Joel Waterman

nolando

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I thought he looked better than most of TFCs youngsters. I’m not sure he’s athletic enough though

The most profound question in this thread. That's the main concern I see as well, is he athletic enough? He got beat easily a few times and got muscled off the ball easily. I'm not sure how much he can work on these things but if he can mitigate it with smart positional play, composure and decision making, he will make it. If not...well, he'll be back at Spruce Meadows before you know it.  

Anyhow, to echo the sentiment in this thread, I think his showing was hot and cold, hot on the ball, cold off of it. 

Edited by Macksam

21 hours ago, Floortom said:

umm no. He got beat on the Laryea goal, got beat by Shaffelburg a few times. He got roasted on /MLS and by Montreal fans for being so bad.

Yeah, I don’t want to overblow it but he did have a few plays where he was at fault. At CB it’s better to be consistent and error free rather than play a 95% outstanding game then have a big gaf or two. This is probably the biggest reason why Doniel Henry plays in Korea and not Europe.

i’m not saying he’s a lost cause, far from it. At 25 a CB can still improve their game. But right now, I think he’s more a backup for Montreal and peripheral candidate for the men’s team

Edited by ag futbol

Waterman definitely didn't cover himself in glory today but he is a serviceable replacement CB in MLS. Like other comments said he played solid with the ball but had trouble actually defending. The two players he seemed to have the most trouble with were Laryea and Shaffelburg. I didn't watch the TFC CCL games but wasn't Shaffelburg burning Leon defenders also?  Laryea was easily TFC's best player yesterday, every time he touched the ball as an Impact fan I was worried. 

In the end Waterman is a depth piece for Montreal and for the MNT and that's okay. 

While these are all fair takes, I think we need to pull the reigns back on predicting what level of CB Joel is and let him gain more experience. We must remember only a couple years ago he was a CM for Trinity Western University. The lad only has 20 something odd professional games at CB, most of those at a lower level. You can see it in his confidence on the ball and ability to distribute that he was a CM. You can also see it in his defensive positioning, the way his first instinct is to clamp down and close space on an incoming attacker instead of jockeying him and closing seams. Pacey players like Laryea and Shaff are 100% going to take advantage of positional blunders like this, and it’s up to Joel to learn from these mistakes and implement them into his game. These are all things he will improve on simply with game time and experience in the position. I think Joel has the makings of being a good modern day CB, and hopefully we all see that soon. 

knowing when to close space on a defender, and knowing when you have to jockey and close seams, is a delicate balancing act he will only learn from getting chances to play. This needs to become 2nd nature for him

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

He led Montreal with a 7.8 today from Sofascore. I know he wasn't great in the first game, but on the national team, he's our most competent passer from the back. He has to do this consistently, but I'm not gonna write him off yet.

I feel he'll take over from Struna soon.  Only issue is Binks will be back soon, so he'll still be #4 CB on a 3 CB team.

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats 9-10 starts this year...Joel, ZBG, Basong and Miller are doing some good work out east.  Plus they can build some repor with Breza/Sirois for when they take over the CDN keeper position (HEHEHEHE).  

Don't forget Choinière, starting to get some solid minutes and looking good as well.

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The Montreal defense has been pretty good as of late but the whole team has a bad habit of coughing up points from winning positions. They seem to regularly allow teams back into games late on and lack the mentality to kill off games.

Yup I believe they have the most points given up from winning positions in the league this year, 17 or so. A lot of young players, it'll come with experience..i hope