GC: Canada vs The USA - Sunday, July 18th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Kansas City

We were missing probably 7 starters but the US were without their starting 11. I don't care how we played in the 2nd half or after the goal you simply cannot give up a goal after 20+ seconds.....you know the pressure is coming for the first 10 mins you start with your wingbacks defending and holding the fort initially. It's time to go back to a back 4. We simply don't have 3 CBs that are good enough to all start but we now have lots of solid fullbacks and wingers

Can we beat at US team with a A squad? Not really important.

This team needs to beat the Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica types. We have not been able to do that historically and after pumping a bunch of minnows with goals and beating Haiti, people are getting a head of themselves. 

This game adds credence to the idea we’re becoming more competitive. Look at it that way.

Just now, Mango said:

Watching on FOX today was a treat.

Up until the end when the Play by play guy said the "The US continuing their domination of their northern neighbor and will surely be prepared to play Mexico in the knockout rounds" 

Maybe it’s a loser way of looking at it but USA are probably just as likely to win the Gold Cup as Mexico are and we played them pretty well the entire game albeit we didn’t do much in the final third to score besides a few chances. We needed to play a team that was going to push back at us before the knockout stage and we’ve got that experience in us now. 

Watch back the film, see what needs to change and prepare for the next opponent. 

I’m not settling for a well we did well , we need to win games like this where we dominate possession, those days are long gone , we had the players to win this game no excuses I don’t care who we were missing . Now let’s go on and try to get as far as we can in this tournament we have the horses.

We should have gotten a tie out of this game, shaft on the penalty call aside.  Larin missed a great chance on that horrible giveaway in the first minute of the second half.  Cavallini doesn't have a breakaway gear on his opportunity.  Buchanon misses by inches on one shot and then gets stopped on that half chance.  We had the chances to do the job but didn't do it.  However, that's behind us and now the focus is on the QF.

Edited by BearcatSA

Just now, JuicyHam said:

Up until the end when the Play by play guy said the "The US continuing their domination of their northern neighbor and will surely be prepared to play Mexico in the knockout rounds" 

Is that comment untrue? Although perhaps, for some perspective, he could mention how the USA has been the home team at this tournament for two decades and yet has been owned by Mexico. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

We were missing probably 7 starters but the US were without their starting 11. I don't care how we played in the 2nd half or after the goal you simply cannot give up a goal after 20+ seconds.....you know the pressure is coming for the first 10 mins you start with your wingbacks defending and holding the fort initially. It's time to go back to a back 4. We simply don't have 3 CBs that are good enough to all start but we now have lots of solid fullbacks and wingers

Better to learn this lesson now.  Maybe now our starts are more conservative with our outside wingbacks playing defensively for the first ten minutes until the game is established.

Best to learn these lessons when the games don't really matter.

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

I’m not settling for a well we did well , we need to win games like this where we dominate possession, those days are long gone , we had the players to win this game no excuses I don’t care who we were missing . Now let’s go on and try to get as far as we can in this tournament we have the horses.

And yet but we didn't need to win this game, we played well against a decent team, and we advanced the program. As long as we are taking steps forward. Next step: advance to semis.

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Watching on FOX today was a treat.

I honestly think this is the worst Wheeler-Dunfield broadcast I've ever listened to so I'll try to watch on fox if we get a game covered by them again. I've always liked John Strong as a commentator a lot and I can just skip the studio shows so I don't have to listen to Lalas