Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm not sure this is a problem. Leagues around the world lose players in mid season windows.

Will selling Pepple reduce attendance? Is any of the paying public paying to see the individual CPL players or are they there more for the experience in general?

Yeah, the close season is sort of our transfer window.  Except it seems to be less a window and more a diode.  The traffic is all in one direction.

Proven, quality, stand out players are exiting and being replaced by what?  Speculation if anything.  And really the timing couldn't be worse.

If anyone doesn't thing reducing the on field talent isn't bad for a spectator sport I'll respectfully disagree.  I think so would a lot of what remains of the Valour support these days.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I get the sense that most casual fans are attached to the players but are not invested or attached to any context outside of CPL.

For example, Malonga and Pasquotti were two good examples of fan favorites in 2019, because they were great players for the club. Malonga was the main goal scorer (which naturally breeds admiration) and Pasquotti was somewhat skillful but was primarily a hard worker that ran his socks off every match, plus he had a notorious, signature, quasi-illegal long throw-in that everyone here loved (but it was probably loathed if you were an opposing fan). I would argue fans were attached to those two players more than any other in the first season (maybe Carducci deserves mention here). 

However, I never got the sense fans cared (or even knew) when Pasquotti was linked to a Scandinavian move. I don't recall any comments about possibly losing him to another team, or what it would mean for the player's professional journey, if the step up would be worth it, or if it's a step up at all, etc. 

Similarly, when Malonga left, it was like "oh he's gone"? "Well that sucks, I liked him, too bad". At least from my observations there wasn't really any curiosity about the new league and club, how he'd fit in, how many goals he'll score, if it was a good/bad career move for him, etc.

Perhaps the more hardcore supporters hold a more worldly context when it comes to players and where they fit in the larger football landscape, I don't know. I am not one of them and they are obviously just a subset of the fanbase, so they wouldn't reflect it as a whole. 

I don’t think everyone will care, nor do most sports fan pay attention when a player leaves for another league, however I think soccer fans generally understand the pecking order amongst leagues, ie Canadian soccer is at a certain level, English soccer is at a much higher level, players signing there generally signals to a team’s fans that their players might actually be really good. 

i guess it’s like if you’re a fan of the local minor league team- you shouldn’t feel sour when your players get called up to the big team. If anything, it means that your players are doing good things and you should know going into the season that good performance = potential transfers to higher clubs.

but again, my hypothesis is that a lot of CPL spectators are just happy to watch live sports in their hometown. You’ve got a couple kids and nothing to do on a nice summer night in Calgary, might as well bring the kids to the Cavalry game, roster be damned.

Considering Petrasso went to 5th tier England Barnet and was pretty good, we might have thought that the best of CPL was in around that level. Or maybe League 2. 

Now I know the Pepple transfer also is about his age, but a guy transferring into League One is really good for how the league looks. He'll have to perform, but we have young players on EPL clubs who have been loaned down into League One (Millar, Corbeanu), so it is a very positive comparison for the league.

We also had Ongaro go from CPL to top flight Romania, and I think he fared fairly well. Viti Martínez was loaned to Alavés B, third tier Spain, and did well (btw he is now on the Andorra club that played the early Champions League round, Inter Escaldes.).

Just saying: if CPL consolidates as a certain level, and that was for example League One or higher League Two, you'd have to be pleased. 

No one's going to stop going to Cavalry games because a player was signed as a replacement, went on a hot streak, and was sold 3 months later. That's a ridiculous suggestion. Most of that 2019 team was beloved, is gone, and yet Cavalry are the only club that's bringing in more people in 2022 than they were in 2019. If anything, seeing players come up from the youth ranks to the first team, and on to bigger and better leagues is a point of pride.

People go to Cavalry games because it's a fun day / night out and it's cheaper than every other professional sport in this city. 

Also, Malonga a fan favourite? Not at all. Most of the supporters group were excited to see him go. Pasquotti was definitely loved but people understand why he's gone.

Edited by shermanator

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

No one's going to stop going to Cavalry games because a player was signed as a replacement, went on a hot streak, and was sold 3 months later. That's a ridiculous suggestion. Most of that 2019 team was beloved, is gone, and yet Cavalry are the only club that's bringing in more people in 2022 than they were in 2019. If anything, seeing players come up from the youth ranks to the first team, and on to bigger and better leagues is a point of pride.

People go to Cavalry games because it's a fun day / night out and it's cheaper than every other professional sport in this city. 

Also, Malonga a fan favourite? Not at all. Most of the supporters group were excited to see him go. Pasquotti was definitely loved but people understand why he's gone.

That's fair actually, because I do recall complaints about the chances he missed, now that you mention it. And I do think some cheered at his departure for sure. I remember more frustration later in the season than at earlier in the season.

Hmm....maybe he was just my favorite? lol

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

why did pasquotti leave? I totally missed that

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

That's fair actually, because I do recall complaints about the chances he missed, now that you mention it. And I do think some cheered at his departure for sure. I remember more frustration later in the season than at earlier in the season.

Hmm....maybe he was just my favorite? lol

Malonga was by far the least liked player on that 2019 squad, and that was with him leading the club in scoring. People were indifferent to Patino and Bitar, but everyone else was absolutely beloved. Particularly players like Brown, Mavila, Escalante, Carducci and Adekgube who went out of their way to interact with supporters. More than a few people celebrated when he signed in Bulgaria. 

1 hour ago, ADP10 said:

why did pasquotti leave? I totally missed that

After training with Ross County alongside Zator, he turned down a multi year deal in 2020 to sign a one year contract. In the playoffs, he tore his ACL due to a poor challenge from Matthew Baldisimo. 6 months after having surgery, he had to undergo a second surgery to repair a cyclops lesion and repair a femoral screw that has loosened. 

I know the club was looking to bring him back on trial in 2022 but not sure if that actually happened. His family owns a custom home business in Lethbridge and does very well, and with that injury recovery it's probably the better career choice to focus on that now. 

On 7/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, Cheeta said:

Not to pick on anyone, and maybe CPL isn't in a position to make these sort of requirements in player contracts but the idea that a player can leave a team mid-term isn't exactly the smartest business practice is it?

Yes the league wants these "sell ons" and yes, even without them having the league seen as a stepping stone by the player pool out there helps with recruitment.  However, losing your best players mid-season helps sell the league to the paying public in what way?

A deal is a deal.  That's fair, but going into future years CPL HQ really needs to give this a think.

Other people have countered this point, but here is another way of looking at it.

There are 2 main transfer windows (with little differences from nation to nation). July(ish) and January(ish). If leagues around the world agreed with you, that would mean leagues like the CPL, MLS, Norway, would only ever use the January transfer window, and leagues like England, Spain, Germany, Italy, etc would only ever use the July transfer window. You would effectively have 2 different pools of players globally. Nobody could go from a league that plays through July to a league that plays through January, unless they went without a team for about a year.

This would NOT be good for the leagues that play through July. Players wouldn't want to sign contracts with CPL, MLS, or Scandinavian leagues (not sure which other leagues) because it would effectively shut them out of contention for the majority (and the biggest) of European leagues. So I think that actually the protectionist proposal you are making would reduce the quality of the league.

And of course, add to that, selling players brings in money to clubs, which can help them be more sustainable, or to afford better players or just to pay existing players better so they can focus more on soccer instead of getting second jobs, etc.

I’m going to be relatively hypocritical here and state that while I have zero concern about mid-season sales to other clubs, letting a player leave mid-season for trials is a bit bush league. Reminiscent of the A League in its wheezing last gasps. But this is a necessity or maybe he had that in his contract.