September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

Our first two inaugural games of the Concacaf Nations League A against Cuba. 

Squad list:

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Marco Carducci | CAN / Cavalry FC (Calgary)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Adam Straith | GER / VfL Sportfreunde Lotte
CB- Steven Vitória | POR / Moreirense FC
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
FB- Juan Córdova | CHI / CD Huachipato
FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- David Wotherspoon | SCO / St. Johnstone FC
F- Tesho Akindele | USA / Orlando City SC
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
F- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
F- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
F- Cyle Larin | BEL / SV Zulte Waregem 

Edited by Shway

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

we already have a thread on this? "possible roster for Cuba"

Lol title alone states it's not the same thread. It's filled with everyone's possible 23. 

This is intended to be the official JH call-up thread. IMO it helps in the future when you want to search previous camps/calls up's it's easier to find. 

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lol title alone states it's not the same thread. It's filled with everyone's possible 23. 

This is intended to be the official JH call-up thread. IMO it helps in the future when you want to search previous camps/calls up's it's easier to find. 

I'm totally cool with you making this official thread. The other thread I made was more so speculation about who would get called. If it ended up getting used after the call ups, all good, but no problem with this. 

4 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Why call up a guy like Wotherspoon over Borges or Camargo...

Other than that, I like seeing Laryea, Cordova, Adekugbe and Tesho called in

My assumption is Cavalry didn’t want to lose too many guys and Forge is going through a tough stretch of their own.

I’m all for saying fck you to the clubs, especially the ones that don’t play during the international break, but I’d much rather see the CPL teams have their full teams during their first season

Really happy with the squad overall. Perhaps Herdman was lurking about and took our advice (jk). A lot of us called for Vitoria, Layera, Cordova, Akindele and even Carducci. All are there, which is great!

Spoony is the obvious surprise, but good for him. With Arfield and Hutchinson out, I think he's being brought in for his experience.

Speaking of Arfield, I wonder why he was omitted, as he is healthy and in form. Perhaps this is a matter of giving him a break? He's not a spring chicken anymore...

Also, I bet Shome narrowly missed out...

Edited by Obinna

My takes:

- Piette questionable is he even fit? but I guess he's a vet?

- 5CBs questionable highly questionable, unless we're playing 3 in the back.

- Liam Fraser highly questionable since he hasn't played first team MLS ball since July. Would've prefer a CPL informer like Elijah. 

- Will Johnson highly questionable, guess he's a camp player 

- great to see Adekugbe, Tesho, and Cordova 

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

My takes:

Piette questionable, but I guess he's a vet?

- 5CBs questionable highly questionable, unless we're playing 3 in the back.

- Liam Fraser highly questionable since he hasn't played first team MLS ball since July. Would've prefer a CPL informer like Elijah. 

- Will Johnson highly questionable, guess he's a camp player 

- great to see Adekugbe, Tesho, and Cordova 

Miller listed as a FB and has played there recently in MLS. He'll probably play at LB for us and serve as cover for Cornelius. That's my guess.

Just now, Obinna said:

Miller listed as a FB and has played there recently in MLS. He'll probably play at LB for us and serve as cover for Cornelius. That's my guess.

Great guess, what I would assume as well. But wtf is Manjrekar James... I like Vitoria but why Straith. 

Love the roster, only criticism really is Adam Straith. I don’t figure that straith is going to be anything other than a depth guy for camp. Would much rather a Dominic Zator or Luca Gasparotto get that chance.

I figure the only reason that Wotherspoon gets called over Tristan Borges is because of Forge’s busy schedule. (Same can probably be said about David Edgar not being considered).

also, how are we back to scape goating Piette? I’m seeing people questioning his inclusion, which confuses me unless it’s because of his recent injuries. He’s a bulldog in the middle for Montreal and is still our next best choice DM behind Atiba.

Obviously we haven’t called our best team but it’s not really horrible because it’ll give some of our Depth players to get a run around against a easier opponent. Happy Cordova got the call but a bit disappointed Millar hasn’t got the call. That might be for the best however so he can further establish himself at kilmarnock. Hope to see him, Arfield, eustaqio, and James Vs the USA.