Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

2 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I’m going to be relatively hypocritical here and state that while I have zero concern about mid-season sales to other clubs, letting a player leave mid-season for trials is a bit bush league. Reminiscent of the A League in its wheezing last gasps. But this is a necessity or maybe he had that in his contract.

I think I read that it was agreed upon when he returned to the club. I think it's an odd decision from the player and his agent to go this route again but perhaps it works out better for them this time than last. Surely, he would have had a solid offer at seasons end if he continued on his same torrid pace though.

Maybe that was part of his deal to rejoin cavalry this summer? To be released if a club of certain stature came in for him?

Cavalry should get some compensation though, as Pepple is under-23, but it may be minimal, performance related, or percentage of future fees (or all of the above). 

Edited by maccaliam
Correcting an autocorrect

^  Luton could just cut the cord and come to an agreement with Cavalry but yeah, 100% certain it will be X plus results/targets.  Not that an outright buy would be a lot of money but money is still money.  Luton is taking a punt here.

What would be considered a good fee?  Not like Cavalry has any bargaining power. 

Pepple will be tripling his wages overnight and, relocating someplace where it's probably cheaper to live than Calgary, LOL.  Good job!    

Edited by Cheeta

2 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Best would be to finish the season with Cavalry, rest and join Luton January 1st right?

Disagree.  Better to join during the preseason, train with them, and show the coach what you can do in an effort to earn playing time.  To me that is better than joining mid season where you would disrupt existing plans (see Laryea for an example of how this is ultra counterproductive).   

I wonder what we should expect in terms of playing time for him. Obviously apples go orangutans with Laryea, considering club, position, age, etc., but coming from the CPL into the EFL is a massive jump, So I hope he isn’t lost in the fray, struggling to make the bench, let alone get some minutes.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Disagree.  Better to join during the preseason, train with them, and show the coach what you can do in an effort to earn playing time.  To me that is better than joining mid season where you would disrupt existing plans (see Laryea for an example of how this is ultra counterproductive).   

I think Laryea got bullshitted big time. I don't know the playing time deal with Pepple, but Luton already has 6 strikers and he'd play more and bag goals in CPL.

CPL to Championship is one big step.

And yeah, arriving midseason is usually off, but at the moment he's 6th/7th in depth chart so winning some time could create opportunities.

Also the possibility of a loan to some League One/Two side... 

Edited by MauditYvon

• 2 weeks later...

Aribim Pepple signs for Luton Town!
lutontown.co.uk August 2 2022

We are delighted to confirm the signing of forward Aribim Pepple from Canadian Premier League side Cavalry FC for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

The Kettering-born striker, 19, lived in Leicestershire before moving to Canada with his family at the age of five.  

It was there that he joined his local club, Calgary Foothills, at Under-10 level and signed for the first team after impressing in the Canadian Premier League open trials aged just 15.  

He signed his first professional contract in August 2019 and played 13 times that season before he announced his departure from Cavalry to move to Spain to join the Getafe youth team.  

Pepple, known as Bim, scored on his debut for Getafe’s U19s and later made his international debut for Canada U17s, before returning to Cavalry in April this year.  

He made an immediate impression upon his return and was named the CPL’s Player of the Month for June after becoming the first-ever player to score in five consecutive matches.  

The 6 ft forward scored six goals in seven outings this term, averaging a goal every 70 minutes for the league leaders.

Manager Nathan Jones said: “We’ve been aware of Bim for a little while. With the greatest respect, we had to do our primary recruitment first, and there are certain signings that we make that are for the future.

“We know that the way we develop players, we are susceptible to losing them and we always want to have a bit of a conveyor belt of players coming through. The club have always been really proactive in finding the next one, and that’s what this does.

“People like Louie Watson, Alfie Doughty, Pepple – they safeguard the future of the club because we are doing our recruitment early with young players, developing them so that we are not having to go out and buy another Carlton Morris, for example.

“We are looking at developing players and keeping them moving forward within the club. Of course, we want to bring them through the academy. If that type isn’t in the academy, then we have to go and get them really early and work with them.

“That’s what this is. It’s a great opportunity for Bim, but he’s also a real good blank canvas to develop into our next Elijah, our next Cameron Jerome, our next Carlton Morris.”

With Pepple returning the country of his birth after 14 years away, Jones added: “He was born over here, but has gone to Canada and had a wonderful way of life over there.

“It may be a little bit different back over here, but I’m sure he’ll adapt to that and he’ll quickly come into the reckoning here, and whatever he needs to get up to speed, we’ll give him that. He’s a wonderful kid and we are really looking forward to working with him."

Pepple, who spent time on trial with both Sheffield United and Leicester City in 2021, added: “It feels really good to finally get this done and be here. I’m so excited to finally come over and join Luton.

“Just in the short time I have been around the club, it is clear the goal of the team this year is to get promoted to the Premier League. If I can help in any way possible, that is my goal."

Would love to see him earn a fast track to the first team.  He seems to have all the right tools so I am curious where he will end up in terms of his ceiling.  I would love to see a CPL player move abroad and really do well at a respectable level. Would be a great advertisement for the league.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Really excited to see what comes of his upcoming season. I heard LT has signed quite a few players as of late, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if he gets loaned out, but even a stint in League One at 19 is a solid step up for him- if he actually cracks the Luton town roster this season, that’s just icing on the cake. It’ll also be really cool to see one of the best players in the CPL play in a highly competitive league. Good for the growth of the league, and good to give us an idea of how our domestic league stacks up against some of the better leagues in the world.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Aribim Pepple signs for Luton Town!
lutontown.co.uk August 2 2022

We are delighted to confirm the signing of forward Aribim Pepple from Canadian Premier League side Cavalry FC for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

The Kettering-born striker, 19, lived in Leicestershire before moving to Canada with his family at the age of five.  

It was there that he joined his local club, Calgary Foothills, at Under-10 level and signed for the first team after impressing in the Canadian Premier League open trials aged just 15.  

He signed his first professional contract in August 2019 and played 13 times that season before he announced his departure from Cavalry to move to Spain to join the Getafe youth team.  

Pepple, known as Bim, scored on his debut for Getafe’s U19s and later made his international debut for Canada U17s, before returning to Cavalry in April this year.  

He made an immediate impression upon his return and was named the CPL’s Player of the Month for June after becoming the first-ever player to score in five consecutive matches.  

The 6 ft forward scored six goals in seven outings this term, averaging a goal every 70 minutes for the league leaders.

Manager Nathan Jones said: “We’ve been aware of Bim for a little while. With the greatest respect, we had to do our primary recruitment first, and there are certain signings that we make that are for the future.

“We know that the way we develop players, we are susceptible to losing them and we always want to have a bit of a conveyor belt of players coming through. The club have always been really proactive in finding the next one, and that’s what this does.

“People like Louie Watson, Alfie Doughty, Pepple – they safeguard the future of the club because we are doing our recruitment early with young players, developing them so that we are not having to go out and buy another Carlton Morris, for example.

“We are looking at developing players and keeping them moving forward within the club. Of course, we want to bring them through the academy. If that type isn’t in the academy, then we have to go and get them really early and work with them.

“That’s what this is. It’s a great opportunity for Bim, but he’s also a real good blank canvas to develop into our next Elijah, our next Cameron Jerome, our next Carlton Morris.”

With Pepple returning the country of his birth after 14 years away, Jones added: “He was born over here, but has gone to Canada and had a wonderful way of life over there.

“It may be a little bit different back over here, but I’m sure he’ll adapt to that and he’ll quickly come into the reckoning here, and whatever he needs to get up to speed, we’ll give him that. He’s a wonderful kid and we are really looking forward to working with him."

Pepple, who spent time on trial with both Sheffield United and Leicester City in 2021, added: “It feels really good to finally get this done and be here. I’m so excited to finally come over and join Luton.

“Just in the short time I have been around the club, it is clear the goal of the team this year is to get promoted to the Premier League. If I can help in any way possible, that is my goal."

Sounds like they’re expecting to have to develop him quite a bit before he becomes part of the first team. Anything can happen though if he shows that he deserves the minutes.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, The Real Marc said:

I’m going to be relatively hypocritical here and state that while I have zero concern about mid-season sales to other clubs, letting a player leave mid-season for trials is a bit bush league. Reminiscent of the A League in its wheezing last gasps. But this is a necessity or maybe he had that in his contract.

Not bush league at all. In reality Cavalry had an agreement with Forest Green Rovers that Pepple would sign for Cavalry and be free to trial at Forest Green should they be interested in the summer transfer window.

It's almost like Cavalry had the player's best interests in mind...

When things didn’t work out for Pepple in Spain after one season, he evaluated his options heading into 2022. Forest Green Rovers, at the time in England’s fourth-tier League Two, had interest, but weren’t ready to sign him during the winter window.

That’s where Cavalry re-entered the picture. Wheeldon offered to sign Pepple to play in his hometown this year, making a gentlemen’s agreement with Forest Green that Pepple would be free to trial with the club in the summer should it so desire. Wheeldon gave Pepple the opportunity he needed to shine at a pro level in 2022, fully aware that he might lose the youngster in July.

No one could have predicted quite how much Pepple would shine this year. After easing his way into the squad, he went on a record-breaking run in June, scoring six goals in five games — the first six goals of his professional career.

After that, it wasn’t just Forest Green paying attention.

https://canpl.ca/article/aribim-pepple-to-luton-town-behind-the-scenes-of-a-cpl-transfer

28 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Not bush league at all. In reality Cavalry had an agreement with Forest Green Rovers that Pepple would sign for Cavalry and be free to trial at Forest Green should they be interested in the summer transfer window.

It's almost like Cavalry had the player's best interests in mind...

https://canpl.ca/article/aribim-pepple-to-luton-town-behind-the-scenes-of-a-cpl-transfer

That was a really cool article read.  Very illuminating.  Thanks.