Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

Well Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti was on my turntable a lot back then. And most def agree with the Bee Gees comment above lol, although nobody was looking for 'the hippest' bar among my crowd.

Edited by Ed_S

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Get a time machine to 1975, go to the hippest bar you can find and request the Bee Gees on the jukebox. Once you come back to the present day and recover from your beating, tell us how it went 

Mid-70s

We listened to a rather broad variety of music, and I was a teen. We listened to Allman Brothers and an array of US Southern rock; I liked the Eagles, also Jonathan Richman; Chick Corea and other more experimental jazz like Dave Holland and Anthony Braxton, that was mostly me and I have friends now who are experimental improvised musicians; then Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple and anything hard like King Crimson (all pre-punk, that came later); there was a guy who made a record called Alladin Sane, but I forgot his name; then were getting into the progressive bands like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull, perhaps that was what we spent most time listening to. My cousin came from London when I was 13 and he got all the British music mags and we scoured them, well before the music was even available we were ordering stuff. But I never stopped listening to Dylan and certain wordsmiths (I listened to John Prine early on, may his soul rest in peace);then, Bob Marley broke into the mainstream. Eric Clapton and Santana, it was a huge array of music; we also listened to jazz fusion. I listened to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and other greats, but those guys never came to play in Vancouver. Blues, even historical blues.

We'd be even more diverse when it came to concerts, because we were into the event--so my first big concert was Alice Cooper, to give an example.

At no time was anyone saying this or that was not to be listened to, except that I tended to dislike mainstream pop and rather disliked anything that was disco, overly melodic or laid on the harmonies. But I had friends who did listen to that stuff, and we all knew it, because AM radio play was rather homogenous. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Currently? There are none. Rock is dead.

If we're getting off topic here: It definitely seems impossible to start a band these days if you don't know many musicians. I've been trying for almost a year to find people (searching online) and only managed to jam with two guys, one who was sketchy and was asking to borrow my gear since he only apparently owned one guitar so that obviously didn't work out. I just had one guy message me a few weeks ago to set something up but he's already ghosting me. I don't know where the hell all these committed musicians are.

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Get a time machine to 1975, go to the hippest bar you can find and request the Bee Gees on the jukebox. Once you come back to the present day and recover from your beating, tell us how it went 

Studio 54 was the hippest bar around that time and I am sure they played the Bee Gees so for once maybe do a little research and not be a such a condescending ass.  

But actually I was being sarcastic but I guess that went over your head.

59 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Studio 54 was the hippest bar around that time and I am sure they played the Bee Gees so for once maybe do a little research and not be a such a condescending ass.  

Studio 54 opened in 77, in the iteration you refer to.

But yes, they played disco, picking up on that craze late 70s, but was not really hip for anything related to the music being played. In fact it was probably the very worst aspect of the endeavour.

The guests who were musicians made far better music than what was being played. Many musicians who were not allowed in were far better than what they played at Studio 54

But yes, they played the Bee Gees at Studio 54. That was not cool though, and it sure didn't make them cool.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I'll give you a couple I really like. The War on Drugs & The Wild Feathers.  And they are both absolutely amazing live. 

I like War On Drugs, but I never heard of the other one. I did hear they're sick live though.

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

Yeah I know you were trying to be sarcastic. If you wanna talk about being condescending, you should've probably done a little research yourself and discovered the supremely cooler and more influential CBGB, in the exact same city as studio 54. or max's kansas city! just like they probably played the bee gees at dance clubs in the 70s, they play panic at the disco at dance clubs now, and I think you'll find it very hard to find people who would openly call them "cool".

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

People hate on The Bee Gees because deep down their melodies and harmonies are so catchy that even death metal heads find themselves humming along in the car when Jive Talkin comes on.

FWIW I like the bee gees and lots of other "not cool" music. I just find the discussion about which band is cool and what band isn't super tedious, because there's always gonna be someone who listens to cooler stuff than you. when I was scouring the european hardcore blogs for obscure bands from germany and czechia, some other guy was name dropping the coolest bands from estonia and eastern russia.

1 hour ago, RS said:

I know this board loves to go off topic, but I never expected the Aribim Pepple thread to veer off into a "what was cool 50 years ago?" argument.

2nd the motion.  Caught me by surprise.  Don't feel like I'm surprised very often anymore.

Black Sabbath Volume 4 sticks in my mind since we're off into the wild.  Hell, I thought it was cool!  And just a cub!   Bought it 2nd hand and my Mum sold it 12 years later at a garage sale.  Tragic.

Ahem.  As you were.