Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

13 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

the reality is that he is Portuguese, I don’t think anyone can debate that. He’s spent how much time there ? Was born there right ? I think we’re all happy that he’s willing to show up and play. Flores could have done so if it didn’t require a stint, this is a great trial chance for him. No one loses here even if he ultimately doesn’t come back

Born in Canada, lived here until 11. But yes, he's pretty much lived his whole teenage life in Portugal now. He's pretty much Portuguese haha

The kid has gotten direct training and advice from Ronaldo. You ain't going to get a better ambassador than that haha

Edited by JasonDias

40 minutes ago, El Diego said:

From a practical standpoint I don't understand why a guy can't get a test done and if he passes be allowed to go, which from my understanding is basically what happened with the previously mentioned Muller/Bayern incident. Like a couple guys pointed out, not sure who is pulling the strings.

Even if the players did this perhaps the timing was too tight for the CSA.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even if the players did this perhaps the timing was too tight for the CSA.

The problem is with the tiny roster sizes. I doubt Biello wanted to risk 1 (or more) of 17 outfield spots on players that may not actually be able to join the team.

CONCACAF should've made the rosters 23 players, or even 25, for this tournament given what's going on in the world. If teams don't want to fill all 23-25 spots that's their prerogative, but I'm sure Biello would've loved to put Fraser, Priso, Nelson, etc. on the squad without worrying about whether he's throwing away spots.

28 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Really though? There's a good chance Breza never plays for Bologna. He's their 4th GK. No one was really following this, but they had a situation a few months ago where there first 2 GK's were out, and their third was on a yellow card, and Breza still didn't play. He hasn't played outside of Serie C.

Pantemis was adequate when he got his chance, Breza might not appear in a professional match for the next 3 years for all we know.

He’s been on their bench, he’s more of their 3rd goalie. He’s training against Serie A players every day. I’m sorry I’ll take that over CPL players any day 

28 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Being us based right now has so many advantages, travel, training, form, ability to stay in shape, quarantine rules etc. 

The guy has not played a competitive game since 2019 for Pacific , I guess he must be really that good to be picked after not playing for so long . Could not get a game with Inter Miami so what does that say ? We need to stop picking player who are not playing or getting game time. We have gotten over picking guys from Unattached  FC it’s time we stop picking players who have not seen the field in almost two years!

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

The guy has not played a competitive game since 2019 for Pacific , I guess he must be really that good to be picked after not playing for so long . Could not get a game with Inter Miami so what does that say ? We need to stop picking player who are not playing or getting game time. We have gotten over picking guys from Unattached  FC it’s time we stop picking players who have not seen the field in almost two years!

I tend to agree but who were the alternatives at CM ??? 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Lol who the hell cares right now about 2024 , it’s always don’t worry the next cycle we will be amazing lol , same shit different cycle, unfortunately this is a very very weak squad but it’s Canada soccer why am I not surprised!

I'm talking more from their perspectives. I'm sure they're sad they couldn't be a part of this.

7 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

So, you don't know any alternative options, but have spent the last couple of hours bitching about the selection? FFS, go soak your head, mate. 🙄

Not my job mate ! What’s the CPL for ? A guy gets picked who hasn’t played since 2019 mate ! Is this federation that desperate , it’s 2021 not 1991 get players who actually have been playing  mate!

Edited by SoccMan

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Not my job mate ! What’s the CPL for ? A guy gets picked who hasn’t played since 2019 mate ! Is this federation that desperate , it’s 2021 not 1991 get players who actually have been playing  mate!

You're embarrassing yourself, mate. Take a break.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

And to think that at one point I thought the release of actual news would stop us from in-fighting and name calling.  

Today has renewed my faith in our capacity to endlessly bicker. 

If there's one thing we do well here is pointlessly argue with eachother. It's a staple of this forum!

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

You come on here and antagonize me “ go soak your hade mate” ? I need to take a break because I’m embarrassing myself really? 

Yes. That's right. You ARE embarrassing yourself (assuming that you have capacity for shame) and need to take a break.

If you want to shit on one of our young players, at least have the decency to offer an actual alternative who's better and available for this tournament. Otherwise, you're just some knobhead on the internet crying just to make a spectacle of yourself.

The Norman Jr inclusion for me is just #s.  You could only include so many DMs/CMs on 50 man.  TFC's covid took away Fraser, Okello, Priso.  Someone on twitter told me Shome has an ankle injury.  Norman Jr is a well-regarded prospect who may well have got minutes in MLS except for the injury.  And you need to put someone with some physicality and size and a strong defensive presence next to Baldi who will do most of the ballhandling.

Funny thing is in terms of pro experience this is probably our best roster ever, it just could have been even better if not for covid issues.  Then again the Americans could have been stronger too.

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Lmao we have a thread full of people questioning who to call up and one guy says "I don't agree with calling up the guy who hasn't played all year" and people lose their minds

"I don't know of a single player who might be better, but I just don't want THAT guy," is not a valid argument, though, is it?

And, while DNJ did not get any games in 2020, it's not like he spent the last year sitting on his couch and eating Cheetos. He's been training with a professional team every day. It's not ideal to select a player who's not had games in a while, but if you want to bitch about it, you need to be able to offer up a better alternative.