September 2019 Squad - CNL Group Stage

Shway

17 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think Cordova will start the first match for sure as he’s better then layrea in my opinion.

I agree with you Cordova is the stronger option, specifically defensively.

I think Cuba is going to park the bus in epic fashion in BMO... try and keep 10-11 behind the ball at BMO. I think Cuba away they might push forward quite a bit more.

For that reason, I'd prefer Cordova away and Layrea at BMO.

Pretty cool and memorable accomplishment if Layrea gets his first senior cap in his hometown on the same field as his club.

Edited by apbsmith

5 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I agree with you Cordova is the stronger option, specifically defensively.

I think Cuba is going to park the bus in epic fashion in BMO... try and keep 10-11 behind the ball at BMO. I think Cuba away they might push forward quite a bit more.

For that reason, I'd prefer Cordova away and Layrea at BMO.

Pretty cool and memorable accomplishment if Layrea gets his first senior cap in his hometown on the same field as his club.

I haven’t watched enough of layrea to know but isn’t Cordova much more offensive minded. Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to play against Cuba at home if we’re going to be attacking for most of the game.

29 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I haven’t watched enough of layrea to know but isn’t Cordova much more offensive minded. Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to play against Cuba at home if we’re going to be attacking for most of the game.

oooo maybe!? I'm in agreement with you that the stronger defensive option should play the away match. 

I thought Layrea was more offensive minded based on what people have posted on here and TFC have him listed as Mid? In addition to a recent article where it says he was called in as a FB not a midfielder. Perhaps, someone that  watches TFC regularly could probably expand more. Going through the recent matches it looks like Layrea has played in a handful of various formations and positions this year.

I always considered Cordova  a more natural RB in a 4 system defence. Cordova seems to be starting week in and week out as a RB in Chile 1st division. You are correct, he does have a few nice highlights when he pushes forward.

Edited by apbsmith

Cordova is much more experienced and defensively sound that Laryea at RB.  Let's not forget Laryea is still learning the position, while fullback is Cordova's natural position.

Going forward, Cordova times his runs like a pro (his team usually does not have the lion's share of possession) and his crosses are dangerous.  Cordova's limitations might be physical.  He is 5'5" and although Cordova is strong on the ball and tough enough to play in Chile, Laryea is simply much more athletically gifted. Laryea is faster and also has shown an ability to penetrate the box and get himself in shooting positions. 

I hope both players get a chance to play.  Competition is good. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

In more positive Cuba news, their forward Luis Paradela is playing with Reno in the USL, which is a first for a current Cuban international (rather than a refugee).

Slightly unrelated note but how good would a full Cuban squad be?

9 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

Slightly unrelated note but how good would a full Cuban squad be?

They're a team that in like 5 years could definitley be one of the better ones in the Caribbean. I am going to assume with the Paradela news that Onel Hernandez will be called up to the team. He would immediately make them much better and I wouldn't expect a 7-0 victory anymore.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

They're a team that in like 5 years could definitley be one of the better ones in the Caribbean. I am going to assume with the Paradela news that Onel Hernandez will be called up to the team. He would immediately make them much better and I wouldn't expect a 7-0 victory anymore.

Hopefully the bulk of the squad doesnt defect within that 5 year timeframe. 

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

So top 2 of David and akindele then probably 

We only play a lone striker.  I’d like to see David up too with Davies and Hoilett on the wings - that is our deadliest trio on the front foot. 

Happy for Millar to be back in the team, he was hard done by to be dropped to begin with imo. 

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We only play a lone striker.  I’d like to see David up too with Davies and Hoilett on the wings - that is our deadliest trio on the front foot. 

Happy for Millar to be back in the team, he was hard done by to be dropped to begin with imo. 

I mean we’ve play David centrally before right behind cavallini which is what I was kinda expecting to happen again but instead with akindele up top.

Posted this on the Liam Millar thread too but with Cav staying home I'd love to see how something like this would work offensively (changed Davies to right and Millar left here though I'm sure they'd switch at times):

Millar              Akindele           Davies

Osorio            David

Kaye

11 hours ago, king1010 said:

before accepting then pulling out? 

They are expecting a baby. His 3rd child I believe.

Clearly he is not one to "pull-out".  ;)

On a more serious note, all the best to him and his family. Since his plans changed suddenly, I hope there are no health problems or complications for his wife &/or the baby.

33 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Posted this on the Liam Millar thread too but with Cav staying home I'd love to see how something like this would work offensively (changed Davies to right and Millar left here though I'm sure they'd switch at times):

Osorio            David

Kaye

Larin is actually getting minutes, maybe given him a chance in the centre again, for one game.

I would still like to see a 4-2-3-1 with David as AMC, like he does for his club, take advantage of both passing and finishing. (Especially without Arfield) 

But I think we always have a bias towards the players we see more regularly. 

Agree that Millar might be showing more than Junior at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Osorio            David

Kaye

Millar has not passed Hoilett yet, however Hoilett can't go the full 90 mins in both games so I am beyond happy Millar has been called.  Especially given the fact Tesho has been playing as a Striker for the majority of this season .

Millar will go from just missing out on the 23 to likely seeing the field at some point, hope the kid makes the most of it and runs with it.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Millar has not passed Hoilett yet, however Hoilett can't go the full 90 mins in both games so I am beyond happy Millar has been called.  Especially given the fact Tesho has been playing as a Striker for the majority of this season .

Millar will go from just missing out on the 23 to likely seeing the field at some point, hope the kid makes the most of it and runs with it.

I agree Millar has not yet passed Hoilett, but I've seen what Hoilett has to offer with this group, and against a team like Cuba I'd love to let Hoilett come off bench and give Liam a good run of minutes to see how he plays off of the other young guns.  Then let Hoilett with his experience start against USA in October.