WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

Just now, nfitz said:

Hey, I hadn't checked in for over an hour ... I had no idea what had transpired after that post - but the individual seemed to be taking a comment personally, when I hadn't seen them actually claim Covid was just a big conspiracy.

Cayman, Aruba, Suriname...

No but he boasted about being an ubermensch covid survivor and one of the chosen illuminati, purified by its negligible effects, ready to lead us into the future alongside his Jeanne d'Arc resisting the flames in Rouen. I can imagine her screaming her top off. Something to be proud of, no doubt.

Or maybe that is just me reading Ayn Rand between the lines. 

Cayman having an extra day rest benefits them, in fact, but their shenanigans just may be a motivation to stick it to them even worse. Make us lose our flights will you, we'll show you. This "American" posting like an ass makes me want to beat Cayman even harder, but pretending it's not just WC qualifying but him.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With Suriname's result over Aruba today (6-0), we clearly are in a goal difference battle. Right now they got 3 over Cayman and are up 9, and I really do believe we have to go for more. Because our final match might come down to that, if we are drawn on points and they decide to play for a draw as the goal average benefits them. 

I much prefer to go into Suriname up on goals, so the draw favours us, they have to push, and we can hit them on the counter without having to stress out about running up a score.

Agreed! In the meantime, does the starting lineup get changed? I would lean to having Hoillet sit and Millar start,  start St. Clair and rest Borjan, start Kaye since Hutchinson has left, and perhaps start either Waterman, Sturring or Ferrreira (based on training results) in place of Miller. Cavallini gets a chance to pot a couple in the first half, but gets replaced by Corbeanu in the second if the slump continues. Thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If you are concerned about too much chatter, you could just do one post rather than two.

Hopefully ... but I still really wish they'd have just delayed things until June. I'm not sure letting people travel all over the world and return home again in March is a great idea. Maybe in June.

You wonderful gentleman just have me in so much of a tiz I used my phone and managed to quote myself instead of edit. 

I don't envy those trying to schedule all of this. I would have also preferred 4 games in June too. Might not have been logistically possible either.

We don't know the full details of exactly what has happened but the majority of these teams have taken this seriously and have had no issues during this camp. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cayman, Aruba, Suriname...

No but he boasted about being an ubermensch covid survivor and one of the chosen illuminati, purified by its negligible effects, ready to lead us into the future alongside his Jeanne d'Arc resisting the flames in Rouen. I can imagine her screaming her top off. Something to be proud of, no doubt.

Or maybe that is just me reading Ayn Rand between the lines. 

I'm not even sure who you are talking about here. I only responded to Archer's comments. I'm not sure who an "American" is. Later I replied to Wyatt - but I'm not really familiar with them - and certainly haven't read all of their posts.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cayman having an extra day rest benefits them, in fact, but their shenanigans just may be a motivation to stick it to them even worse. Make us lose our flights will you, we'll show you. This "American" posting like an ass makes me want to beat Cayman even harder, but pretending it's not just WC qualifying but him.

Ah, that's a good point. Playing on 4 days rest is probably a good thing!

From Neil Davidson on Twitter. The domino effect that led to today's events began when Cayman Islands left Suriname for Florida:

- The team's charter flight from Suriname to Sarasota, Florida was turned away by U.S. Customs
- Plane diverted to Miami, but then they were told they couldn't land there since it wasn't a scheduled flight
- Plane diverted to Tampa, but no lab in the Tampa area could get results before Monday
- Did rapid tests instead at the hotel so they could get results in time for today's match, but the rapid test results weren't accepted since they weren't PCR tests
- Cayman Islands FA got a lab that was closed today to open so that they could do PCR tests
- Test results are expected between 2 PM and 3 PM ET tomorrow (Monday)

I assume the Cayman Islands FA had something set up with a lab in Sarasota to get the proper test results in time for today, but when their flight couldn't land there, all of their plans started to unravel. Let's hope they get the test results tomorrow afternoon!

Link to the article: Canada-Caymans World Cup qualifier delayed after FIFA rejects Caymans' COVID-19 tests | CTV News

Edited by jtpc

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

If the match actually goes ahead tomorrow I don't think much changes about the result (assuming everyone is still available). I would play the young guys (Millar, Corbeanu, etc.) because I feel like they will do everything to impress JH and will have zero qualms about putting 15 past the Cayman Islands.

Couldn't agree more. 

I'm actually surprised that Atiba/Larin weren't given the headstart to go back home. (Maybe he won't play).

I hope we see a lineup similar to this:

image.png.a5d460723ec0b56a17d557fef88c0656.png

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

Couldn't agree more. 

I'm actually surprised that Atiba/Larin weren't given the headstart to go back home. (Maybe he won't play).

I hope we see a lineup similar to this:

image.png.a5d460723ec0b56a17d557fef88c0656.png

Atiba is back in Turkey. He was only there for the first game. 

33 minutes ago, jtpc said:

From Neil Davidson on Twitter. The domino effect that led to today's events began when Cayman Islands left Suriname for Florida:

- The team's charter flight from Suriname to Sarasota, Florida was turned away by U.S. Customs
- Plane diverted to Miami, but then they were told they couldn't land there since it wasn't a scheduled flight
- Plane diverted to Tampa, but no lab in the Tampa area could get results before Monday
- Did rapid tests instead at the hotel so they could get results in time for today's match, but the rapid test results weren't accepted since they weren't PCR tests
- Cayman Islands FA got a lab that was closed today to open so that they could do PCR tests
- Test results are expected between 2 PM and 3 PM ET tomorrow (Monday)

I assume the Cayman Islands had something set up with a lab in Sarasota to get the proper test results in time for today, but when their flight couldn't land there, all of their plans started to unravel. Let's hope they get the test results tomorrow afternoon!

Link to the article: Canada-Caymans World Cup qualifier delayed after FIFA rejects Caymans' COVID-19 tests | CTV News

How the hell do they get turned away by customs? You’d think this would be cleared ahead of time. 

21 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Forfeiting a 3-0 loss is worse off for Canada though. 

With the current squad maybe ... but Canada has a long history of playing down to teams.

I wouldn't want to tempt fate though ... I don't think we'd lose, but after saying that, are we in for a 1-0 win?

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

With the current squad maybe ... but Canada has a long history of playing down to teams.

I wouldn't want to tempt fate though ... I don't think we'd lose, but after saying that, are we in for a 1-0 win?

Against the Cayman islands on neutral ground?

Edited by king1010

44 minutes ago, archer21 said:

How the hell do they get turned away by customs? You’d think this would be cleared ahead of time. 

That’s a really good question.  I spoke to someone (a long time Voyageur but doesn’t post here) who did a short internship at the St. Vincent and the Grenadines FA.  The stories seemed to be a combination of amateurism but also a very very small number of hardworking staff who tried their best but had difficulties managing basic logistics.  He said he would never complain about the CSA ever again.