Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

Rashford and Calvert-Lewin weren't called up this time either. They are both 24 though. I am sure we can make a list of forwards in the youth ranks that England have that are playing at a higher level then Jebbison. It is extremely tough. 

Just browsing wikipedia...

Rhian Brewster (age 21), 35 games for Sheffield United

Folarin Balogun (age 20), 2 games for Arsenal

Cole Palmer (age 19) 2 games for Manchester City

Tyreece John-Jules (age 20) Arsenal product currently 11 games for Blackpool

Joe Gelhardt (age 19) 2 games for Leeds

This is just strikers currently in their U20 roster, not evening looking at the U19 roster he is on. I know he can play deeper as a AM or even out wide, so you could add more players to the list. He is versatile but so are most modern forwards. 

As has been brought up multiple times, we don't have a youth system to speak of, except when a major tournament rolls around. We don't have the infrastructure in place. It make sense for him to ride the England youth setup as long as possible. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

I think this is the reason he hasn't joined yet. Why join us just to be rooted to the bench when he can play meaningful minutes for England's u19s and get noticed by scouts. Jebbison has dropped a lot of clues that he will join Canada including liking a recent Canada soccer video on instagram. Within the next year he could find himself at higher level and if he is in form and we have an injury he most likely will come.

647589625_Screenshot2021-11-11at11_27_59AM.thumb.png.8f29fb060d649f6b0877dee4a4a126f4.png

Not dissing the Instagram sleuthing skills, but I do wonder if some of the guys who have chosen other countries had a history of liking Insta posts by confirmed Canucks.  A lot of these guys know each other on a personal and professional level so I only put so much stock into the idea of reading a lot into these clues.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not dissing the Instagram sleuthing skills, but I do wonder if some of the guys who have chosen other countries had a history of liking Insta posts by confirmed Canucks.  A lot of these guys know each other on a personal and professional level so I only put so much stock into the idea of reading a lot into these clues.  

Fair point. I do agree that players hyping each other happens a lot but I did find it interesting that Jebbison specifically liked this post by Canada Soccer which outlined the roster for this window. 

16 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Fair point. I do agree that players hyping each other happens a lot but I did find it interesting that Jebbison specifically liked this post by Canada Soccer which outlined the roster for this window. 

He also recently liked a comment that told him to play for Canada. That is probably buried in this thread somewhere. 

Realistically speaking, if Jebbison wants to play senior international football, he joins Canada. It's pretty much that simple. Yes, there is a chance he could make England's squad, but it's pretty unlikely speaking purely from a statistical point of view. I really don't see a reality where he doesn't commit to Canada. When that is, is another question.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Realistically speaking, if Jebbison wants to play senior international football, he joins Canada. It's pretty much that simple. Yes, there is a chance he could make England's squad, but it's pretty unlikely speaking purely from a statistical point of view. I really don't see a reality where he doesn't commit to Canada. When that is, is another question.

Yes, I can picture a scenario where he gets hot for a couple of years and prolongs the decision like Junior Hoilett, but that's about it for a worst case scenario.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone who wants to play in Qatar will have to be on board before then and show they are worth the spot (assuming our current core players are healthy).  The only guy I could see even remotely being considered as a late addition to our already-qualified team would be Ferdi who is playing at a very high level and would be an obvious influx of quality.  No disrespect to Jebbison (or the other prospects), but it wouldn’t be a guy currently playing in the English third tier or for a club’s youth team.  

There are times and condition where you would cap a promising prospect just to lock them down.  Our WC squad isn’t one of them.  

Agree that with our current squad he's likely on the outside looking in, more just suggesting that if he wanted to bet on himself and have a shot, he's running out of time to commit and making enough of an impact to prove he's deserving

On the flip side, maybe Herdman has had that "real" conversation and said look you are on the outside for 2022 but we do want you. Go to develop with England for the next year or two and come join up for next cycle

Or maybe none of this has happened at all, but as some sleuths like to point out, the breadcrumbs are pointing him towards us (not that he's likely to get anything more than a cynical England call at most anyway)

8 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm more pessimistic. 

This is the type of player that joins Canada at 25 after it finally becomes clear he won't play for the nation with a better rep.

We may have come a long way but we aren't there yet.

This is a different Canada though. Back then we didn't have a player the calibre of Davies. Probably not even David. Also, this team is much closer to qualifying for a World Cup than when JDG2 or Assmear were making their decisions.

I think he is being smart at this stage (unlike Enes Sali and his family).  If he comes to Canada now, he isnt a starter and may not even make the bench in a full strength side especially with Ugbo now joining.

Why not wait and develop a year or two more and see where you get.  If he continues on the exponential growth path he has been, then perhaps England is a possibility.  If it slows and/or Canada qualifies for the World Cup and you can switch and play meaningful minutes in one, why not make the jump.  It is really is that simple in my mind.  He is just being prudent.

For those reasons, I suspect a switch if we make the World Cup and he continues to progress and believes he can play a part in it.  If we dont make it, I doubt he switches for some time while he waits on his England chance no matter how remote.  As he is more "Canadian" than some of the duals, I suspect he leans more to Canada than some of the others but that doesn't mean he isn't keeping his options open at this stage.  In that sense, he is different than Tomori who really was English but just qualified for a Canadian passport.  I believe that led him to just throw his lot in with the English early even if that keeps him on the fringes of playing international football as that was where his heart truly is.

14 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Right now ? No one, in a year ? vilsaint? Wright ? Is Michel a striker ? Peruzza ? Akinola ? A kid from the Can PL or say MBongue ? So much will change. 

Michel has gone from trialing at Bayern to trialing at Pacific so things are changing quickly for him.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, canuckgbp said:

Rashford and Calvert-Lewin weren't called up this time either. They are both 24 though. I am sure we can make a list of forwards in the youth ranks that England have that are playing at a higher level then Jebbison. It is extremely tough. 

Just browsing wikipedia...

Rhian Brewster (age 21), 35 games for Sheffield United

Folarin Balogun (age 20), 2 games for Arsenal

Cole Palmer (age 19) 2 games for Manchester City

Tyreece John-Jules (age 20) Arsenal product currently 11 games for Blackpool

Joe Gelhardt (age 19) 2 games for Leeds

This is just strikers currently in their U20 roster, not evening looking at the U19 roster he is on. I know he can play deeper as a AM or even out wide, so you could add more players to the list. He is versatile but so are most modern forwards. 

As has been brought up multiple times, we don't have a youth system to speak of, except when a major tournament rolls around. We don't have the infrastructure in place. It make sense for him to ride the England youth setup as long as possible. 

Folarin Balogun is also in the midst of a dual-national battle with the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 8:10 PM, Dominic94 said:

Hopefully he’s not dumb like Tomori.

We need to stop with this kind of shit. A player can make any decision they want when it comes to the national team. It's a very personal decision and it's within their right to make that choice at any time and for any reason. 

I know if I had the option when I was 19 to walk into some 200th ranked FIFA nation or hold out for the 0.000001% chance of playing for Canada, I'd hold out. For me, wearing a Canada shirt in some meaningless game for 10 minutes would mean way more than having an entire international career with some other nation. But I also know some others wouldn't agree and that's okay.

Let's hope players come our way, but we seriously need to fuck off with saying that made the right decision or not. 

26 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

We need to stop with this kind of shit. A player can make any decision they want when it comes to the national team. It's a very personal decision and it's within their right to make that choice at any time and for any reason. 

Especially Tomori who was raised in England and played all his youth football there

11 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Tomori read this thread, cried, and dried his tears with €1000s. B nice 2 Tomori.

I never understood this line of thinking. Just because someone is a successful athlete they are immune to shit people say? Especially since they actually didn’t do anything wrong but just made an informed decision for the good of their (very short compared to most of us) career?