Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

Really hope he gets fits team minutes and not just stuck onto the u23s or something I saw a TikTok where the NBu23 or something beat sunderland u23s so that level would probably be a step down (although good for Canada soccer never the less) it did say the 9th new signing too so he’s gonna have to impress.

3 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Really hope he gets fits team minutes and not just stuck onto the u23s or something I saw a TikTok where the NBu23 or something beat sunderland u23s so that level would probably be a step down (although good for Canada soccer never the less) it did say the 9th new signing too so he’s gonna have to impress.

Hey do you know where I could find anything out about the NB U23 game?   A friends son was asked to play for them (he had previously trialed at the wanderers u23 team).   

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hey do you know where I could find anything out about the NB U23 game?   A friends son was asked to play for them (he had previously trialed at the wanderers u23 team).   

I looked around on the internet after I saw the TikTok couldn’t really find anything except that the team was just recently formed.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNqX71BS/?k=1

that’s the TikTok If you wanna get in touch with the creator of the video

Agreed that at his age this is a good loan, he's better off with minutes and does have to mature in many facets. 

Also agree that for the CPL, League 2 is a good equivalent, even a tier down I'd say. I don't think the best clubs in CPL, as they are now, could survive in League Two, frankly. 

Once we begin to establish the equivalences through transfers like this, the CPL will be valued for this very reason: a place to pick up talented youth and work with them.

I can't see Pepple's success, or failure, in League 2 providing all that much context in terms of the level of CPL. He scored 6 goals in 7 games with Cavalry this season, but it was perhaps the scrappiest collection of goals I've ever seen. There's not much chance he replicates that at any level

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed that at his age this is a good loan, he's better off with minutes and does have to mature in many facets. 

Also agree that for the CPL, League 2 is a good equivalent, even a tier down I'd say. I don't think the best clubs in CPL, as they are now, could survive in League Two, frankly. 

Once we begin to establish the equivalences through transfers like this, the CPL will be valued for this very reason: a place to pick up talented youth and work with them.

Agreed, I think the best players can hang and succeed here, I do hope he does well as if he does the CPL transfer fees will start to go up big time.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I can't see Pepple's success, or failure, in League 2 providing all that much context in terms of the level of CPL. He scored 6 goals in 7 games with Cavalry this season, but it was perhaps the scrappiest collection of goals I've ever seen. There's not much chance he replicates that at any level

Not having missed a game at Spruce Meadows this year, I don't agree with that assessment.

5 hours ago, solsous said:

Is league 2 head and shoulders above what he left, or is it acceptable because it's England?

Top end of CanPL rosters (players like Becker, Bustos, Escalante etc) are comparable in quality. Bottom end of the rosters that are earning burger flipping level money not so much. Overall that equates to a step up IMO.

Beyond that it's important to bear in mind that England only regionalizes at tier 6 and clubs in the top five tiers are almost all fully professional. In other large European countries the tiers regionalize and turn semi-pro sooner.

55 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Top end of CanPL rosters (players like Becker, Bustos, Escalante etc) are comparable in quality. Bottom end of the rosters that are earning burger flipping level money not so much. Overall that equates to a step up IMO.

Beyond that it's important to bear in mind that England only regionalizes at tier 6 and clubs in the top five tiers are almost all fully professional. In other large European countries the tiers regionalize and turn semi-pro sooner.

When Petrasso went to Barnet in 5th tier, a weak team, he was quite good, a solid player for them. I think most CPL teams could compete in National League. 

If you look at the movement between CPL and Spain, players seemed competent in what was third tier, the old 2B, but as you say at that time the 3rd tier was regionalised, so it was a major step down from 2nd. Now they've changed it. 

It seems Ongaro was competent in top flight Romania, that would seem to be a better bet, from CPL to a top flight in a lesser national football structure. But his age was a factor there too.

The important thing is that is makes little sense for a team in League One or Two or say Bundesliga 3 (IMO the best third tier in the world) to sign a CPL veteran. They are not going to gain much, I seriously doubt any player in CPL could have an important impact. Quite different is if a CPL veteran wants to try League Two, and tries hard to make a move to have the experience, getting his agent to work on it.

Completely different, as we have seen, is the question of youth, say 21 and younger. Taking a chance on a younger player and seeing if he might eventually sell to a higher level, that will be possible. 

If anyone wants to argue that a few CPL have moved comfortably into MLS, I agree, but the fact that they are Canadians, onto Canadian teams, and in a league with rosters that are extremely unequal. So it's okay in MLS to have a solid League Two type player along with those with top flight quality.

31 now so if he has lost a step of pace he could easily be more League Two sort of level in English terms by now but who knows why Joe Mason decided that Calgary was best for his future and what his options were in the UK at that point? Drawing conclusions from the career of a single player isn't much to go on. I've always been of the opinion that the best way to gauge relative playing standards is to simply watch youtube highlight clips regularly from both leagues:

Give it a few weeks and I suspect quite a few people on here will have been doing that with Grimsby Town games and will be in a position to form an opinion on how it stacks up against the Cavalry.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Not having missed a game at Spruce Meadows this year, I don't agree with that assessment.

Which part of it? I hope I’m wrong and he replicates that type of form, but I’m not sure it’s likely. I think he’s got great potential but here’s his goals compilation for context. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Those look like some nice goals. He’s good at cleaning out the trash in front of the net.

He isnt afraid to get into the dirty area's and take some abuse for a goal. Should serve him well in L2. 

15 hours ago, solsous said:

Is league 2 head and shoulders above what he left, or is it acceptable because it's England?

I think it's acceptable because he tripled his wages and is playing in a location where the eyes of the parent club (and countless rivals) can assess him on a day to day basis in ever aspect.  On field, off field, the lot.

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

I think it's acceptable because he tripled his wages and is playing in a location where the eyes of the parent club (and countless rivals) can assess him on a day to day basis in ever aspect.  On field, off field, the lot.

Great point!