Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I think when a player is a dual national with a nation that is so much better than us, it becomes irrelevant in the sense that if he's good, he'll play for them, if he's not as good, he'll play for us. I do hope that if Pepple is on the England radar, which I would assume he really isn't, that him and Jebbison, etc. don't hold out for the ENGMNT dream until they're like 25, because it would be a drag to lose some of their prime years on CANMNT because they're holding out for the faint chance that England calls them up.

This was basically Junior Hoilett.

The official reason he waited was to "focus on club football", but it's public knowledge that his father wanted him to play for Jamaica. There was also public discourse at the time that Junior may have been eligible for England (he wasn't at the end of the day). This was during his Blackburn days where he was one of the best young players in the English Premier League, so holding out for England wasn't far fetched.

I suppose only Junior knows the degree he was exploring England vs. contemplating Jamaica vs. focusing on his club career.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, he would, I think the issue is you need Canadian citizenship to play for the senior team, and if he hasn’t already obtained that, now that he plays in England (and assuming he chooses to base himself there permanently) the odds of him getting a passport are trickier if he’s focused on making it work in England and maybe one day making a crack at England’s men’s team. 

Thanks to all the responses, but this is what I was getting at. I have yet to see confirmation he has Canadian citizenship. I suppose it's like Ugbo, like Corazon says, but didn't Ugbo have a Canadian born parent? Does Pepple? How was Ugbo able to qualify as a Canadian citizen?

31 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

He was already called up by Canada at the youth level, he just never played. 100% eligible for us without a doubt 

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.  Both Owen Goodman and Mataeo Bunbury both play for Canada u20 in friendlies and both ended up being ineligible for the U20 tournament that passed.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.  Both Owen Goodman and Mataeo Bunbury both play for Canada u20 in friendlies and both ended up being ineligible for the U20 tournament that passed.

I should rephrase that, he *likely* already has a Canadian passport but 100% is eligible to obtain a Canadian passport and eligible under FIFA rules. Bunbury and Goodman’s cases were a bit more complicated since Bunbury has never lived in Canada and Goodman left Canada a few years ago. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This was basically Junior Hoilett.

The official reason he waited was to "focus on club football", but it's public knowledge that his father wanted him to play for Jamaica. There was also public discourse at the time that Junior may have been eligible for England (he wasn't at the end of the day). This was during his Blackburn days where he was one of the best young players in the English Premier League, so holding out for England wasn't far fetched.

I suppose only Junior knows the degree he was exploring England vs. contemplating Jamaica vs. focusing on his club career.

Thanks to all the responses, but this is what I was getting at. I have yet to see confirmation he has Canadian citizenship. I suppose it's like Ugbo, like Corazon says, but didn't Ugbo have a Canadian born parent? Does Pepple? How was Ugbo able to qualify as a Canadian citizen?

Here, I just looked up Fifa eligibility, and I'm pretty sure Pepple is ready to get capped:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

ART. 7 ACQUISITION OF A NEW NATIONALITY
Any player who refers to art. 5 par.1 to assume a new nationality and who
has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 3 shall
be eligible to play for the representative teams of the new association only
if he fulfils one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association:
i) for players that began living on the territory before the age of
10: at least three years;
ii) for players that began living on the territory between the age
of 10 and 18: at least five years;

iii) for players that began living on the territory from the age of
18: at least five years.
2. A player who seeks to rely upon par. d ii) must:
a) demonstrate that the move to the territory of the association was not
for the purpose of participating for its representative teams; and
b) submit, via the relevant association, a request for eligibility to the
Players’ Status Committee

Based on wikipedia, he started playing for Calgary Foothills at 9, so all he needs is 3 years living in Canada and to prove he didn't move here to join the national team, both factual. So I think we're good here.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Here, I just looked up Fifa eligibility, and I'm pretty sure Pepple is ready to get capped:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Based on wikipedia, he started playing for Calgary Foothills at 9, so all he needs is 3 years living in Canada and to prove he didn't move here to join the national team, both factual. So I think we're good here.

Great news. Thanks for that digging. Relieved to read that. 

I hope he gets on well at Forest Green.

17 hours ago, Corazon said:

I don’t know about bunbary but Goodman is eligible and wants to play for us just copied them get a passport In time.

Passports are also generally really hard to obtain these days; a few of my friends have been struggling, even as people born in Canada, just because resources are so thin. Luckily we don’t have any senior team dual nationals in that predicament, but if a guy like Owen Goodman was in the mix for Qatar, I’d be real nervous that he’d be able to obtain his documents by November.

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Passports are also generally really hard to obtain these days; a few of my friends have been struggling, even as people born in Canada, just because resources are so thin. Luckily we don’t have any senior team dual nationals in that predicament, but if a guy like Owen Goodman was in the mix for Qatar, I’d be real nervous that he’d be able to obtain his documents by November.

If a guy like Owen Goodman was in the mix for Qatar, I'd be real nervous about our goalkeeping depth heading into the World Cup!

7 minutes ago, El Diego said:

If a guy like Owen Goodman was in the mix for Qatar, I'd be real nervous about our goalkeeping depth heading into the World Cup!

For sure, I meant more if he was good enough, or if any other player in a similar situation was in contention for Qatar and started applying for their passport today, I'd be skeptical that they'd get all their papers in order by November.

Not to pick on anyone, and maybe CPL isn't in a position to make these sort of requirements in player contracts but the idea that a player can leave a team mid-term isn't exactly the smartest business practice is it?

Yes the league wants these "sell ons" and yes, even without them having the league seen as a stepping stone by the player pool out there helps with recruitment.  However, losing your best players mid-season helps sell the league to the paying public in what way?

A deal is a deal.  That's fair, but going into future years CPL HQ really needs to give this a think.

31 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For sure, I meant more if he was good enough, or if any other player in a similar situation was in contention for Qatar and started applying for their passport today, I'd be skeptical that they'd get all their papers in order by November.

No, you were clear in what you were saying, I was just making a bit of a silly joke :P

34 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Not to pick on anyone, and maybe CPL isn't in a position to make these sort of requirements in player contracts but the idea that a player can leave a team mid-term isn't exactly the smartest business practice is it?

Yes the league wants these "sell ons" and yes, even without them having the league seen as a stepping stone by the player pool out there helps with recruitment.  However, losing your best players mid-season helps sell the league to the paying public in what way?

A deal is a deal.  That's fair, but going into future years CPL HQ really needs to give this a think.

I'm not sure this is a problem. Leagues around the world lose players in mid season windows.

Will selling Pepple reduce attendance? Is any of the paying public paying to see the individual CPL players or are they there more for the experience in general?

5 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm not sure this is a problem. Leagues around the world lose players in mid season windows.

Will selling Pepple reduce attendance? Is any of the paying public paying to see the individual CPL players or are they there more for the experience in general?

Selling Pepple will have zero influence on my decision to go to Cavalry games. It does give me a bit of regret I never watched him more when I had the chance, but I have seen him a few times live already, so no big deal overall.  

I've never been to a CPL game so I don't know the culture, but are people that attached to players? I feel like if anything knowing that the team you support is good enough to send guys to england is motivation to show up to the games, because who knows, maybe it's Pepple to Luton Town this year, and maybe some day, Cavalry sells a player to the premier league, so might as well support the team and maybe get to see the next Johnathan David or Alphonso Davies or something.

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I've never been to a CPL game so I don't know the culture, but are people that attached to players? I feel like if anything knowing that the team you support is good enough to send guys to england is motivation to show up to the games, because who knows, maybe it's Pepple to Luton Town this year, and maybe some day, Cavalry sells a player to the premier league, so might as well support the team and maybe get to see the next Johnathan David or Alphonso Davies or something.

I get the sense that most casual fans are attached to the players but are not invested or attached to any context outside of CPL.

For example, Malonga and Pasquotti were two good examples of fan favorites in 2019, because they were great players for the club. Malonga was the main goal scorer (which naturally breeds admiration) and Pasquotti was somewhat skillful but was primarily a hard worker that ran his socks off every match, plus he had a notorious, signature, quasi-illegal long throw-in that everyone here loved (but it was probably loathed if you were an opposing fan). I would argue fans were attached to those two players more than any other in the first season (maybe Carducci deserves mention here). 

However, I never got the sense fans cared (or even knew) when Pasquotti was linked to a Scandinavian move. I don't recall any comments about possibly losing him to another team, or what it would mean for the player's professional journey, if the step up would be worth it, or if it's a step up at all, etc. 

Similarly, when Malonga left, it was like "oh he's gone"? "Well that sucks, I liked him, too bad". At least from my observations there wasn't really any curiosity about the new league and club, how he'd fit in, how many goals he'll score, if it was a good/bad career move for him, etc.

Perhaps the more hardcore supporters hold a more worldly context when it comes to players and where they fit in the larger football landscape, I don't know. I am not one of them and they are obviously just a subset of the fanbase, so they wouldn't reflect it as a whole. 

21 hours ago, Corazon said:

He was named as a reserve in the 2019 U17 World Cup squad, he's eligible.