Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

11 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Baldisimo strikes me as similar to Liam Fraser in that they both have a wonderful ability to hit a pass which looks pretty and is a joy to watch..  They also both have limitations when they get pressured. Baldisimo's not the biggest and wasn't getting the protection to get off those passes and doesn't have the dribbling to get out tight situations. Fraser's a little slow and doesn't make up for it with positioning.  

I think this is the most accurate description of them. With Baldi in the squad Fraser was pretty much the TFC player I was least concerned to be missing out on

13 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Fraser's a little slow and doesn't make up for it with positioning.  

I'm not convinced that a preseason Fraser would have been that much of an upgrade in the Guadalajara climate and altitude.  

I hope Fraser finally gets his due under Armas.  And I really liked what I saw of Baldi last season but I am not sure he will get the minutes this year with the Caps to solidfy his break out.  

I mean Davies probably doesn't show up regardless, but if we're not fucking around with the minnows, we probably have St. Clair, Kamal Miller, Sturring, Gutierrez, Liam Miller, Corbeanu, Nelson and friends who make a big difference. Not to mention Herdman at the whelm.

I know I'm not new here, although my first thread was how a Canadian league backed by CFL would succeed (go check it, for real). That said, CONCACAF makes no fucking sense. Half the members have a population of less than 100,000. Let these guys play a minnow round to join the real countries in a proper qualifying. 

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

That said, CONCACAF makes no fucking sense. Half the members have a population of less than 100,000. Let these guys play a minnow round to join the real countries in a proper qualifying. 

The entire point of the current WCQ format was to allow them more meaningful matches. By my count 6 countries are already eliminated after 2 matches 

Edited by narduch

I agree with Obinna, and it's opportunity mostly for long-term payoff, not short-term really.  I suppose lightning could strike and Turks and Caicos could have an epic performance and beat Haiti, but more likely the long-term effect is that some scout watching the Canada-Cayman game sees a Cayman guy pull off a backheel nutmeg on Davies, and that guy gets a shot somewhere in Europe in a lower league which then opens the door to more opportunity.  The more that happens, the more players with professional experience come back to "float all boats" as they say. 

If the minnows all have a tournament just playing each other, the same eyes (or at least the same number of eyes) won't be on those games, and nor would a performance give you an idea of what a young guy from Turks and Caicos or Cayman might be able to do against decent opposition.  It's not great prep for us to play these games in the short term (other than making sure we are playing in every FIFA window and not idle), but long term if CONCACAF becomes stronger, we all have to raise our game.

• 7 months later...

So this hypotheically could have been our Olympic squad this year. I had to get a little creative to fit all the attacking talent. A little bit light in the midfield. This also doesnt include any overage players.

This team would have dominated 3rd place Mexico. Not sure how it compares against 1st Brazil or 2nd Spain, but I wouldnt be terrified of them.

LINEUP111636132055923.png

Also leaves a bench options of

GK: St. Clair, Breza, Hasal 

DF: Sturing, Godinho, Gutierrez, Bassong, Halbouni, Twardek

M: Paton, Okello, Baldisimo, Choiniere, Priso, Metcalfe, Raposo, Dias, Shaffelburg 

FW: Corbeanu, Akinola, Bair

Edited by Stryker911

53 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So this could have been our Olympic squad. I had to get a little creative to fit all the attacking talent. A little bit light in the midfield. This also doesnt include any overage players.

LINEUP111636132055923.png

Yeah that team could’ve been pretty awesome if we made it to the Olympics. Add in Hutch, Eustaquio, Vitoria (?) as overagers and that team is outstanding.