Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It might even be more simple than that. Maybe it's just that he didn't score.

You know how these things go, you score on your debut, you get a run out next game.

You score again, you're 2-for-2, now you have the managers trust for a few games.

Score another goal in the next 3 matches? You're 3 for 5 now, and you're definitely getting an extended run in the team.

This is true regardless of age. Look at Ugbo at Cardiff City. Maybe he underwealmed in some aspects, but he scored early and often, which earned him more and more chances. Once his goals dried up, so did his minutes.

Unlike Ugbo, Pepple didn't score at any point, unfortunately, so perhaps he didn't give himself a chance. 

I would agree with you here, but if I remember correctly, he got an assist off the bench in his first game with Grimsby and generally looked not bad, and then minutes quickly came hard to come by. That said, he could’ve obviously gotten more minutes if he was actually able to score- his last professional goal is still with Cavalry. It’s weird though, with Bromley he starts his first game, then barely plays again. They’re a big contender for promotion, I get it, but you figure they’d give him at least some minutes somewhere. Compared to some of our other plays who have been allowed to play through slumps, I’m wondering if the coach is seeing some deficiencies in training that make them skeptical to put him out during a game. On the other hand, just shows how hard it is for an international to get minutes in lower leagues if you don’t fly out of the gates. I think David Norman had a decent League Two stint and was not resigned after? 

16 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would agree with you here, but if I remember correctly, he got an assist off the bench in his first game with Grimsby and generally looked not bad, and then minutes quickly came hard to come by. That said, he could’ve obviously gotten more minutes if he was actually able to score- his last professional goal is still with Cavalry. It’s weird though, with Bromley he starts his first game, then barely plays again. They’re a big contender for promotion, I get it, but you figure they’d give him at least some minutes somewhere. Compared to some of our other plays who have been allowed to play through slumps, I’m wondering if the coach is seeing some deficiencies in training that make them skeptical to put him out during a game. On the other hand, just shows how hard it is for an international to get minutes in lower leagues if you don’t fly out of the gates. I think David Norman had a decent League Two stint and was not resigned after? 

Good points.

This reminds me of Corbeanu as well. He is another case of loan opportunities not playing out expected. That's why it's so big that he moved on a permanent transfer. The importance of finding stability via being with your parent club cannot be overstated, especially for players like Pepple and Corbeanu, who are young and talented but need development minutes to find themselves as players. 

Too often perhaps, we see clubs take players on loan but find themselves in a win-now position. That can have it's benefits for player development, but one big drawback is that winning is prioritized over all. In that scenario, getting players their development minutes becomes less important. And when you don't own the player, how much do you care about them, when push comes to shove? That may partly explain why some players seem to start well, but then fizzle out at the end. 

Edited by Obinna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I checked in on him - thanks for the updates.

Consulting Transfermarkt, I was reminded that he transferred after scoring 6 in 7 matches at Cavalry in 2022.

Apart from that stretch he has yet to score another goal; before or since. Pretty crazy.

I also note that he is still quite young, he turned 21 on Christmas Day.

• 1 month later...