September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I like all the call ups, especially Lareya an Fraser.  Too much needless handwringing about Straith:  too easy a a whipping boy candidate but clearly provides some maturity and leadership.  The  guy's worked his ass off to forge a pro career in a competitve environment and knows what it takes to be a pro.

Straith is hardly playing at a lower level than Henry and Cornelius IMO. He's stil able to get clubs to pay him 150-200K a year to play for them.

6 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Larin really didn't earn this call. Wotherspoon is a wasted pick as well.

Larin, although not scoring, is finally playing again so it makes sense in that regard. He'll start scoring soon enough. 

Wotherspoon I kinda agree with, especially is he doesn't play again. If he gets minutes, it had purpose. Otherwise I'd rather seen some young gun from CPL for instance (or better yet: Shome). 

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

We out scored 14-6 and it was big mistakes vs Haiti and the Mexico Match has us face the best team in our region and top 20 in the world. Which at times we look on par but the experience was positive despite the loss

...we need results but from top to bottom I’d say we’re on par with Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama in terms of quality 

I do see it being difficult but not impossible for qualifying for the hex considering that we’re 8th and we need to be top 6 in the rankings.

Nice post! I shortened and highlighted the parts I wanted to comment on.

1) Vs Mexico sometimes we over look it was 0-0 the first 40 mins. Mexico scored when we were down to 10 men with Cornelius treating a bloody nose on the sidelines. Hutch covered the CB spot at the time, he miss hit a header clearance which then bounced of ZBG quad, then the Mexican pounced on it to score. No disrespect at all to Hutch, but with 11 men on the field and Cornelius in the regular CB spot, maybe Cornelius makes that header clearance and it's 0-0 going into half. 2nd half, perhaps Mexico led off a bit but we definitely showed positive signs and the ability to ball with them.

2) Perhaps we are overly optimistic but I agree, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama on par, Jamaica also.  I honestly don't think USA is that far ahead of us either, but will get a better assessment of that in October/November.

3) In my humble opinion, I think this cycle might be the most "wide open" between spots #2-#8 ever in our region. I don't put USA as #2, just look at last cycle, they ended up 5th in the hex. Have USA really gotten that much better to be light years ahead of everyone at #2? 

It's for that reason, I really want us to crush these CNL matches and make the hex.

Also great to see the players back and committed to bringing success to the program after the Haiti letdown. Can't wait for these matches!

Edited by apbsmith

Can Wotherspoon play CM?  If not, I find it hard to believe he’s in our best 23 for this camp.  

I would have hoped for a Haworth call but understand it’s tight.

This camp will give us less prep than hoped for with the away match in Cayman Islands.. but that just means we should expect better than “just a result”.

I still would like Borjan to start both matches but that's just me.

If we are going to play 2 keepers, with games 3 days apart, I understand. 

I'd much prefer if Crepeau got the Home match though and Borjan the away match. Lots of direct flights from Cayman to Europe so hopefully not a travel issue for Borjan for the away match.

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Can Wotherspoon play CM?  If not, I find it hard to believe he’s in our best 23 for this camp.  

I would have hoped for a Haworth call but understand it’s tight.

Yep, wing and central mid.

I've always been a big fan of Haworth, but with the amount of great young talent we have at RB and on the wing there's no chance we're calling up a 30 year-old USL player for those positions.

9 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Happy with Laryea and Carducci getting the call. Both earned it.

James being snubbed really raises questions.

Never watched Cordova, but I'm hoping for the best.

Larin really didn't earn this call. Wotherspoon is a wasted pick as well.

With the amount of wingers we have, I would've liked to see us at least test out a 4-2-3-1 formation. Let David play behind the striker like in Belgium and allow us to play the young wingers. David tracks back well with Gent so I don't think defensively it's going to be an issue.

If anything I believe this is the first call in 2 years Larin has earned. 

He was getting called riding the pine at Beisktas for 2 years, now he's actually consistently starting at a good club level. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

No Noble Okello?  I worry he will go down to be John Herdman's Jamie Peters... still don't know why the young man was chosen for the Gold Cup squad. 

Too early to worry about that imo.

Peters went on to play nearly 100 games with Ipswich while they were in the Championship. He fell off the map towards the age of 25. Okello has barely begun his professional journey.

Also, I think Peters won his first cap at 17. Okello is 19 and hasn't earned a cap yet, so is there really much of a comparison to be made?

Okello was called for the Gold Cup in part because TFC wanted to keep Fraser and Chapman since they would be losing a bunch of their midfielders, especially Bradley.

Bradley wasn't called by the US for their friendlies during the same window (nor Altidore or Gonzalez for that matter) as TFC have two matches during the upcoming window. So since Bradley will be there, there is no "we need Fraser to stay to replace Bradley" excuse so he is called to Canada instead and Okello is not. I don't think this has anything to do with Jamie Peters.

I hope Fraser gets a chance to play for Canada, particularly at home against Cuba. With no Atiba or Arfield it becomes more of a possibility.

I feel a little reticent to comment since I don't get to see the bulk of the squad very regularly but what are people seeing as a formation?

A lot of the regular modern ones leave out some of our in-form players or play them out of position (the ones I get to see, at least).  You could go old school 442, with or without a diamond, against a team you think won't overrun you through the centre.  But is Davies wasted as midfielder rather than a winger, for instance?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I feel a little reticent to comment since I don't get to see the bulk of the squad very regularly but what are people seeing as a formation.

A lot of the regular modern ones leave out some of our in-form players or play them out of position (the ones I get to see, at least).  You could go old school 442, with or without a diamond, against a team you think won't overrun you through the centre.  But is Davies wasted as midfielder rather than winger, for instance?

Not sure Herdman changes anything tactically. He could surprise us though, I guess.

I am assuming it will be the same 4-3-3 with our new full backs getting a chance to impress.

The only thing in the back of my mind that makes me think he may switch it up is Davies being listed at forward. That could mean nothing though, but is he really going to start 1 of Cav, Hoilett, David or Davies from the bench?

They are all listed at forward and maybe, just maybe, we will see him try a 4-2-2 with Cav and David up top and Hoilett and Davies on the wings.

Herdman said fullback was a problem and he has brought in new players, but maybe the problem is how they played, being tasked with attacking high up the field. 

Maybe at some point this camp we will see them stay more at home with Davies and Hoilett providing the width instead.

Starting line up at home:

Davies Cavallini David 

MAK - Piette - Osorio 

Adekugbe - Cornelius - Henry - Laryea 

Borjan

——————————- (5 players defect to the US)

score: 6-0

AWAY XI:

Hoilett - Larin - Akindele 

Wotherspoon - Johnson - Teibert 

Miller - Cornelius - Henry - Cordova

Crepeau 

Personally I would like to see a CB partnership of Vitoria and Henry for one game. I have concerns with Cornelius & Henry vs USA. Just don't think they are good enough as a pair. Vitoria's experience and  ability on the ball will benefit Henry and he can compensate for SVs lack of speed. Vitoria is starting again  today in Portugal. We need to get results in Oct/Nov.

16 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Personally I would like to see a CB partnership of Vitoria and Henry for one game. I have concerns with Cornelius & Henry vs USA. Just don't think they are good enough as a pair. Vitoria's experience and  ability on the ball will benefit Henry and he can compensate for SVs lack of speed. Vitoria is starting again  today in Portugal. We need to get results in Oct/Nov.

I'd love to see a Henry Vitoria pairing against Cuba as well. 

Edited by king1010

I think Cuba might leave some players at home for the Canada home match.

As stated in a previous thread, the Cayman Islands are very strict on immigration & refugee claims.  Not trying to make this thread political but this article below is from January 2019 where 8 Cuban asylum claims were rejected.  7 of the 8 claimants are being held in a detention centre, the 8th is on day release ( not sure on the current status).  

Sad to say this, but I do believe this is a reason why Cuba might have selected the Cayman Islands for their home match. 

https://www.caymancompass.com/2019/01/15/detained-cubans-announce-second-hunger-strike-in-year/

I'm curious if Cuba has released their roster yet for the matches? If so, I wonder if they do in fact decide not to bring any or some players to Canada? and only bring them to their home match in the Caymans.

Also, I much prefer Borjan start the away match if we are going to play 2 keepers across both games.

Edited by apbsmith