Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

We are going to see alot of different lineups with this roster.

If we have a must win semi final game against US or Mexico, the only for sure starters are ZBG, Cornelius, and Buchanan.

There a couple players I think could have breakout years, and hopefully this can be the start of that. Pantemis could take the #1 spot from Diop. Montgomery is someone I have followed since before he was drafted and I hope gets a legit shot in Minnesota.

I would like to start seeing Bair producing and maybe this will give him some confidence. And we all know that Tabla needs this more than ever.

Seems like a mistake not to take Okello if the reports are true that he was going to be the only player released anyways. We should be able to get through the first 2 matches short 1 player, and if we make it through the group stage, all that really matters is the semi finals anyways. It seems to me that having Okello in a semi final against USA/Mexico is more important that having a full squad in the first 2 group matches.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Seems like a mistake not to take Okello if the reports are true that he was going to be the only player released anyways. We should be able to get through the first 2 matches short 1 player, and if we make it through the group stage, all that really matters is the semi finals anyways. It seems to me that having Okello in a semi final against USA/Mexico is more important that having a full squad in the first 2 group matches.

"The reports" was one guy posting in this thread, unless I missed something.

I must say I'm surprised that Twardek was released for this given that he's been starting in Poland. Can't help but feel that any one of Okello, Fraser, Priso, Johnston or Paton would have been a nice addition to central mid in place of Raposo. 

Even with all the guys we have missing just compare this team to past qualification teams it's crazy. So much more experience.

Edited by CanadaFan123

The team is quality, it’s the reality that the team could be a lot better. Even without mentioning the elite guys.

Now imagine if this team qualifies lol....Mauro Biello might be saying “wtf are we going to do now”....because at least half the team would/should be replaced. 

Exciting month ahead, think happy thoughts.

Metcalfe must have done something right in training because he had 7 appearances last year. 

Norman I get because of his versatility especially in a 20 man squad. Same goes for Godinho who can play both fullback positions.

Edited by PopePouri

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

True - but that guy has been getting a lot of things right. He knew awhile ago that Sturring and Corbeanu would be with the senior team, which I don’t think anyone else could have predicted

I'm not calling that guy's reputation into question, just saying that it's only one guy and not multiple reports as was intimated.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

52 minutes ago, Shway said:

The team is quality, it’s the reality that the team could be a lot better. Even without mentioning the elite guys.

Now imagine if this team qualifies lol....Mauro Biello might be saying “wtf are we going to do now”....because at least half the team would/should be replaced. 

Exciting month ahead, think happy thoughts.

If we qualify for the Olympics, we could still bring in a few players over age for the final roster. If we are going to go to Japan, we might as well make it a great experience for players who might never go to an Olympics. 

I would strengthen the Olympic side, like with fringe GC players, since it has its prestige as well.

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

and Daniels....but it is what it is. We truly were short for options, if we can't name who would replace them considering Shome was injured.

I believe Daniels actually played a lot and had a very good season.

I bet they regret not taddijg Borges on the 50, and I do think we could have taken 1 risk in Okello if it meant having him for 2-3 games.