missing it.  He took a hard knock in the first 5 minutes that seemed to bother him for the rest of the half.  May account for some of his performance and I hope it’s not an issue beyond tonight.

I had been wondering about that he was reaching down to feel his lower leg many times throughout that first half after that collision.

11 hours ago, shorty said:

Let’s just take a minute though and appreciate the fact that we are all disappointed at not taking all three points from Honduras. Yes, we should have. And that’s frickin amazing to say that compared to the last… well forever. 

Also need to note that Honduras was more than happy to take a point, hence the time wasting.  We were favorites and they all knew they were not the better side.  We've come a long way.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

Everyone got a result that they could live with tonight.   Except Canada.

Mexico got a win

Jam lost at the high atitude of azteca. mexico never loses at Azteca so any points would have been a huge bonus.

USA got an away draw 

ES earned a home draw against a favoured side in the region

CRC got a away draw 

Panama.  Got a home draw against a more heralded side.  But next to canada, they are likely the next most dispointed ones.

Honduras got an away result 

And Canada? they needed to win this game.  

Bear in mind Jamaica had the advantage of no crowd in Mexico but still blew it in the end. 

I personally would be disappointed if we could not come away from ES with a win (of course that will also be true if we don’t win at home next week). 

48 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

We got the ball into dangerous positions far more than our opponents.  David and Larin both had opportunities and missed or were blocked.  It seemed when we should have shot we passed, and when we should have put it across the box we took on the shot.  The bounces didn't go our way.  

There's so many rules.  We have to win at home, we can't get a result away.  It's time to break the rules.  I believe we can get results away from home.  We had the chance early at the 3 minute mark.  The one bright moment for Tajon and one we very well could have scored on this early chance.  Then we were absolutely awful for the next 40 minutes until they got their goal.  The panic button got switched on and we were much better.   

The US had a similarly frustrating game.  They couldn't find the final touch either.  I still feel pretty good about our chances.  

Some sober second thoughts on last night's match, first of all it was great to get back in the stadium and to watch our team live after almost 2 years away, I saw so many old friends and after this period of lockdowns and isolation you really appreciate this, thanks to all who went out of their way to come over and say hello! This was always going to be a tough match and although it played out different it felt a lot like when we played a scoreless draw with them at BMO in 2012, a clear missed opportunity, let's hope the dropped points don't prove to be as disastrous as they became then! I expressed my displeasure with Herdman in the other thread so I won't dwell on it, suffice to say he got things wrong and the pressure only increases now! Kennedy looked great in the short time he played, Miller was awful and could have cost us all 3 points, maybe that is a positive that JH finally realized that! I think on another day Larin and David make more of the half chances they had, Hoilett was quite good and maybe should start especially if Buchanan is not 100%! This will be a much different match in Nashville, I look forward to it, maybe we pull off a shock?

Long time lurker been a while since I've posted but just wanted to make one point.

There are 14 matches in this round. That is a huge benefit to Canada in that typically we take some time to get our group together and play at a top level. We were poor in the first half but after we conceded we seemed to wake up and play with a better mentality. Granted Honduras probably sat back a bit more but we did begin to play on instinct and looked much improved. We are still a young team and even the older players have never played at this stage of World Cup qualifying. Honduras was ready to fight, to compete, to scrap for every loose ball and grind for 90 mins. We didn't match that mentality early on, we were soft on the ball and late to react defensively and so Honduras controlled the game up until they scored. 

We will get better as the round goes on, hopefully as soon as next match. A big part of that is realizing the level we need to reach competitively- on the line, but not over the line- to get results with so much at stake. I believe we MAY have the quality to do it and so the fact 6 teams are on 1 point after the first match with so many left to play makes me feel a lot better than I did during the first 40 mins last night.

Looking forward to Sunday.