September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

According to the CP article, Arfield was left off due to squad rotation.

I think Herdman wants to try Osorio and Kaye together in the midfield. I expect something like

-------------------------Borjan

-----------------Henry-------Vitoria

Cordova---------------------------------Adekugbe

--------------------------Piette

-----------------Kaye----------Osorio

David--------------Cavallini---------Davies

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Good to know both of these guys are at least on the bubble. CPL serving it's purpose thus far. 

If I were Telfer I would stick around and wait just a bit longer before jumping ship.

Had he not been considered at all, I would have bounced if I were him, but clearly he is not too far away. He's in the mix.

As for Borges, at his age it's only a matter of time if he keeps playing well. Should definitely feature for Olympic qualifying.

7 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Given how weak our CB depth is, I think a case could be made for Dominic Zator to get the call. He's been one of if not the best CB in CPL and unlike journeymen Straith and Vittoria has the bulk of his career ahead of him not behind.

I don't think his play has gone unnoticed. Hopefully he gets his chance at some point. I would call him before Gasparotto or Didic, who are roughly the same age.

Thing is about Vitoria is that he's clearly doing well to have retained his spot with a Liga Nos side week in and week out. Season is young, but at this point I think bringing him in is the right call. Just to see where he is at.

Like Gasparotto and Didic, Zator has the bulk of his career ahead of him, like you said, but that may be more reason to not rush and bring him in over someone like Vitoria who is doing well right now at a better level.

Perhaps it's a case of call the best today at the expense of calling in players of the future.

Now Straith on the other hand, that is harder to justify. I keep going back to his prior national team experience, because that is the one thing that separates him from the others.

15 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Given how weak our CB depth is, I think a case could be made for Dominic Zator to get the call. He's been one of if not the best CB in CPL and unlike journeymen Straith and Vittoria has the bulk of his career ahead of him not behind.

Vittoria is playing quality minutes in a good league. He can still help us during nations league and wcq. Straith is at a lower level and not getting as many minutes lately so i agree with you on that one. 

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Vittoria is playing quality minutes in a good league. He can still help us during nations league and wcq. Straith is at a lower level and not getting as many minutes lately so i agree with you on that one. 

It seems strange to us that Straith was called, but Herdman must have his reasons. I would be very interested to hear the rationale behind that call. 

Almost all of his other calls make sense, so probably there is a good reason to call him. It could simply be a matter of Herdman watching the minutes Straith has played and liking something particular in his game.

33 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I'm hoping Robert Boskovic continues his good form to be in talks as well. He has been playing very well since getting his starts with Ottawa lately.

2 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

how long until Stephan Eustaqio is back in the fold I haven’t heard much about how he is progressing with his injury? Will we possibly see him against the US?

Not in the match squad today, still re habing

3 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Yes but do we know how long he will still be out for? More so looking for a time line as to when he could dawn a Canadian Jersey!

He will probably be back to playing with his club by November, but extra games with Canada will not be good for him so early on in his comeback. I wouldn't call him until next year.

9 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I'm a fan of Straith. In the last WCQ cycle he provided dependable, patient and mature defending. His experience will be an asset in the squad. When everything is on the line, I'd trust a guy like Straith more than Miller or Cornelius. 

Vitoria needs to take this chance and show that he can be a leader back there.  

Regarding James, sometimes players ask to stay with their clubs one time too many, and the coach starts questioning their commitment and stops calling them. Declining a call to the Gold Cup would certainly piss me off as a manager. Hope something can be done because he is both talented and experienced.

Do we know he declined a GC call-up?

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't really see the point in Wotherspoon. I would have rather seen Borges or Pasquotti. Very happy to see Cordova back in. 

Not of fan. It really does feel like he's taking a spot away from a younger player. Don't think he has a place in this team, especially in the future, so this call up feels completely wasted.

Really wanted to see Borges. Heck, Bustos form as really gone up lately as well imo.

Edited by Colliedor

Overall I'm content with the roster.

On a side note, I caught the first half of the Caps vs Impact game tonight. 6 Canadians featured: Crepeau,Henry,Cornelius,Tiebert, Ricketts & Piette , oddly enough, IMO Ricketts was the best of the bunch (1st half).

Glad Herdman called in so many defenders for a look. 

Edited by apbsmith

Happy with Laryea and Carducci getting the call. Both earned it.

James being snubbed really raises questions.

Never watched Cordova, but I'm hoping for the best.

Larin really didn't earn this call. Wotherspoon is a wasted pick as well.

With the amount of wingers we have, I would've liked to see us at least test out a 4-2-3-1 formation. Let David play behind the striker like in Belgium and allow us to play the young wingers. David tracks back well with Gent so I don't think defensively it's going to be an issue.

Really pleased with this squad as a whole, just looking at the Haiti QF Match, the 3 goals were: a huge blunder (short pass-back to the keeper), A foul in the area which was called a penalty (both by Godihno) and the winner had Davies not marking his player. 

Im so happy that Davies, MAK and even Hutchinson can go back to playing in the centre midfield and on the wing. 

Our forward group is top 3 in CONCACAF, and our midfield solid and strong as well! With our Goalkeepers very confident in Borjan and Crepeau 

Our insecurities always lied with our defence and Herdman thought long and hard about this and decided to do something about this. 

Replacing Adekugbe with Morgan, Sliding Miller to back up LB as he’s been having a good first season with OSC, keeping Cornelius-Henry pair and ZBG/Godihno  for Cordova, Laryea at RB. Also Straith and Vitoria is a good assurance 

A proper back 4 and if we can be clean and organized then we will be winning a lot more matches. It still needs some gelling, re-incorporing (5/8 is new), but certainly a huge improvement. Now if only James could return and we could get Gutierrez and Tomori to commit we’re great all around 

We out scored 14-6 and it was big mistakes vs Haiti and the Mexico Match has us face the best team in our region and top 20 in the world. Which at times we look on par but the experience was positive despite the loss

With Eustaquio coming into the fold next month and our captain Arfield returning too the future looks good. Want to see MAK become more of a protagonist from now on, also want Tesho more involved too. Larin is the 4th best FW and last player of the group, based on current form. If Millar or anyone else start ripping it up in a respectable league cyle’s spot is jeopardized 

Will Johnson and David Wotherspoon are utility, camp players. But good to have them and fill the absences for now 

Excited for the Carducci call up, gives the CPL a good look and he’s our 3rd best keeper right now as Leutwiler and Thomas aren’t playing in their clubs. James could have took that spot too. 31, 25 and 22 agewise looks like a good mix. St. Clair and Pantemis also exciting prospects

My guess is first leg at home is 5-0 and the second 3-0, we have a solid core of 20 footballers that can help us achieve something at the end of the day - we need results but from top to bottom I’d say we’re on par with Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama in terms of quality 

I do see it being difficult but not impossible for qualifying for the hex considering that we’re 8th and we need to be top 6 in the rankings. Cuba is lower and USA is a lot higher, also CSA doesn’t like friendlies so there’s that. We might have to do the hunger Games tournament, winner takes 0.25 of a WC spot