WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With Suriname's result over Aruba today (6-0), we clearly are in a goal difference battle. Right now they got 3 over Cayman and are up 9, and I really do believe we have to go for more. Because our final match might come down to that, if we are drawn on points and they decide to play for a draw as the goal average benefits them. 

I much prefer to go into Suriname up on goals, so the draw favours us, they have to push, and we can hit them on the counter without having to stress out about running up a score.

Hopefully we can have David for that game and it won't matter as much. 

Would a good competitive mens league team in Toronto or elsewhere be able to hold their own against the Cayman Island National team? The big difference I noticed between the Cayman Islands say vs. the US Virgin Islands team is roster make up. The Cayman Islands seems to be selected from their domestic top flight where USVI seems to be a miss mash of players from playing at US Colleges, low level pro etc. 

Edited by Cblake

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Against the Cayman islands on neutral ground?

Why not. Recall the 2014 qualifiers ... somehow we managed to only beat St. Lucia 4-1 in Canada, despite the St. Lucia squad clearly not being match fit, let alone any good.

And a month later, we drew Puerto Rico in Canada. At that point, Puerto Rico was ranked 131 in the world, not far ahead of the Cayman Islands.

I certainly don't think we'll lose, but no guarantees this will be better than 3-0, even if unlikely!

Edited by nfitz

30 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Well lads.... it’s game day, again! And from what I’ve heard the only player who has returned to their club is Atiba. Should be a strong lineup for tonight

Hoping both of these are still the case. Let's break our 8-0 record!

Very excited for tonight! Pedal to the metal. Let's see the scoreline we should have had vs. Bermuda. I really want Cavallini to score multiple goals so that he gets his confidence back. Anything +6 or better gets us 1st in the group on goal differential heading into June. Let's get it. Secure the goal differential lead today and then increase it even more in June against Aruba.

Let's hope all the test results are negative for both teams and everything goes ahead tonight. Can't wait for kickoff!

I just learned that Cayman Islands is one of 3 CONCACAF nations to go undefeated in 2018 World Cup Qualifying! The others being Guyana and Cuba. All three teams tied both of their games (Cayman Islands in the first round, Guyana and Cuba in the 2nd round) and then lost on away goals.

For the record, they got their 2 draws against Belize. Not exactly a powerhouse but Canada tied Belize in the third round in Belize that same cycle.

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Definitely a bit odd. Whats one game or at least staying with the team and returning together? It is Atiba though and he can do what he wants :)

I think it was on the One Soccer broadcast that said it was pre arranged for him to leave after the first game.  That was why he went the full 90

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

St. Clair time!

Judging by the post shared by CMNT yesterday, it would seem like Crepeau is expected to get the start.  But I could be wrong.

Borjan is still my number one but I personally like what I saw from St. Clair last season over what I've seen from Crepeau overall.  Mind you, St. Clair has only done it for half an MLS season.