Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

Just thinking more about this team. The starting XI Will be one fast 11, I wouldn’t be surprised if they go full out bombing down the wings and with a huge target like bair there. Ballou, Dais and Brym are very fast and crafty. Also Ballou played against England and we beat them 2-1. I really think this is going to be his calling card. 

Ballot is for me the X factor. If he can get his game together and demonstrate the superior talent that most think he has, he could be the difference maker.  Hopefully he realizes the window is beginning to close on him being a top talent and this will spur him on to have a whale of a tournament.

7 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Not sure if its been mentioned on here or not but I just checked OneSoccer and realized they're airing all the games not just Canada's. Will definitely tune in to a few

I subscribed again didn’t know this but getting more value I’m all for it.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Since we are now full on talking about this now, I have a question. Why is it that whenever somebody utters the word "hoax" we assume it's a denial the virus is real? 

Because not too many people have a high IQ like you and I brother. We consume the things around us like the rest of the population but we don't allow ourselves to get manipulated by it. We can decipher fact from agenda, and the fact we do our own research allows us to see greater truths, and when those truths are preached to the ignorant, you will notice how they react like children. The end result unfortunately results in us staying silent during future conversations with those very same people.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its safe to say that the media and the forces behind pop culture rightly or wrongly were on a constant full court press to discredit anything that came out of his mouth. Thats just the way it was, for whatever reason

No denying that.

3 hours ago, longlugan said:

Sounds like the douchebagy thing you would do. Don't ever change asswipe...you and all the deniers.

The moment you get emotional brother, is the moment you lose a conversation. Remember these words for next time. Pause, take the emotion out of it and then respond. You will thank me many years from now.

2 hours ago, longlugan said:

Thank you for pointing this out but it won't change his way of thinking. It does confirm what a despicable human being he is though.

Somebody that steals from their grandparents is a despicable human being. SpursFlu just engaged in some banter and ribbing of his fellow man. Nothing too audacious. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Doesn't really answer my question, but some interesting points. I agree that agreed upon standards of masks would go a long way. Not the first thing I think about when I hear "hoax", but I am sympathetic to your complaints around that.

There is no shortage of disagreement when it comes to this stuff, but it's important we talk to each other civilly, like I am trying to do right now, so we can at least understand the disagreements. That's the first step in not making enemies out of each other.

To that end, a very common misunderstanding I see that creates much unnecessary frustration is the idea that "hoax" equals "virus denial". This alienates many rational people from the conversation. Assuming these people are virus deniers, whether intentionally or not, labels them as irrational and dismisses their concerns. If you are unsure why someone is saying "hoax", better to ask than assume.

To be clear, there are people who argue the virus has never been isolated and thus no evidence for it exists. Those people are fringe but they do exist. However, there is seemingly a larger number of people who simply accept the existence of this virus but view it as an excuse for government to be erode freedom and act tyrannical, so that is the "hoax" for many people, and they come from all walks of life. It's not a matter of the virus being fake, despite the accusations from those lacking a listening ear.

There are many other grievances people have around this topic, such as those who've lost loved ones having to endure others telling them it's all fake. I am just highlighting this particular grievance. At any rate, we need more understanding and compassion across the board and I think we'd all agree on that.

Nothing more needs to be said.

21 minutes ago, lenny said:

Lol.

Your self-assessment may not be accurate.

Hello newbie. You barely got any posts under your belt and this is what you decided to write in this thread?

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Because not too many people have a high IQ like you and I brother. We consume the things around us like the rest of the population but we don't allow ourselves to get manipulated by it. We can decipher fact from agenda, and the fact we do our own research allows us to see greater truths, and when those truths are preached to the ignorant, you will notice how they react like children. The end result unfortunately results in us staying silent during future conversations with those very same people.

No denying that.

The moment you get emotional brother, is the moment you lose a conversation. Remember these words for next time. Pause, take the emotion out of it and then respond. You will thank me many years from now.

Somebody that steals from their grandparents is a despicable human being. SpursFlu just engaged in some banter and ribbing of his fellow man. Nothing too audacious. 

Nothing more needs to be said.

Hello newbie. You barely got any posts under your belt and this is what you decided to write in this thread?

High IQ 🤣

23 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Anyone think Buchanan could move inside and slot beside Baldisimo?  That could solve our weakness in midfield. 

Not that I don't think he could do it, but I would consider Tabla here before Buchanan. His directness out wide is not something I want us to give up. Conversely, Tabla has excellent close control and pretty decent vision, so he'd be my choice if I had to choose between the two.

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are a lot of "hoaxes" one could say, associated with the policies adopted by both various levels of government in Canada (and elsewhere) and in the private sector too (businesses and other organizations).

The first of these is the blanket, "wear a mask" statements and the selling of masks as if all of them were created equal. This video from CBC Marketplace is a 7½ minutes of your life well spent. 

Why the above information must be searched for and isn't the basis for widespread government messaging and protocol on masks is ridiculous. 

I'd rather deal with the "non-masked denier" who you can spot from a distance than the dude who walks around with his thin bandana and pretends he is the champion of our public health regulations and compliance.

EDIT:

This should also be part of the CSA's policies. Players flying in from around the globe to OQ or WCQ should be wearing proper masks and well fitted. We want to make sure that we are minimizing the chance they catch COVID on those grueling long-haul flights.

While we are on the topic and the thread is already derailed, let's get into a second "hoax", the idea that 1) We can disinfect our way to safety 2) That crowded cities are inherently more dangerous.

1. We are under-emphasizing not only the benefit of wearing a quality mask (and wearing it properly!) while at the same time over-emphasizing the benefit of disinfecting products of all kind. COVID19 is airborne. Yes, keep washing your hands but disinfecting every surface won't save you if you keep going around without a quality mask on.

2. Famously crowed Japan with 126 million people has had fewer than ½ a million COVID19 cases, whereas we in Canada with only 38 million people, have had more than double the number of cases! It's because Japanese are wearing their masks, wearing them properly and shutting the fuck up. All it takes is some collective self-disciple.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

...accept the existence of this virus but view it as an excuse for government to be erode freedom and act tyrannical, so that is the "hoax" for many people, and they come from all walks of life. It's not a matter of the virus being fake, despite the accusations from those lacking a listening ear.

This is a legitimate concern...

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Because not too many people have a high IQ like you and I brother. We consume the things around us like the rest of the population but we don't allow ourselves to get manipulated by it. We can decipher fact from agenda, and the fact we do our own research

What are your facts @Macksam because here are mine:

The fact is that we have a highly contagious virus, that is deadly or debilitating. Not to most people, but to an unacceptably large percentage of the population.

Unfortunately, collectively, people are not acting responsibly as individuals and therefore COVID19 is spreading.

A person who gets on the bus and sits beside me and decides to take off their masks for their loud phone call (true story btw!) is not simply endangering themselves, they are endangering others.
A person who goes to a private mask-less party with one group of friends and then goes to another party with another group of friends is not simply endangering themselves, they are endangering others.
The externalities to these reckless actions are huge.

The value of "personal responsibility" the paragon of conservative thought and a necessity for widespread freedom in a civilized society seems to be severely lacking among the general population.

So clueless governments are desperate to keep cases low so they resort to everything and anything. Random shit.
The best example of this is the egregious and highly inconvenient curfew imposed by the provincial government in Quebec. I really hate that curfew. I really fucking hate it.
Objectively it won't stop the spread of COVID and is a limit on my personal freedom. Terrible for the responsible citizen. ( @Obinna 's point).

Yet it is so highly inconvenient that it will stop people from doing things at night; whether these things are reckless or not.

Therefore responsible "individual freedom cherishing" people like myself are in a way the victims of the reckless and belligerent behaviour of others. Another externality. 

These "reckless, belligerent or perhaps simply idiotic" people can be found all over society and there are too many of them to prevent the spread of COVID despite a majority of the population acting responsibly.

Even many of our elected officials are behaving terribly (left wing and right wing) and are a part of this "reckless, belligerent or perhaps simply idiotic" group.

Here is Mario Simard, Alexis Brunelle-Duceppe and leader Yves-François Blanchet, three MPs of the Bloc Québécois meeting in a crowded restaurant with a big group of strangers on September 1st 2020.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEnLPhWHjOG/

Then, 18 days later, the media announces that Yves-François Blanchet tested positive for COVID:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bloc-leader-yves-francois-blanchet-tests-positive-for-covid-19-1.5110606

Mario Simard never even bothered to delete the Instagram picture after the fact! What a bunch of fucking idiots!

Then you have Ontario Conservative MPPs like 

Sam Oosterhoff who met with a big group of people at a banquet without masks:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/this-is-astounding-doctor-slams-ontario-mpp-who-posed-for-photo-with-big-group-maskless-1.5162582

Randy Hillier who has been mask shaming people:
https://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/10340090-mpp-randy-hillier-encourages-shaming-people-who-wear-masks/

What a bunch of fucking idiots!

So my conclusion is, with so much stupid still going around, governments have been putting us on time out with lockdowns, curfews and restrictions, like a whole grade 6 class getting detention because 4 kids at the back were acting crazy. However the teacher can't pinpoint exactly which 4 kids were the ones acting out because he or she were staring at the board and had their back turned. So the teacher is at his or her wit's end and having a panic attack, so we all get detention because of those 4 class clowns.

That's my take.

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Facts on what? I am just talking about things in general, not necessarily COVID19. 

Fair enough. If you don't agree with my take on our COVID19 response, please let me know.

If you're not referring to COVID19 in that post then what are you alluding too? Feel free to share your "high IQ" take on some other subject on which @Obinna and yourself would agree but yet the rest of us mere mortals would find offensive.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

2. Famously crowed Japan with 126 million people has had fewer than ½ a million COVID19 cases, whereas we in Canada with only 38 million people, have had more than double the number of cases! It's because Japanese are wearing their masks, wearing them properly and shutting the fuck up. All it takes is some collective self-disciple.

Japan has a culture around wearing masks that is lacking in North America. However, I wouldn't attribute the lower cases to this factor alone.

The Japanese are ahead of Canada because they have been dealing with these coronavirus type illnesses for much longer than us. While Canadian kids can expect a few snow days a year, Japanese kids miss a few days a year from school closures due to influenza. The masks help, but it is actually the overall attitude towards viruses you should credit, not specifically the masks.

The Canadian approach is to stomp this virus out of existence by any means necessary, so we force the public into radical change and say we're in this together.

Meanwhile, the Japanese simply made some relatively minor tweaks to everyday life. In Sweden they basically never had closures at all, yet they are no worse off. In fact, both countries rank above Canada in the misery index, which tracks how well countries have dealt with the pandemic. Sweden was 4th and Japan was 5th, meanwhile Canada didn't even make the top 10. Even the United States ranked better.

https://www.macdonaldlaurier.ca/covid-misery-index

Edited by Obinna

On 3/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, JasonDias said:

I can confirm 

- Mauro likes Lucas, but his system is quite different than what Sporting would play.

Interesting point that suggests we won't be going with a "10" role like many of our lineup guesses are assuming. So I assume a 4-3-3, or less likely 4-2-2-2, which use two "8" roles instead (with one more attacking but not a free 10 really).

This helps to guess lineups.. my current favourite would then be (4-3-3):

Twardek-Bair-Buchanan

Raposo-Baldi-Dias

Bassong-Cornelius-Montgomery-ZBG

Pantemis

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In Sweden they basically never had closures at all, yet they are no worse off. In fact, both countries rank above Canada in the misery index, which tracks how well countries have dealt with the pandemic.

Sweden? Sweden has done far worse with Covid than neighbouring countries. Surely you are thinking of somewhere else.

Sweden is the prime example of what not to do, and how many extra were killed unnecessarily.
image.png.56c3236a34d4b33aab20da19031daf2b.png

You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson after the disaster during their first wave. Their overall death rate is about 10 times higher than neighbouring Finland and Norway, with over 13,000 dead. That's well over 10,000 that didn't need to die.

image.png.0688a3c9275111bcde79e28003f4f302.png

Not sure why we need to discuss this here. But let's not tout Sweden as a good example. They've screwed up far worse than even Quebec, Ontario, and the western provinces.

Edited by nfitz

22 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Sweden? Sweden has done far worse with Covid than neighbouring countries. Surely you are thinking of somewhere else.

Sweden is the prime example of what not to do, and how many extra were killed unnecessarily.
image.png.56c3236a34d4b33aab20da19031daf2b.png

You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson after the disaster during their first wave. Their overall death rate is about 10 times higher than neighbouring Finland and Norway, with over 13,000 dead. That's well over 10,000 that didn't need to die.

image.png.0688a3c9275111bcde79e28003f4f302.png

Not sure why we need to discuss this here. But let's not tout Sweden as a good example. They've screwed up far worse than even Quebec, Ontario, and the western provinces.

What do you make of them outperforming us on the Misery index?

Screenshot_20210313-182830_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Obinna

35 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Interesting point that suggests we won't be going with a "10" role like many of our lineup guesses are assuming. So I assume a 4-3-3, or less likely 4-2-2-2, which use two "8" roles instead (with one more attacking but not a free 10 really).

This helps to guess lineups.. my current favourite would then be (4-3-3):

Twardek-Bair-Buchanan

Raposo-Baldi-Dias

Bassong-Cornelius-Montgomery-ZBG

Pantemis

I think the midfield will need more defensive security so I'd swap Raposo with one of Norman/Metcalfe but other than that I think that's our strongest formation.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Screenshot_20210313-182830_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Christ my personal misery index is at an all time high with this continuing conversation. We get it some of you think Covid isn’t that problematic, or that different governments are handling it better. Isnt there a frickin thread for non football topics. Perhaps you fellows could move the debate over there. 

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Having never heard of a misery index before, it's never crossed my mind. And I can't read that text. Such a thing would require one put a value on human life. And if one priced life low enough, other factors would dominate. I suspect it would be a function on the motives of one who invented such a concept.

Though looking at economic indicators - Sweden doesn't seem to be doing significantly different than us. Unemployment was similar in the 2010s ... and is similar now. Economy contracted less, but growth this year in Sweden is half of what it is in Canada, with little net effect.

I suspect we'd be a little less miserable if we'd had some harsher restrictions at times. I don't get any impression that people are more miserable in the Maritimes with their harsher restrictions, but almost no deaths. 

Edited by nfitz