Jump to content
Shway

September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Shway said:

I see a lot of people suggesting Akindele is the straight swap for Millar or that he can play out wide. I hate this idea of just because he can play there doesn't mean it's best for him. 

He's been performing from being a straight up striker. He's had mixed performances from playing as a wide man. Since hes came to Orlando he hasn't been put in that position. 

We have three straight up strikers in Lucas, Cyle and Tesho. Not bad if we play a 442, but then that means somebody in midfield will be left out. 

Akindele has played many games as a wide forward for Orlando this year. Most recently, he has been at CF for Orlando. I don't know which position is best for him, but the fact that we called Cavallini and Larin suggests that Tesho will play out wide, if he sees the field at all (which I am sure he will).

Let's not forget that David has also played CF under Herdman.

I think we may see something like this:

Davies--Cavallini---David

Osorio---Piette---Kaye

Miller--Henry--Cornelius--Cordova

or possibly this:

David---Cavallini--Hoilett

Osorio--Piette--Kaye

Davies--Henry--Cornelius--Cordova

with:

Akindele for David or Hoillet

Layrea for Cordova

Adekugbe for Miller

Miller for Cornelius

Vitoria for Cornelius

Straith for Henry

Larin for Cavallini

Johnson for Osorio

Teibert for Kaye

Fraser for Piette

Have I forgotten anyone (keepers aside)?

Edit: Spoony for Osorio or Kaye

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to add, I would understand veteran calls up's if we were playing the US... We pumped them 7-0 earlier this year with Derek and Doneil at CB. Even if we had to rotate the squad I would be comfortable with Doneil and Kamal. 

At some point we gotta use these spots for younger uncapped players to get into and experience a camp ala Okello - but it also has to be earned. 

I hope Straith, Johnson play (I really don't), cause it doesn't make sense for them to be in camp. Herdman has enough gab to not need older unaccomplished veterans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for James,  an equally reasonable interpretation would be Herdman doesnt think he is playing enough or doesnt rate him as highly as others.  It is a little fishy with so many DM capable players we called Fraser and not another mid (Shome?).  I guess the chances of either getting on the field is slim, so maybe its just to get them into camp. I hope Miller.Adegube Cordova Lareya all get game time....NO DAVIES AT LB PLEASE.  Lets see what our FB situation is like.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Akindele has played many games as a wide forward for Orlando this year. Most recently, he has been at CF for Orlando. I don't know which position is best for him, 

I stand corrected he's played 4 games out of 23, scoring 2 goals in the LW position. 

I still think he's better suited up top, as I don't think he's has the skill outwide like the players who would play there. Tabla, Millar, Hoilett, Davies, David. And by skill I mean pace, 1v1 ability, and crossing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Also to add, I would understand veteran calls up's if we were playing the US... We pumped them 7-0 earlier this year with Derek and Doneil at CB. Even if we had to rotate the squad I would be comfortable with Doneil and Kamal. 

At some point we gotta use these spots for younger uncapped players to get into and experience a camp ala Okello - but it also has to be earned. 

I hope Straith, Johnson play (I really don't), cause it doesn't make sense for them to be in camp. Herdman has enough gab to not need older unaccomplished veterans. 

They did call in young guns like Fraser and Carducci when they could have called an older keeper or an outfield player like Ricketts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

James is not a world beater either. Let's remember that.

I rate him above Straith, but I don't think he's so much better that it's an injustice to include Adam ahead of him. Straith is only 3 years older than James by the way, but he has so much experience that I think we automatically put him in the Hainault/Jakovic category.

He is actually closer in age to James/Henry then Hainault/Jakovic.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shway said:

I stand corrected he's played 4 games out of 23, scoring 2 goals in the LW position. 

I still think he's better suited up top, as I don't think he's has the skill outwide like the players who would play there. Tabla, Millar, Hoilett, Davies, David. And by skill I mean pace, 1v1 ability, and crossing. 

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I do think his skill out wide is somewhat underrated, but all those other players you list I would place above him out wide, typically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, canta15 said:

They did call in young guns like Fraser and Carducci when they could have called an older keeper or an outfield player like Ricketts

Fraser hasn't played MLS ball since a July 21st loss against Houston. He's getting the Okello type GC call up - which I disagree with. 

Carducci is deserving and easy to give a call up as a 3rd striker. 

Overall the squad got a little younger. 

Edited by Shway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I do think his skill out wide is somewhat underrated, but all those other players you list I would place above him out wide, typically.

I will even be bold enough to say Telfer is better in the LW position than Tesho. 

@Obinna you're laughing but check how many assists Tesho has vs Telfer lol.... Service from outwide is key

Edited by Shway
For Obi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly at a point you need to see other guys and that’s what Herdman is doing so I’m fine with it.

 

sucks for Millar but let him establish himself, he will be back. Also I feel like for ZBG this might be the time to stay with MTL and steal the RB spot from Sagna..

Fraser needs some minutes this is good for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

James is not a world beater either. Let's remember that.

I rate him above Straith, but I don't think he's so much better that it's an injustice to include Adam ahead of him. Straith is only 3 years older than James by the way, but he has so much experience that I think we automatically put him in the Hainault/Jakovic category.

He is actually closer in age to James/Henry than Hainault/Jakovic.

What do we/you classify as experience? 

I think there needs to be a general understanding of experience lol. 

He's been playing division 2 and 3 soccer for awhile. Has gotten relegated recently. And has bad memories in Latin America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dominic94 said:

Honestly at a point you need to see other guys and that’s what Herdman is doing so I’m fine with it.

 

sucks for Millar but let him establish himself, he will be back. Also I feel like for ZBG this might be the time to stay with MTL and steal the RB spot from Sagna..

Fraser needs some minutes this is good for him.

They been running Sagna at CB with ZBG beside him.... Seems like his to take. 

Fraser needs some minutes, but the national team isn't the place to be giving handouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a good mix considering its just cuba. The real roster will come out in oct vs usa. Im hoping Cordova makes a good impression. 

Borjan

Cordova-henry-cornelius-davies 

Osorio-piette-kaye

David-cav-hoilet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

As for James,  an equally reasonable interpretation would be Herdman doesnt think he is playing enough or doesnt rate him as highly as others.  It is a little fishy with so many DM capable players we called Fraser and not another mid (Shome?).  I guess the chances of either getting on the field is slim, so maybe its just to get them into camp. I hope Miller.Adegube Cordova Lareya all get game time....NO DAVIES AT LB PLEASE.  Lets see what our FB situation is like.  

 

 

CSA have included Davies as a Forward in all social media reveals of the roster. Not like thats a guarantee or anything but may be a hint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Its a good mix considering its just cuba. The real roster will come out in oct vs usa. Im hoping Cordova makes a good impression. 

Borjan

Cordova-henry-cornelius-davies 

Osorio-piette-kaye

David-cav-hoilet

No davies at fullback IMO, not with 4 actual fullbacks listed on our roster. Now is the time to see if those 4 can cut it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Its a good mix considering its just cuba. The real roster will come out in oct vs usa. Im hoping Cordova makes a good impression. 

Borjan

Cordova-henry-cornelius-davies 

Osorio-piette-kaye

David-cav-hoilet

Almost liked it, until I saw Davies at LB lol... But you may be right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Shway said:

They been running Sagna at CB with ZBG beside him.... Seems like his to take. 

Fraser needs some minutes, but the national team isn't the place to be giving handouts. 

Sagna at CB was because there was no other CBs with Diallo gone and Camacho injured. Now they’ll have Fanni in CB Sagna should move back to his spot on the right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shway said:

What do we/you classify as experience? 

I think there needs to be a general understanding of experience lol. 

He's been playing division 2 and 3 soccer for awhile. Has gotten relegated recently. And has bad memories in Latin America. 

I meant National team experience, but he also has more experience than James overall. 

Yes he has played very few games in a first division, and has been on the end of some bad moments, but it's experience nonetheless. There is some value to be drawn from those bad situations down in Latin America, I am sure. Just being familiar with the whole experience of going down to Latin America is somewhat of an asset. Not saying these are reasons to call him over James or anything, but I don't mind the call. Let's see where he is at and what he can do for us. Unlike Jakovic or Hainault, he is still at an age where he can be used for the totality of this cycle, if we want to use him.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shway said:

I will even be bold enough to say Telfer is better in the LW position than Tesho. 

@Obinna you're laughing but check how many assists Tesho has vs Telfer lol.... Service from outwide is key

I was bigging up Telfer in another thread, which I got pushback on, so I find it funny that Telfer's name was brought up (not by me) the offical roster thread - despite those who insist he should be nowhere near the national team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was bigging up Telfer in another thread, which I got pushback on, so I find it funny that Telfer's name was brought up (not by me) the offical roster thread - despite those who insist he should be nowhere near the national team.

It was the both of us. That's why I was wondering why you reacted 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reasonably happy with the squad, a few eyebrow raisers as mentioned already but Laryea, Cordova and Carducci are deserved call ups. 

Surprised we only have two natural wide players. The shoehorning will continue obviously.  Wotherspoon has played a lot outwide, Osorio could, Tesho could but as mentioned is NOT a winger or wide forward. Maybe we play Cordova left wing and Davies Leftback. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...