Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

8 hours ago, Lansdude said:

There is a possible universe where Osorio and Arfield are the exact same guys but have each other's names.

I have said it before and I will say if again - the multiverse theory is one huge mindfuck. The implications - all reasonable conclusions given what we know about physics - are absolutely crazy. 

One thing to consider about Davies at LW is that his defensive back tracking and buckets of pace makes him an LB's best friend.  If Miller can do the job, then Davies is the LW.  

I think the threat is down the right side because Pulisic loves to drifts left and his combo work with the other US left flank players may pose a serious problem for Laryea and the mid entrusted with defensive support.  Laryea has shown in MLS to be very good going forward but I'm not sure how he'll handle  it against this opponent, regardless of what people here think of their current form.

Jonathan David is killing it in Europa with 2 goals on St Etienne

That's how he was used today Screenshot_20190919-174544_FotMob.thumb.jpg.2977aa55dc8f43544d631243f5d91e44.jpg

I stand with my 4-2-3-1 formation against the USA

----------------------Cavallini 

-------Davies-------David---------Hoillett

--------------Arfield------------Kaye

Adekugbe------Cornelius------Vitoria-------Laryea

--------------------------Borjan

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's how he was used today Screenshot_20190919-174544_FotMob.thumb.jpg.2977aa55dc8f43544d631243f5d91e44.jpg

Is Cornelius the best option at CB vs the us ? 

Also Kaye vs Hutch vs Piette vs Eustaquio I honesty don’t know who should start. What a great problem to have. 

7 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Also Kaye vs Hutch vs Piette vs Eustaquio I honesty don’t know who should start. What a great problem to have. 

Henry is out due to the red (2 yellows) so the centre backs pretty much pick themselves. 

And for DM, Eustaquio is not seeing game time yet with his club, so I doubt he would be shoved into action against the US.  The other conundrum about Piette/MAK/Hutch is the only real issue IMO. 

8 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I would seriously consider starting Kamal Miller over Cornelius at CB. Herdman seems to like what Cornelius brings though so who knows. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The other conundrum about Piette/MAK/Hutch is the only real issue IMO. 

Hutch is getting his minutes somewhat managed now. Not against splitting Hutch and Piette time but Kaye is just so good not to pair with Kaye.

Controlling the game and pressing the Americans will be key as we arent equip to defend constantly against them. Best to switch it around and pressure them instead.

10 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I would seriously consider starting Kamal Miller over Cornelius at CB. Herdman seems to like what Cornelius brings though so who knows. 

Dont know how he does in Vancouver but it's hard to argue that he's been good for the National team, better than Henry in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Miller------Cornelius------Vitoria-------Laryea

I think that formation is perfect for our best players to be on the field, while not jeopardizing our shape or players being played out of position.

The only change I would make is Miller in at LB. I've liked what I've seen of him vs Adekugbe - however it's all relative though especially if Davies is in front of them.

The argument can be made that Hutch should be in the XI, but it could also be said for Arfield and Kaye.Traditionalist will say we need Piette infront of the back four. 

I ultimately hope that our front four resembles the above - because we'll go to work on the USA no doubt. 

Edited by Shway

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I think that formation is perfect for our best players to be on the field, while not jeopardizing our shape or players being played out of position.

The only change I would make is Miller in at LB. I've liked what I've seen of him vs Adekugbe - however it's all relative though especially if Davies is in front of them.

The argument can be made that Hutch should be in the XI, but it could also be said for Arfield and Kaye.Traditionalist will say we need Piette infront of the back four. 

I ultimately hope that our front four resembles the above - because we'll go to work on the USA no doubt. 

I am not against seeing David in the midfield but I am against not having someone like Piette as a defensive midfielder to help shield our weak backline.  That doesn't make me a traditionalist (I see most sides playing with at least one defensive midfielder in modern football); it just makes me a realist

I rate Piette's all round game, he's not the best passer of the ball but I think he is better at that than some think, his defensive cover is something I would be very careful taking out of our game especially against stronger sides, it comes down to whether I trust Kaye and Arfield to do what's necessary in front of the back 4, I can't see Arfield not starting no matter which formation we play!

19 minutes ago, gator said:

I rate Piette's all round game, he's not the best passer of the ball but I think he is better at that than some think, his defensive cover is something I would be very careful taking out of our game especially against stronger sides, it comes down to whether I trust Kaye and Arfield to do what's necessary in front of the back 4, I can't see Arfield not starting no matter which formation we play!

Who  defensive game is better hutch or piette ? 

35 minutes ago, gator said:

I think Arfield can do anything defensively Piette does if he is asked too.  But he can jump up in the play and make a difference offensively and Piette hasnt shown that yet.  I would go with Arfield and Kaye in the middle of a 4-2-3-1.  We need goals, we need to win this one at home.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think Arfield can do anything defensively Piette does if he is asked too.  But he can jump up in the play and make a difference offensively and Piette hasnt shown that yet.  I would go with Arfield and Kaye in the middle of a 4-2-3-1.  We need goals, we need to win this one at home.  

It may be because I haven’t watch that much SPL, but I have never thought of Arfield as having the same defensive skills as Piette.  He is far better going forward, but in that defensive mid role I think Piette is second only to Hutch.  

On 9/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I have said it before and I will say if again - the multiverse theory is one huge mindfuck. The implications - all reasonable conclusions given what we know about physics - are absolutely crazy. 

We need some new Off Topic discussions, this could be a contender. Or I’ll start posting pics of my lunch again.

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

--------------------------Borjan8

I watched the Gent game yesterday and unfortunately I am no closer to listing David as an attacking midfielder for us. 

Let me rephrase: We could play with 2 forwards with David in the hole, but it would require our fullbacks to provide the width. This is how Gent play and certainly David is a player worth building around.

If we do this, the left back has to be Davies. On the right, probably Layera or Brault-Guillard, someone with athleticism. 

This also means that we play 2 central midfielders, not 3. So Osorio, Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Eustaquio, and probably Hutchinson (for now) vying for 2 positions.

^ Edit: forgot the DM, thanks @HochelagaFC

It also means Hoilett is playing in a 2 with Cavallini, which I am not sure he is suited for. Ironically, the player most suited to play in a 2 with him is David.

If Larin really gets going, him and Cav could make a very interesting duo up top, with David floating in behind and in between. But then Hoilett sits...

Millar could play there as well.

Thoughts?

If we line up like Gent, it would be more like:

------Cavallini----Hoilett----

-----------------David-----------------

----------Arfield---Kaye------------

-----------------Piette-----------------

Davies---------------------Layrea

--------Cornelius--Vitoria---------

----------------Borjan---------------

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I watched the Gent game yesterday and unfortunately I am no closer to listing David as an attacking midfielder for us. 

Let me rephrase: We could play with 2 forwards with David in the hole, but it would require our fullbacks to provide the width. This is how Gent play and certainly David is a player worth building around.

If we do this, the left back has to be Davies. On the right, probably Layera or Brault-Guillard, someone with athleticism. 

This also means that we play 2 central midfielders, not 3. So Osorio, Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Eustaquio, and probably Hutchinson (for now) vying for 2 positions.

It also means Hoilett is playing in a 2 with Cavallini, which I am not sure he is suited for. Ironically, the player most suited to play in a 2 with him is David.

If Larin really gets going, him and Cav could make a very interesting duo up top, with David floating in behind and in between. But then Hoilett sits...

Millar could play there as well.

Thoughts?

If we line up like Gent, it would be more like:

------Cavallini----Hoilett----

-----------------David-----------------

----------Arfield---Kaye------------

Davies---------------------Layrea

--------Cornelius--Vitoria---------

----------------Borjan---------------

You forgot the defensive midfielder, in this scenario probably Atiba, Piette or Eustaquio.