Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

3 minutes ago, frattinator said:

I never understood this line of thinking. Just because someone is a successful athlete they are immune to shit people say? Especially since they actually didn’t do anything wrong but just made an informed decision for the good of their (very short compared to most of us) career? 

Tomori does not read this board, does not care what we think, if he did and someone just called him dumb here, I'm sure he wouldn't gaf. If people are "brigading" his social media that's something else but we have someone goofing here and another dude taking exception like it's a significant moral transgression. Lol come on y'all.

Anyway hope we get Jebbison.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

We need to stop with this kind of shit. A player can make any decision they want when it comes to the national team. It's a very personal decision and it's within their right to make that choice at any time and for any reason. 

I know if I had the option when I was 19 to walk into some 200th ranked FIFA nation or hold out for the 0.000001% chance of playing for Canada, I'd hold out. For me, wearing a Canada shirt in some meaningless game for 10 minutes would mean way more than having an entire international career with some other nation. But I also know some others wouldn't agree and that's okay.

Let's hope players come our way, but we seriously need to fuck off with saying that made the right decision or not. 

While I agree with pretty much all you are saying I can't agree with the last line, people have opinions to discuss here and what's wrong with some good speculation?

54 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Lets just let this young man develop as a player first . he is only 17 or 18 , I think he will choose Canada at the end of the day.

If he continues to produce in League One heading into January, that’s hard to ignore. It’s not like we’re overflowing with pure strikers.

David and Larin, Ugbo, and then we’re into the likes of Cavallini, Tesho, or out of position wingers.

9 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

If he continues to produce in League One heading into January, that’s hard to ignore. It’s not like we’re overflowing with pure strikers.

David and Larin, Ugbo, and then we’re into the likes of Cavallini, Tesho, or out of position wingers.

Don’t forget Akinola when he comes back.  Buchanan has played up high, same with Hoilett. It can turn quickly with bodies as the second window showed us.  I’d like to see him capped so we know he’s in our plans going forward.  Unless he erupts surely he knows he’s a long shot for anyones World Cup roster next year, assuming we qualify.  

28 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Don’t forget Akinola when he comes back.  Buchanan has played up high, same with Hoilett. It can turn quickly with bodies as the second window showed us.  I’d like to see him capped so we know he’s in our plans going forward.  Unless he erupts surely he knows he’s a long shot for anyones World Cup roster next year, assuming we qualify.  

Right, but Akinola’s not going to be back in January or March barring some divine intervention. I did mention the out of position guys. If Cavallini can make a 23 man roster against Costa Rica ans Mexico, and see the field, then Jebbison isn’t out of mix, especially in those triple windows. I’m not going to tempt the soccer gods by saying the i word, but it’s always nice to have options.

5 hours ago, Yoginess said:

We need to stop with this kind of shit. A player can make any decision they want when it comes to the national team. It's a very personal decision and it's within their right to make that choice at any time and for any reason. 

I know if I had the option when I was 19 to walk into some 200th ranked FIFA nation or hold out for the 0.000001% chance of playing for Canada, I'd hold out. For me, wearing a Canada shirt in some meaningless game for 10 minutes would mean way more than having an entire international career with some other nation. But I also know some others wouldn't agree and that's okay.

Let's hope players come our way, but we seriously need to fuck off with saying that made the right decision or not. 

I 1000% understand what you're saying. However this doesn't really apply to Fikayo...here's why.

The reality is, he only came onto the national attention solely due to playing with Canada U20's against England - we all know that. If not for that, it's arguable that he would've been on their radar and it's also part of the reason why he's only amassed 36' minutes over the likes Conor Coady, and Tyrone Mings....sheit even Ben White might surpass him.

So yes it's a decision that he gets to make...but like everyone else in this world, we get to make decisions that we may think is best for ourselves, however as my dad has asked me "is it a smart one or a bad one". You can twist it to say everyone grows/learns from the good and bad decisions you make in life. But knowing that reaching the pinnacle of football players career is quote on quote more attainable by playing with Canada over England, and they played you 6 minutes just to cap you, because they know your circumstance. The rule gets change (in which he must know), and the same shit happens to him again! I'm sorry I can't say he made a wise decision - but I guess he's "betting on himself" November 2022 will tell.

Lastly your statement acts as if he had no connection to Canada at all. If this same situation was to happen with Ferdi, and we were saying "dumb decision" then you're completely right based on what you said above. Heck even Scott Arfield could fall into that catergory....but not Tomori. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

The reality is, he only came onto the national attention solely due to playing with Canada U20's against England - we all know that. If not for that, it's arguable that he would've been on their radar and it's also part of the reason why he's only amassed 36' minutes over the likes Conor Coady, and Tyrone Mings....sheit even Ben White might surpass him.

Come on... 

He was a youth star for Chelsea and debuted for them in the EPL at 18. He didn’t come to national attention because of some youth friendly no one watched. 

You’re playing for Chelsea at 18 you get noticed, period. Jebbison was playing for Sheffield United and got noticed. Don’t be silly. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Come on... 

He was a youth star for Chelsea and debuted for them in the EPL at 18. He didn’t come to national attention because of some youth friendly no one watched. 

You’re playing for Chelsea at 18 you get noticed, period. Jebbison was playing for Sheffield United and got noticed. Don’t be silly. 

I don't think you're aware of the story, if you believe that. 

Facts are fact...he played with Canada got noticed after they won, and then got called into the next available England camp without playing a single youth game before. Meanwhile his academy mates who iirc won the youth league and cup double with Loftus-Cheek, Tammy Abraham, Clarke-Salter, Dominic Solanke, and they all had U15,U16,U18 caps. Tomori not one.

I'm sorry, but I'll say you're naive. 

Edited by Shway

I think your both right.  He first got noticed by England when we played them and beat them with him leading the back line. He was then called into their setup and play for them including when they won the U20 World Cup. But what got the senior’s side attention was playing for Chelsea at a young age which led to his first cap.  The reality is that if he didn’t play youth for them, that would have go their attention.

53 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Playing is a broad term for what he did for them when he was 18 (15/16 season)

He played 30' and then did not play for their first team again in next 3 seasons.

Playing again after loan spells, during their transfer ban (and injury to Rudiger at least, if I recall) in 19/20.

Edit: Worth remembering that 15/16 was Leicester's year and a number of the big clubs struggled. Chelsea finished 10th and had nothing to play for at the end.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Playing is a broad term for what he did for them when he was 18 (15/16 season)

He played 30' and then did not play for their first team again in next 3 seasons.

Playing again after loan spells, during their transfer ban (and injury to Rudiger at least, if I recall) in 19/20.

And then getting the 6 minutes of fame only because they knew Herdman came selling what he wanted and they knew they could potentially lose him, so he got cynically cap tied.

Good luck Fikayo. 

DJ is young and doesn’t have to commit to a long term decision soon imo. I’ll be surprised if he does. As a teenager the lure of playing for England is second to none. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I don't think you're aware of the story, if you believe that. 

Facts are fact...he played with Canada got noticed after they won, and then got called into the next available England camp without playing a single youth game before. Meanwhile his academy mates who iirc won the youth league and cup double with Loftus-Cheek, Tammy Abraham, Clarke-Salter, Dominic Solanke, and they all had U15,U16,U18 caps. Tomori not one.

I'm sorry, but I'll say you're naive. 

I am aware of the "story". I was living in England at that time and Tomori was not some unknown that England just noticed through a friendly. Sure he was MoTM in that game but he was also a youth starlet at one of the biggest clubs/academies in the country. 

Playing for Canada didn't hurt him but he would have been noticed regardless. You're saying him playing for Canada U20s was solely what brought him to national attention when that is not even close to true. Find me an 18 year old English player that has played first team football for Chelsea without getting a youth cap. 

If Jeb continues like this 100% he could and maybe even should get called up. Corbeanu got Canada caps for arguably less, and I would put Jebbison over Brym at the moment too. Maybe even Cav. Certainly over Cav if we are talking future potential.

Personally, I would love to see Jebbison in Canada Red and White in January. 

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If Jeb continues like this 100% he could and maybe even should get called up. Corbeanu got Canada caps for arguably less, and I would put Jebbison over Brym at the moment too. Maybe even Cav. Certainly over Cav if we are talking future potential.

Personally, I would love to see Jebbison in Canada Red and White in January. 

Somebody else got called up consistently in the less form than Corbeanu playing in the same league. Heck Theos matched the goal output in substantially less minutes. 

So I’ve realized there isn’t a barometer to say those kind of things. However I too wish to see DJ in Canada red, here’s hoping it’s very soon. If he was to commit today, he could be in the top 5 for our striker pool. 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, frattinator said:

I never understood this line of thinking. Just because someone is a successful athlete they are immune to shit people say? Especially since they actually didn’t do anything wrong but just made an informed decision for the good of their (very short compared to most of us) career? 

A true alpha or sigma male is not bothered by the words of others. Tomori seems like an alpha. He's probably not bothered. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Somebody else got called up consistently in the less form than Corbeanu playing in the same league. Heck Theos matched the goal output in substantially less minutes. 

So I’ve realized there isn’t a barometer to say those kind of things. However I too wish to see DJ in Canada red, here’s hoping it’s very soon. If he was to commit today, he could be in the top 5 for our striker pool. 

Yes I could have added Millar to that list too, but his move and form at Basel I think puts him a notch above Brym and Corbeanu

Edited by Bertuzzi44