September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Obviously we haven’t called our best team but it’s not really horrible because it’ll give some of our Depth players to get a run around against a easier opponent. Happy Cordova got the call but a bit disappointed Millar hasn’t got the call. That might be for the best however so he can further establish himself at kilmarnock. Hope to see him, Arfield, eustaqio, and James Vs the USA. 

Will eustaqio be fully fit for USA game?

Also James is an interesting one, I wonder if Herdman doesn't rate him. I dont think you can play Straith and Vittoria as a pairing as they would get torched for speed. 

All in all though, not a bad roster. 

Edited by king1010

8 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Obviously we haven’t called our best team but it’s not really horrible because it’ll give some of our Depth players to get a run around against a easier opponent. Happy Cordova got the call but a bit disappointed Millar hasn’t got the call. That might be for the best however so he can further establish himself at kilmarnock. Hope to see him, Arfield, eustaqio, and James Vs the USA. 

Yeah, I do suspect that's the case with Millar. He's made every squad since the NZ camp, so perhaps at this juncture the priority for him is making an impact in Scotland?

Also, Akindele was a must and one of the forwards was going to have to make way. We've been thinking Larin may be dropped to accommodate him, but when you consider Tesho's ability to play out wide, Millar seems like the one who was sacrificed.

Funny how we never saw it that way in the lead up. At least I didn't. It makes sense in hindsight.... 

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

also, how are we back to scape goating Piette? I’m seeing people questioning his inclusion, which confuses me unless it’s because of his recent injuries. He’s a bulldog in the middle for Montreal and is still our next best choice DM behind Atiba.

Just @ me next time brother, I'm happy to converse.

He's not being scape goated. I just think he shouldn't be there since he's been injured, missed alot of games, and hasn't played much meaning he possibly isn't match fit. 

Yes he's our defensive stopper, but I'm sure Teibert and Fraser can do that job for Cuba. 

All in all it goes back to me saying what merits a call-up? 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just noticed Straith is in and James is out. That's an interesting one. Perhaps it's still a case of leaving him in Denmark to help him win a starting role, or maybe has Straith surpassed him in the pecking order now...

Isn't he injured?

Btw they got Straith still playing at Lotte...I guess the days we're calling players at amateur clubs aren't over...

Edited by shamrock

Just now, shamrock said:

Isn't he injured?

Btw they got Straith still paint at Lotte...I guess the days we're calling players at amateur clubs aren't over...

Could be. First I would have heard about it.

Straith is playing in Liga 3. That's an acceptable level considering the experience he has. Hardly amateur...

Do you know what is over though? Call-ups from unattached fc! We can all be thankful for that....

2 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Isn't he injured?

Btw they got Straith still playing at Lotte...I guess the days we're calling players at amateur clubs aren't over...

I believe James is fine. Hes not playing really at all, and was left out of the squad all together last weekend.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Straith is playing in Liga 3. That's an acceptable level considering the experience he has. Hardly amateur...

Do you know what is over though? Call-ups from unattached fc! We can all be thankful for that....

It was the wrong club, was my point. As they are relegated, Lotte are now back to amateurs.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I don't miss those days at all.  Now we are arguing about whether Player X is not playing well enough in whatever European league or MLS.

A very good  balance roster good to see some deserving faces added ...

Liam obviously is disappointed but is honoured and thankful for his appearance up to now but understands he  must put his head down and work even harder to get back in the squad. It’s part of the journey the ups and downs of football  He was in the wider squad...

No denying that Tesho has earned his call up with how he has performed this season. no complaints about the roster 

Edited by spitfire

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It was the wrong club, was my point. As they are relegated, Lotte are now back to amateurs.

Btw I like the Vitoria call, he's playing in Portugals topflight now so he deserves it IMO.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Just @ me next time brother, I'm happy to converse.

He's not being scape goated. I just think he shouldn't be there since he's been injured, missed alot of games, and hasn't played much meaning he possibly isn't match fit. 

Yes he's our defensive stopper, but I'm sure Teibert and Fraser can do that job for Cuba. 

All in all it goes back to me saying what merits a call-up? 

Generalized the statement because you aren’t the first to suggest Piette has been passed in the pecking order recently. But I added in the comment about injuries because I honestly expected those to hold him out against Cuba. I agree with you from the sounds of your explanation, although we have seen Herdman playing Teibert in a much more offensive role with the NT. I just hope that people don’t start to dog on Piette again like a few years ago, just because of our growing midfield depth. As a pure stopper in the midfield he’s still near the top for us.

I'm a fan of Straith. In the last WCQ cycle he provided dependable, patient and mature defending. His experience will be an asset in the squad. When everything is on the line, I'd trust a guy like Straith more than Miller or Cornelius. 

Vitoria needs to take this chance and show that he can be a leader back there.  

Regarding James, sometimes players ask to stay with their clubs one time too many, and the coach starts questioning their commitment and stops calling them. Declining a call to the Gold Cup would certainly piss me off as a manager. Hope something can be done because he is both talented and experienced.

Really glad to see Cordova get a chance to show himself. I imagine Laryea will get the home game at BMO and Cordova will play the away match?

Playing time aside, wondering if James was just really unimpressive (on and / or off the pitch) when he was in under Herdman last? Maybe he just doesn’t fit in the current culture we hear Herdman speaking about so he’s trying out other capable pieces. 

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Adam Straaith is at Hansa Rostock. Has started 4 games there so far this season

PASSPORT

First name
Adam
Last name
Straith
Nationality
Canada
Date of birth
11 September 1990
Country of birth
Canada
Place of birth
Victoria
Position
Defender
Height
188 cm
Weight
89 kg
Foot
Right
Adam  Straith

I'm happy with most of the roster and call ups, but loads of questions, like the rest of you i guess.....

I'd love if someone could shed some light on some of them:

- Whats the point of calling in Fraser when we already have Piette, Teibert, Johnson, Wotherspoon in similar roles?  I understand Piette isn't 100% at the moment, but the rest are.  Seems really deep, especially when you decide you don't need Arfield.

- ZBG is obviously not on Herdman's good side.  First you play Godinho over him during the gold cup, and he kept playing him when he showed nothing positive even against the minnows.  And now he completely omits him to call up Laryea and Cordova?  OK, but very questionable.

- ok, we're deep in forwards and wide players, i get it, but leaving out Millar over Larin?

- I understand Vitoria, but James left out for Striath?  Kinda surprising. 

All that said, good balance, no more playing people out of position i hope. Also nice to actually be able to question and challenge some of the selections, it shows competition and some depth which is good for Canada.

Lastly and most importantly, I'm relieved Godinho wasn't called!

4/5 CBs (depending how you classify Miller)
3/4 LB/RBs (depending how you classify Miller)
7 MF
6 F/Wingers

We can pretty much rule out 3 at the back.  The selection makes us look week in the middle, we'd be stronger in a 4-4-2 with this line up.  I go with:

-----Cavallini / David 
Davies / Kaye / Osorio / Akindele 
Miller / Henry / Vitoria / Cordova 

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I'm a fan of Straith. In the last WCQ cycle he provided dependable, patient and mature defending. His experience will be an asset in the squad. When everything is on the line, I'd trust a guy like Straith more than Miller or Cornelius. 

Vitoria needs to take this chance and show that he can be a leader back there.  

Regarding James, sometimes players ask to stay with their clubs one time too many, and the coach starts questioning their commitment and stops calling them. Declining a call to the Gold Cup would certainly piss me off as a manager. Hope something can be done because he is both talented and experienced.

James declined the invite???  I hadnt heard that.  

I see a lot of people suggesting Akindele is the straight swap for Millar or that he can play out wide. I hate this idea of just because he can play there doesn't mean it's best for him. 

He's been performing from being a straight up striker. He's had mixed performances from playing as a wide man. Since hes came to Orlando he hasn't been put in that position. 

We have three straight up strikers in Lucas, Cyle and Tesho. Not bad if we play a 442, but then that means somebody in midfield will be left out. 

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

James declined the invite???  I hadnt heard that.  

The 'official' word is that he was left behind so he could break in with his club, but that was always odd given it was the off season in Denmark.

James was called for the Virgin Islands, Dominica and St Kitts, but he only played against Dominica, benched completely in the other 2 games. 

Now this is the 3rd camp in a row he has not been called. Something is definitely wrong.

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The 'official' word is that he was left behind so he could break in with his club, but that was always odd given it was the off season in Denmark.

James was called for the Virgin Islands, Dominica and St Kitts, but he only played against Dominica, benched completely in the other 2 games. 

Now this is the 3rd camp in a row he has not been called. Something is definitely wrong.

Could it be maybe that hes played twice in league play only, and was out of the squad all together last weekend.

1 minute ago, jordan said:

Could it be maybe that hes played twice in league play only, and was out of the squad all together last weekend.

Doesn't help his cause. But then Straith hasn't been playing either.  

James has had minutes here and there so in my view a guy who is fighting for minutes in a top tier like Denmark should be getting called every single time for us.  

24 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm happy with most of the roster and call ups, but loads of questions, like the rest of you i guess.....

I'd love if someone could shed some light on some of them:

- Whats the point of calling in Fraser when we already have Piette, Teibert, Johnson, Wotherspoon in similar roles?  I understand Piette isn't 100% at the moment, but the rest are.  Seems really deep, especially when you decide you don't need Arfield.

- ZBG is obviously not on Herdman's good side.  First you play Godinho over him during the gold cup, and he kept playing him when he showed nothing positive even against the minnows.  And now he completely omits him to call up Laryea and Cordova?  OK, but very questionable.

- ok, we're deep in forwards and wide players, i get it, but leaving out Millar over Larin?

- I understand Vitoria, but James left out for Striath?  Kinda surprising. 

All that said, good balance, no more playing people out of position i hope. Also nice to actually be able to question and challenge some of the selections, it shows competition and some depth which is good for Canada.

Lastly and most importantly, I'm relieved Godinho wasn't called!

4/5 CBs (depending how you classify Miller)
3/4 LB/RBs (depending how you classify Miller)
7 MF
6 F/Wingers

We can pretty much rule out 3 at the back.  The selection makes us look week in the middle, we'd be stronger in a 4-4-2 with this line up.  I go with:

-----Cavallini / David 
Davies / Kaye / Osorio / Akindele 
Miller / Henry / Vitoria / Cordova 

I actually didn’t notice that we called up 24 guys. If this was an official tournament roster, another one of our outfield players wouldn’t make it. This also explains why we have an extra midfielder

Also to my point of merit. I will expand on it later after these games are played. 

However we have three 3. Liga players in our current pool - Godinho 22 (FSV Zwickau in 12th), Elva 23 (FC Ingolstadt in 2nd), Straith 28 (Hansa Rostock in 17th). 

Each of these guys have played in majority of the games their teams have played this season.  

I hope Caniggia forces his way in. The harsh reality is Straith is a veteran of failure and hasn't accomplished much in his own career (relegated last year, and will be Ina battle this year) 

This doesn’t really strike me as a “best 23”, it almost looks like a way to see some of the guys on the outside looking in. 

I’m still happy with the squad and some of the new additions, there are just a few that I don’t see as a part of our future plans. It’s Cuba so I can see why some guys are missing, it’s not like we ever play friendlies to give certain players a chance.