GC: Canada vs The USA - Sunday, July 18th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Kansas City

Canada vs USA
Sunday, July 18th
5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific
Broadcast on ONESoccer

---
A win or a draw against the USA will have us facing the runner-up of Group C
A loss to the USA and we would face the winner of Group C

At present, the group standings are:

Canada 🡲  Goals For 8 & Goals Against 2 = +6
USA      🡲   Goals For 7 & Goals Against 1 = +6

Going into this match, we are ahead on "Goals For", the second tiebreak.

"12.9. At the conclusion of each group in the Concacaf Gold Cup, PMAs shall be ranked
according to the following criteria:
12.9.1. Greatest number of points obtained in all matches;
12.9.2. Goal difference in all group matches;
12.9.3. Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

---

Who will be missing?
Eustáquio is suspended from yellow card card accumulation.
Paton is still in COVID quarantine protocols of some sort
Gutiérrez is technically in the roster but is still physically with the Whitecaps at present

Canadian players that are on a single yellow card and at risk of missing the ¼ final
Cavallini
Fraser
Johnston
Kaye
Vitória

"Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition."

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/vu5ahqsc/2021_concacaf_gold_cup_regulation_-_eng.pdf

---
The US squad:
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/07/berhalter-names-23-player-roster-for-2021-concacaf-gold-cup

US players that are on a yellow card:
Gyasi Zardes
Kellyn Acosta

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I was very impressed by Haiti's drive and press today. Canada worried me with lots of uncertain moments in breaking the press. One positive is that JH got the subs mostly right, but we need to line up differently based on today's lessons.  We saw today that Henry is not the best on the (outside) right side of a three man defence, and Johnston is better in the back than in midfield. And yes, Vitoria looked very tired and slow in today's match.  Cavallini looked much less of a player than did Larin today .                              Against the USA, I might start Crepeau, Henry, Miller, Johnston, Laryea; Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Buchanan; Akinola, Larin (4-4-2 or 3,5,2, or 4-3-3 should evolve as the game flows). Laryea would be a step up for pace on Henry in a fullback role. In addition, if Vitoria is well rested, then perhaps he compliments Henry with four at the back and Laryea plays right wing back.                                                                                        I hope that JH does not introduce something brand new against the USA, but he does need to change up a couple of things because the starters against Haiti struggled against the press, and the US will certainly press us.   PS. I am not certain about the status of Eustaquio, but if he is available, he would take either Piette's or Kaye's place in my suggested starting 11.

^^^ Thats what makes me a little nervous.  the subs were good, but the starters were having a heck of a time with haiti.  I hope Herdman works out his starters and formation a bit better or USA will have us down a goal or two before we know it.  

I would go with Akinola over Cav, would have taken MAK out but Eustaquio yellows means he stays in, I'd still take MAK/Piette over Fraser.  Hopefully Herdman can pull a rabbit out of his hat like that first game against USA, slot the right pegs in the right holes and give the yankees a whopping they wont soon forget.  

Got to rest Vitoria for this one, I think his sub par performance was down to fatigue which will be worse on two days rest. And he is in a yellow. I am thinking:

Larin

Hoilett         Oso

Tajon      Kaye       Fraser       Laryea

Sturing Doneil Johnston 

But making use of subs earlier than later with Theo, Paton, Pasher, Ayo all getting significant minutes

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Dike may not even play 

Or may not start

Too bad, I’d like to see us go against their best.  Judging from what I saw against Martinique, the US plays consistently at a high tempo (something that for whatever reason we don’t do).  They look to play the ball over the top into space in the corners for their wingbacks (Bello looked particularly effective).  Their mids aren’t afraid to make forward runs in attack which will cause problems to our D who can’t seem to figure out their responsibilities.  We should be able to counter attack with success.  Also, I find that they lack the quality in the final 3rd (unless it’s a pinpoint cross from the corners into Dike). 

Get all of the physical specimen out there to grind it out. If Dike starts, I'd like to see Henry start regardless of the last match. I think Henry saved his yellow card for this match LOL. Get our little French Bulldog Piette bossing the central midfield. Give Akinola his first start against his country of birth and let Larin play more wide. 

Hoilett Akinola Larin

Pasher  Piette Osorio Buchanan

Miller  Henry  Johnston

Crepeau

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Get all of the physical specimen out there to grind it out. If Dike starts, I'd like to see Henry start regardless of the last match. I think Henry saved his yellow card for this match LOL. Get our little French Bulldog Piette bossing the central midfield. Give Akinola his first start against his country of birth and let Larin play more wide. 

Hoilett Akinola Larin

Pasher  Piette Osorio Buchanan

Miller  Henry  Johnston

Crepeau

I like this XI for the USA game

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Got to rest Vitoria for this one, I think his sub par performance was down to fatigue which will be worse on two days rest. And he is in a yellow. I am thinking:

Larin

Hoilett         Oso

Tajon      Kaye       Fraser       Laryea

Sturing Doneil Johnston 

But making use of subs earlier than later with Theo, Paton, Pasher, Ayo all getting significant minutes

I like this but I might start Ayo over Larin and Pasher over Tajon, just for rest purposes.

So with Eustaquio's intentional yellow, I guess Herdman tipped his hand that he cares more about rest/suspension than finishing first in the group. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sturing get his only minutes of the tournament here, and for Ayo to start. Herdman strikes me as a guy that would use/believe in the motivation Ayo would get by playing against the USA.