Shway

September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Borjan

Laryea - Henry - Vitoria - Adekugbe

Piette - Kaye

David

Hoilett - Larin - Davies

Pretty much my other preferred line up. It's hard to decide which formation Canada should use in the future. This line up allows more of our attacking power to start, but it may leave our already weak backline less protection.

It's hard to judge though. David does come back well for Gent, but I think the mid will still have to be balanced with good defensive players to make up for it.

I like the 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1 as it helps support our back line quite a bit more. 

Part of me thinks we start with the 4-3-3 and go from there. Our formation has changed or rotated throughout matches under Herdman anyways. Just plz no catastrophic 4-1-4-1 switch like against Haiti, honestly never again please.

Also if it is the 4-3-3 , I roll MAK out as the RM, he has been playing RM in LAFC almost all year like a boss. David as the CM, at the top of a mid triangle looks incredible. Here is hoping the boss gets it right! 

Edited by apbsmith

Excellent article about Borjan and about his love for Canada. 

Thanks to @Kadenge who mentioned the paid Globe and Mail version in the Borjan thread. I was able to find the free CBC version below. It's well worth the read. 

For me, he wears the armband on Saturday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5269173

Edited by apbsmith

7 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Excellent article about Borjan and about his love for Canada. 

Thanks to @Kadenge who mentioned the paid Globe and Mail version in the Borjan thread. I was able to find the free CBC version below. It's well worth the read. 

For me, he wears the armband on Saturday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5269173

Borjan is a national treasure in two countries.

32 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I’m in Bulgaria filming a Netflix tv show I’m 7 hrs ahead... 2am kick off for me!!?!? 

For you it will be a 3am kick off ;) I will not be getting up/staying up for this one (2am kick off)

Edited by Sigma78

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

PEI may be getting hit by a hurricane Saturday evening. 

Not that it is the biggest concern, but if my power goes out and I lose wifi I will be severely pissed. 

The perks of Atlantic Canada living :)

10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Just saw that Steven Caldwell is one of the 3  assistant coaches alongside Biello and De Vos. 

Steven Caldwell the former TFC player? How did that happen. 

I like Caldwell a lot. I don't mind him using us if he wants to dip his toe in the coaching pool. Former players with a lot of experience are always welcome around the team.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I like Caldwell a lot. I don't mind him using us if he wants to dip his toe in the coaching pool. Former players with a lot of experience are always welcome around the team.

Only if he quits his day job at TSN.  And if they were looking for defenders...what Stalteri doing?? Or Mckenna??  Damned UK guys taking all the soccer jobs over here.  

Caldwell is a proponent of Davies at left back.

I'm still not sure what I think of his analysis in general. He seems like he tries hard not to be a homer regarding refereeing decisions, but his tactical analyses come across as basic. Admittedly, most commentators don't get too technical on television and I don't listen to his podcast where I'm sure he gets more in depth.

I dont doubt Caldwell's knowledge or even some potential coaching ability.  I do strongly dislike his monotone, dull droning speech patterns.  I'll turn the sound down just to avoid listening to him.  And I still find him hard to understand, and my brother in law is Scottish, so I have plenty of practice.  Someone like DeVos, or Dunfield or maybe even Forrest now that Sportsnet has been decimated could easily replace him at TSN.  KJ always seems very sharp, why couldnt he take over for Caldwell if he wants to coach??

23 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Just saw that Steven Caldwell is one of the 3  assistant coaches alongside Biello and De Vos. 

What?     C'mon, really?   Why?   I feel like we could find someone better and/or more Canadian.

22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Only if he quits his day job at TSN.  And if they were looking for defenders...what Stalteri doing?? Or Mckenna??  Damned UK guys taking all the soccer jobs over here.  

Caldwell is basically Canadian now. On his podcast, after the Raptors won, he was saying that he thinks his son is going to want to represent Canada.

40 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

What?     C'mon, really?   Why?   I feel like we could find someone better and/or more Canadian.

To be fair, Caldwell (and Kristen Jack for that matter) are heavily invested in Canadian soccer. The want us to be successful. That may not come across during the TSN broadcasts, but if you listened to their podcast, you can tell he really cares about the game in this country.

This is his home now. If he's willing to lend a hand, along with De Vos, Staltieri, etc., I welcome him with open arms.

Edited by Obinna

I have a lot of time for KJ, and I honestly think Caldwell parrots him at times regarding tactical analysis, but KJ would not make a good manager or assistant manager. He'd be a good consultant, perhaps.

It's a bit odd though, has he any kind of coaching license?

Maybe this explains why that podcast they were doing weekly suddenly just stopped after they interviewed Herdman post Gold Cup.