Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

With David relegated to the bench for another midfielder? Or something else

No, wide or up front.  He is our best finisher.  And he still scores most of his goals on the break or when his forwards have been subbed at Gent.  

I don't like the first option but maybe hard choices.  

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No, wide or up front.  He is our best finisher.  And he still scores most of his goals on the break or when his forwards have been subbed at Gent.  

I don’t mind the formation, but who sits? One of the main advantages of that other formation is that it gets our best players on the field. If we play a 4321 I think I’d have Phonzie move to LB and have him overlap David’s side, allowing David to drift inside. I know most people don’t want to see that

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I don’t mind the formation, but who sits? One of the main advantages of that other formation is that it gets our best players on the field. If we play a 4321 I think I’d have Phonzie move to LB and have him overlap David’s side, allowing David to drift inside. I know most people don’t want to see that

Which other formation?

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Put me in this camp as well. This is what I would prefer, though I do think playing a 4-4-1-1 with David behind Cavallini as the 1-1 would be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Which other formation?

I think he means the 4-4-1-1.

I guess if we consider our best players to be David, Cavallini, Davies, Arfield and Hoilett, it does solve the problem?

It’s a good way to sit someone like Piette on the bench, rather than Hoilett or Cavallini...

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Put me in this camp as well. This is what I would prefer, though I do think playing a 4-4-1-1 with David behind Cavallini as the 1-1 would be interesting. 

I’d worry a bit about our fullbacks not having enough support from the wingers, but I could be convinced

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I do think playing a 4-4-1-1 with David behind Cavallini as the 1-1 would be interesting. 

It is fun to watch.  But these days it scares me if you need a result against a better or equal team or even a lesser team that knows how to counter it.  

I enjoy watching Gent but their midfield is open to all and sundry. 

Edit: I know they don't play that but you end up with similar number of players there. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I honestly thought you said you weren't talking about a 4411 in a serious way and so my thoughts about it had moved beyond your discussion.

Man, Obinna asked a question about the balance of a 4231 formation, with David as an attacking mid/secondary striker. That’s what we were talking about

Edited by Aird25

Just now, Aird25 said:

Man, Obinna asked a question about the balance of a 4231 formation, with David as an attacking mid. That’s what we were talking about

I apologise.  That was not clear to me, which was why I asked which formation. 

That's what my team plays generally and it can work if your central midfielders stay at home.  But you can also lose 0-5 to Man City, which to be fair is not as bad as 8-0. 

My updated first choice 11:

Davies --- Cavallini --- David

Osorio --- Hutchinson --- Arfield

Miller - Cornelius - Vitoria - Laryea

------------------Borjan

(Larin, Hoilett, Akindele, Millar; Kaye, Piette, Tiebert; Adekugbe, Cordova, Straith; Crepeau, Leutwiler)

I think it's important that we leave some firepower on the bench.  Needing a goal in the last 20 minutes is extremely probable in a game like this.  Seeing Hoilett or Cavallini being subbed on will give the boys on the pitch a real psychological lift. 

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

My updated first choice 11:

Davies --- Cavallini --- David

Osorio --- Hutchinson --- Arfield

Miller - Cornelius - Vitoria - Laryea

------------------Borjan

(Larin, Hoilett, Akindele, Millar; Kaye, Piette, Tiebert; Adekugbe, Cordova, Straith; Crepeau, Leutwiler)

I think it's important that we leave some firepower on the bench.  Needing a goal in the last 20 minutes is extremely probable in a game like this.  Seeing Hoilett or Cavallini being subbed on will give the boys on the pitch a real psychological lift. 

That's a pretty solid bench. Most of those guys would start for any team in concacaf that was not Mexico and USA. 

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Can someone explain Toronto to me? I did the blue dot for thing I just can't understand the lack of demand for this game. Are people really thinking 20k? Do people expect a big walk up. It looks like right now the entire upper deck is not available. What's up?

Not sure. I think it is an interesting question, and one that needs to go beyond people in cities shitting on one another.   

I suspect whatever this is, it isn't simply a Toronto problem.