September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I agree Millar has not yet passed Hoilett, but I've seen what Hoilett has to offer with this group, and against a team like Cuba I'd love to let Hoilett come off bench and give Liam a good run of minutes to see how he plays off of the other young guns.  Then let Hoilett with his experience start against USA in October.

Fair and good point. I personally still start Hoilett without Cav being in the squad now, but prolly only have Hoilett go anywhere from ~50-70 mins.

I'm not 100% sure Hoilett would have started if Cav was in the squad, so you could very well be right. My original prediction for this match was a front 3 Davies, Cav, David in a 4-3-3 so I 100% see your point of Hoilett coming off the bench vs Cuba.

In the long term, I do think Hoilett almost takes the super sub role for the CMNT. Where he will come in around the ~70 min mark, similar to what he has done a handful of times so far this year with Cardiff (1G  & 1A in ~140min), where his goal was the game winner in the 88th minute, 10 days ago.

Edited by apbsmith

On 8/30/2019 at 11:42 AM, apbsmith said:

I think Cuba might leave some players at home for the Canada home match.

As stated in a previous thread, the Cayman Islands are very strict on immigration & refugee claims.  Not trying to make this thread political but this article below is from January 2019 where 8 Cuban asylum claims were rejected.  7 of the 8 claimants are being held in a detention centre, the 8th is on day release ( not sure on the current status).  

Sad to say this, but I do believe this is a reason why Cuba might have selected the Cayman Islands for their home match. 

https://www.caymancompass.com/2019/01/15/detained-cubans-announce-second-hunger-strike-in-year/

I'm curious if Cuba has released their roster yet for the matches? If so, I wonder if they do in fact decide not to bring any or some players to Canada? and only bring them to their home match in the Caymans.

Also, I much prefer Borjan start the away match if we are going to play 2 keepers across both games.

Cuba's roster and some interesting commentary in Spanish here: http://futboldecuba.blogspot.com/2019/08/cuba-da-sus-23-para-partidos-contra.html?m=1

I  hope Herdman doesn't do the same thing he did during the Nations league qualifiers where he would play wingers as defenders, play formations he doesn't plan on using etc. I know its Cuba, but he needs to play the formation, lineup, and tactics as if he was playing a better opponent. The team needs to build chemistry and figure out their identity. Doing what he did previously doesn't help us build anything.

My personal line up would be

Borjan

Laryea - Henry - Vitoria - Adekugbe

Piette

Kaye - Osorio

Hoilett - David - Davies

The CB position still has a lot of questions. I know Vitoria is starting in Portugal, but he still shows signs of his old self at times from what I saw. I would like to see Miller tested as a CB aswell, I'm just concerned that he maybe a better LB than he is at CB.

Laryea gets the start for me. Been in very good form. I'm personally not really hyped on Cordova having watched him play. I hope the games I saw were just bad examples....

10 hours ago, Colliedor said:

I  hope Herdman doesn't do the same thing he did during the Nations league qualifiers where he would play wingers as defenders, play formations he doesn't plan on using etc. I know its Cuba, but he needs to play the formation, lineup, and tactics as if he was playing a better opponent. The team needs to build chemistry and figure out their identity. Doing what he did previously doesn't help us build anything.

My personal line up would be

Borjan

Piette

Kaye - Osorio

Hoilett - David - Davies

The CB position still has a lot of questions. I know Vitoria is starting in Portugal, but he still shows signs of his old self at times from what I saw. I would like to see Miller tested as a CB aswell, I'm just concerned that he maybe a better LB than he is at CB.

Laryea gets the start for me. Been in very good form. I'm personally not really hyped on Cordova having watched him play. I hope the games I saw were just bad examples....

I like this.  Agree with playing defenders to defend even vs the offensively challenged.  Especially with the lack of friendlies, we don't have the luxury of taking our time to learn to play with each other. 

Also agree with Henry/Vitoria; Unfortunately having Henry and Cornelius play together week and and week out at the train wreck that is Vancouver at the moment won't do wonders for their confidence.  Its hard to pick yourself up from suffering that many goals and losses week in and out.  I really hopes it works out in the long run and that Vancouver finds a way to be competitive with them both as starters.

I still hope Cordova is a step up from what we've seen from Adekugbe.

Pretty sure Millar can steal this spot from Hoilett in the next 6-12 months, if not already.

Boy you guys are moving away from Hoilett in a hurry.  No disrepsect to millar, but Hoilett was a recent EPL player, still playing well in the championship with tons of experience and works damn hard back tracking.  Millar might be the future but lets see him tear up the SPL, and force a move back to a EPL team before we replace Hoilett eh??  Being a back up, late sub, maybe not invited to every camp is about where I see him with the national team for now.  Lets see him grow and evolve like Davies or David before we pencil him in ahead of our other wingers.  By spring he may have forced Herdman to put him in the 11, but not yet.

No one was saying to replace him just yet just thinking about the future.. Hoilett is a great player and a serious talent with years of pedigree. Liam can only hope to have as good a career as Junior(with any luck maybe even better. ...but we have to admit he is aging and perhaps the best of his years are behind him. That’s not to say that he can’t and won’t be a force in the national team for years to come.... just being hopeful. Liam has a long way to come but as I said on another thread he’s on a great path...securing a starting position at 19 in the SPFL is no small feat. 

big future for Canada with all these options coming through...excited!!!

36 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Boy you guys are moving away from Hoilett in a hurry.  No disrepsect to millar, but Hoilett was a recent EPL player, still playing well in the championship with tons of experience and works damn hard back tracking.  Millar might be the future but lets see him tear up the SPL, and force a move back to a EPL team before we replace Hoilett eh??  Being a back up, late sub, maybe not invited to every camp is about where I see him with the national team for now.  Lets see him grow and evolve like Davies or David before we pencil him in ahead of our other wingers.  By spring he may have forced Herdman to put him in the 11, but not yet.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.  Seems to be a lot of people passing on Junior and I don't quite understand it.

The man has played for 3 separate premier league teams Blackburn (3 seasons), QPR (2 seasons) & most recently Cardiff City.  6 premier League seasons sandwiched by 5 Championship Seasons and 2 loans to Bundesliga 2 teams. 

I would think everyone on this board would be salivating at a resume like that for our National team.

I think there are a few of us on here who are basically cheering for the Canada we may have in 3-4 years time.  There has been enough ongoing disappointment that the possibility of a brighter future - especially now that we have some exciting young players - is pretty attractive.  This the endangered to give the exciting prospect the benefit of the doubt rather than the veteran who has been part of the underperforming squad the last few years. 

I guess the concern with Hoilett is that he has only played 90' once this season, in a cup game.  45 minutes once and then pulled.  And less than 33 minutes as a sub in each of his other 4 appearances.  

This is after dropping down a level.  Warnock used to be very high on him but despite not bad or decent performances, other guys are getting minutes, include a new one they brought in. 

He had some stellar moments last year, won one game for them this year, and he is still a very good crosser of the ball but there has also been a lot minutes of not really having an impact. 

Not a great start for his team as well.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 hours ago, Shway said:

@costargMillar stealing a spot from Hoilett.... Lol. 

I guess you mean the super sub spot. Because for me it's Davies spot for now and the future. 

@ShwayDon't be a troll, If you're gonna quote, at least quote properly. 

"Pretty sure Millar can steal this spot from Hoilett in the next 6-12 months, if not already." 

If you've watched them both play the past 6 months, its not a long shot.  At least do some research before commenting. There's been an evident decline in Hoilett's game.  Unless Cardiff is hiding an injury.  He's not starting in the Championship, he wasn't on fire during the Gold Cup either.

Edited by costarg

Millar is going to be pushing Hoilett for minutes and that is a good thing for both players. Competition is good.

Also, I echo those who want to see Larin start.

If he could have a huge 2 games for Canada and get his groove back at club level - boy we are looking good at CF, aren't we?

I want to see Larin really push Cavallini and give Herdman an easy choice for the USA games. Right now Lucas is easily first choice.

Edited by Obinna

I think we should try David in midfield as a sort of 10 likely he is playing for his club side (albeit in a different formation) especially as Arfield is not here and then put Larin upfront with Akindele coming on for the last 20 minutes (and then decided based on those performances who to start in Caymans).  That gets most of our best players on the field.  Millar can come on as well late.

You have a classic holding midfielder in Piette and a box to box player in Kaye behind David (the latter two both can cover a lot of ground)

I would go with Laryea and Adekugbe unless others show better in training.

Borjan

Piette - Kaye

David

Hoilett - Larin - Davies

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My only change - and this is purely based on my own grass-is-greener-over-there outlook - is that I would probably have Cordova on the field ahead of Laryea.  I really want to see what he can do.

I just think Laryea is slated to start at BMO.  If Cordova starts I feel it will be at LB.