World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It is time to be a comedian because people are losing their shit (my favourite phrase now) there's a long way to go.  Also check if any of your system has SAP (Second Audio Program)

Two different things. 

Yes, lots of shit-losing that may or may not be warranted after the 14 games (hopefully not). 

My Rogers Nextbox 3.0 doesn’t have SAP that I can see from the menu. 

All good. 👍

5 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

At the game directly in line with the play from the south end, the H player came across at least 2 feet to initiate contact.  I was arguing with people on 113 that the ref must have been pointing for a Canada free kick.  Unbelievable.  I need to watch the replay as far as other lower body contact goes but the contact was initiated by the Honduran.

Najar moved his body to protect the ball and tajon bumped him.  Hard to argue for me 

Lots of needless panic after tonight's result. It's dissapointing but a hard lesson. 

Herdman and his team got it very wrong tactically. They didnt need to change from what worked in the summer, especially with 3 big games this week. The extra winger at the expense of 

Also the constant switching of laryea/Davies and Buchanan confused the heck out of everyone but the Hondurans, left players unmarked in the wide areas when honduras attacked and more than not nobody attacking down the right wing. 

Let's not also excuse many players who simply forgot how to pass the  all to each other or clear the first man on corners. 

The occasion was big, maybe too big for the players. They were clearly amped but probably too much adrenaline. They were nervy or just sloppy and hondurans were simply quicker and first to loose balls and knockdowns. We weren't at the races and very disjointed without natural balance and dominance in the centre. 

We simply didn't support Davies down the wing. While he is hard to keep up with sometimes it seemed like the only tactic was give it to phonzie and hope he does something. He has 2 sometimes 3 players on him and no one helping. It was frustrating.

It is a missed opportunity but a hard lesson we just have to learn from. Plenty to play for but we have to adapt and learn.

really, we were just too amped up in the early going, tons of missed passes early on is the symptom of that.

their goal settled us down and refocused us, just couldn't find that winning goal, missed a few sitters and "almost" chances (eustaquio missing hutch at the top of the box with no one anywhere near him keeps playing over and over in my head).

johnston and laryea were our best players and it wasn't even close. borjan was solid, hell of a save on that header and almost got to that penal too.

you don't want to have to rely on set pieces for goals, but you should expect better than 3 out of 14 corners being of any sort of quality.

a good sign is that the other 3 games are all tied right now, and the US is looking like sh*t.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Was there literally any logic to the Davies/Tajon switch in the first half?  Genuine question.  Everything seemed great in the first 10 minutes before the switch.

To me it felt like something Herdman cooked up before the game and it backfired. He should have waited to see if Honduras was going to over load and start hacking Davies, which I cant recall happening 

15 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

At the game directly in line with the play from the south end, the H player came across at least 2 feet to initiate contact.  I was arguing with people on 113 that the ref must have been pointing for a Canada free kick.  Unbelievable.  I need to watch the replay as far as other lower body contact goes but the contact was initiated by the Honduran.

Exact same view we had in 221. I have not seen a replay yet but the initial reaction was a foul by the Honduran. 

But I have no idea why Herdman switched Tajon and Davies midway through the 1st half. That is what really cost us the goal IMO.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Lots of needless panic after tonight's result. It's dissapointing but a hard lesson.

I think they just wanted to do the 'ol Pearl Harbor trick and just overwhelm the Hondurans and get everything off to a flying start and see if they could sink them early.  Didn't work, lesson learned.  Sooner or later they're going to have to start getting points off Mexico and the US, pragmatism is one thing but shooting for third will likely only get you to third, at best.

I have confidence in them.

Honduras made the 2010 and 2014 world cups.  They were 4th last world cup and lost the inter continental playoff.  I think some may have just under estimated them.  It wasn't our best game.  The final third was lacking and the bounces just didn't go our way.  I absolutely think we can get a result against Honduras whether that's a win or a draw.  On to the next.

Edited by prairiecanuck

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Exact same view we had in 221. I have not seen a replay yet but the initial reaction was a foul by the Honduran. 

But I have no idea why Herdman switched Tajon and Davies midway through the 1st half. That is what really cost us the goal IMO.

Watched the game at home. 

Although the Honduran appeared to slightly lunge away from the ball and into the contact, Tajon flew in and completely came up short, didn't touch the ball at all until after he had taken out the attacker. Needless from Tajon for that recklessness after getting burned. Was a desperation tackle that costs Canada 3 points, even with VAR that's a penalty every time for me. 

6 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Honduras made the 2010 and 2014 world cups.  They were 4th last world cup and lost the inter continental playoff.  I think some may have just under estimated them.  It wasn't our best game.  The final third was lacking and the bounces just didn't go our way.  I absolutely think we can get a result against Honduras whether that's a win or a draw.  On to the next.

Agree with everything except that last sentence.  I don’t think we can count on points in Honduras or Mexico.  Those conditions man…

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

We really need Mexico to best Jamaica 

I'm not panicking but Jamaica picking up a point v Mexico is huge for them 

76% possession 11 shots but only 2 on target. Safe to say it’s desperate for the Jamaica side 

Just now, Bison44 said:

I like the optimism, but what out there tonight makes you believe we'll win on the road against the US....no doubt about it??  

Can = capable of a win.  I didn’t say will.  Anyways we played them well and they fly in after El Salvador and maybe their coach is also working shit out.  

David was poor.

Davies shouldn’t be taking corners or any set pieces. Made no sense when Eustaquio could deliver good balls. 

Herdman was out coached. Wtf was our formation even? Can anyone tell me what position Laryea was playing? We could only create down the wings and should have switched to a 4-2-3-1 to overload them. 

This is not the end of the world but not good. Underwhelming from a lot of players.

42 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

We need to be pragmatic. A balanced lineup is what got our last result against the US. 

And honestly we need to think of a similar approach in these sorts of games against the rest of the region. We have a good team but it’s not necessarily a balanced one. 

Some of the forwards have to sit. 

I definitely see another central mid type being brought into the formation for the road match.  Osorio is a good two way guy and linking type who can help with maintaining possession.  Perhaps Kaye gets in if we are indeed going with keeping some freshness for the ES home game (which is a must win, sorry for hyperbole).