Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Since we are now full on talking about this now, I have a question. Why is it that whenever somebody utters the word "hoax" we assume it's a denial the virus is real? 

Because the term it attributed to Donald Trump. And thru the media and pop culture anything that ever came out of his mouth is considered wrong or backwards in the eyes of a large portion of people in our culture. This has been by design and has been one of the biggest issues when reasonably trying to discuss or deal with this issue this past year. Luckily he is gone now and you are starting to see voices starting to be considered and heard. I personally wouldn't use the term hoax but someone else did and it for the most part some it up. Maybe weaponized, politicized, exaggerated, misconstrued or manipulated is a little more appropriate 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Because the term it attributed to Donald Trump. Ant thru the media and pop culture anything that ever came out of his mouth is wrong or backwards in the eyes of a large portion of people in our culture. This has been by design and has been one of the biggest issues when reasonably trying to discuss or deal with this issue this past year

Whether it's by design or not is debatable, but there's not much argument about the perception that everything he says is wrong or backwards.

Whether or not it actually is wrong or backwards is obviously where you get disagreement.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Since we are now full on talking about this now, I have a question. Why is it that whenever somebody utters the word "hoax" we assume it's a denial the virus is real? 

There are a lot of "hoaxes" one could say, associated with the policies adopted by both various levels of government in Canada (and elsewhere) and in the private sector too (businesses and other organizations).

The first of these is the blanket, "wear a mask" statements and the selling of masks as if all of them were created equal. This video from CBC Marketplace is a 7½ minutes of your life well spent. 

Why the above information must be searched for and isn't the basis for widespread government messaging and protocol on masks is ridiculous. 

I'd rather deal with the "non-masked denier" who you can spot from a distance than the dude who walks around with his thin bandana and pretends he is the champion of our public health regulations and compliance.

EDIT:

This should also be part of the CSA's policies. Players flying in from around the globe to OQ or WCQ should be wearing proper masks and well fitted. We want to make sure that we are minimizing the chance they catch COVID on those grueling long-haul flights.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Whether it's by design or not is debatable, but there's not much argument about the perception that everything he says is wrong or backwards.

Whether or not it actually is wrong or backwards is obviously where you get disagreement.

I think its safe to say that the media and the forces behind pop culture rightly or wrongly were on a constant full court press to discredit anything that came out of his mouth. Thats just the way it was, for whatever reason

On 3/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, JasonDias said:

Inside scoop from mexico... (but we should wait to see if CSA/Mauro makes an official announcement)

One player tested positive (he's being retested to see if it was a false). He was at least within close contact on the connecting flight over to Mexico with 3 other players - who have tested negative but now having to extend their quarentine.

I won't name anyone.

When I see this thread bolded I wish it had an update to this bombshell.

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are a lot of "hoaxes" one could say, associated with the policies adopted by both various levels of government in Canada (and elsewhere) and in the private sector too (businesses and other organizations).

The first of these is the blanket, "wear a mask" statements and the selling of masks as if all of them were created equal. This video from CBC Marketplace is a 7½ minutes of your life well spent. 

Why the above information must be searched for and isn't the basis for widespread government messaging and protocol on masks is ridiculous. 

I'd rather deal with the "non-masked denier" who you can spot from a distance than the dude who walks around with his thin bandana and pretends he is the champion of our public health regulations and compliance.

EDIT:

This should also be part of the CSA's policies. Players flying in from around the globe to OQ or WCQ should be wearing proper masks and well fitted. We want to make sure that we are minimizing the chance they catch COVID on those grueling long-haul flights.

Dude 1 guy showed up to soccer this morning wearing a mask. We harassed him and made fun of him so bad it was gone in 5 minutes

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its safe to say that the media and the forces behind pop culture rightly or wrongly were on a constant full court press to discredit anything that came out of his mouth. Thats just the way it was, for whatever reason

Let's stop talking about the media and pop culture and please tell us flat out the facts as you see them (with any sources or links you wish to provide).  Now is your chance to enthrall me with your acumen.

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Dude 1 guy showed up to soccer this morning wearing a mask. We harassed him and made fun of him so bad it was gone in 5 minutes

A fascinating non sequitur.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not a moron and I think its a hoax. You can be rude as you like but trust me  I'm not alone. I guess the real challenge is for us to not hate each other since we occupy the same communities and have shared interests 

33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Seems like you failed your own "challenge" at the first hurdle.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

EDIT:

Doesn't really answer my question, but some interesting points. I agree that agreed upon standards of masks would go a long way. Not the first thing I think about when I hear "hoax", but I am sympathetic to your complaints around that.

There is no shortage of disagreement when it comes to this stuff, but it's important we talk to each other civilly, like I am trying to do right now, so we can at least understand the disagreements. That's the first step in not making enemies out of each other.

To that end, a very common misunderstanding I see that creates much unnecessary frustration is the idea that "hoax" equals "virus denial". This alienates many rational people from the conversation. Assuming these people are virus deniers, whether intentionally or not, labels them as irrational and dismisses their concerns. If you are unsure why someone is saying "hoax", better to ask than assume.

To be clear, there are people who argue the virus has never been isolated and thus no evidence for it exists. Those people are fringe but they do exist. However, there is seemingly a larger number of people who simply accept the existence of this virus but view it as an excuse for government to be erode freedom and act tyrannical, so that is the "hoax" for many people, and they come from all walks of life. It's not a matter of the virus being fake, despite the accusations from those lacking a listening ear.

There are many other grievances people have around this topic, such as those who've lost loved ones having to endure others telling them it's all fake. I am just highlighting this particular grievance. At any rate, we need more understanding and compassion across the board and I think we'd all agree on that.

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Doesn't really answer my question, but some interesting points. I agree that agreed upon standards of masks would go a long way. Not the first thing I think about when I hear "hoax", but I am sympathetic to your complaints around that.

There is no shortage of disagreement when it comes to this stuff, but it's important we talk to each other civilly, like I am trying to do right now, so we can at least understand the disagreements. That's the first step in not making enemies out of each other.

To that end, a very common misunderstanding I see that creates much unnecessary frustration is the idea that "hoax" equals "virus denial". This alienates many rational people from the conversation. Assuming these people are virus deniers, whether intentionally or not, labels them as irrational and dismisses their concerns. If you are unsure why someone is saying "hoax", better to ask than assume.

To be clear, there are people who argue the virus has never been isolated and thus no evidence for it exists. Those people are fringe but they do exist. However, there is seemingly a larger number of people who simply accept the existence of this virus but view it as an excuse for government to be erode freedom and act tyrannical, so that is the "hoax" for many people, and they come from all walks of life. It's not a matter of the virus being fake, despite the accusations from those lacking a listening ear.

There are many other grievances people have around this topic, such as those who've lost loved ones having to endure others telling them it's all fake. I am just highlighting this particular grievance. At any rate, we need more understanding and compassion across the board and I think we'd all agree on that.

Sorry...I'm lumping you in with SpursFlu on this...and you can take your faux civility in whichever of your body cavities you prefer. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The onus is on the person declaring a hoax to elaborate on said declaration, lest he be considered a virus denier.

Olympic Roster Discussion this week on the Beer and Footy Podcast: The Despair and The Dream

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/8132730

WARNING: Contains reference to recent traumatic events which may cause flashbacks in long time Canadian soccer fans

Trying to make the best of this group of players:

Alejandro's Team: 4-2-3-1

-----------Brym-----

Twardek-----Dias---Buchanan-

----Baldisimo-- Metcalfe-----

Bassong------------Brault-Guillard

---Cornelius------TMG-----

-----------Pantemis---------

Kyle's Team: 4-3-3

-----Brym---Bair---Ballou--------

Raposo---------------Dias---

---------Baldisimo------

Twardek-------------Buchanan

----Cornelius--Montgomery---

----------Noguiera----------

12 minutes ago, Beer and Footy said:

Olympic Roster Discussion this week on the Beer and Footy Podcast: The Despair and The Dream

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/8132730

WARNING: Contains reference to recent traumatic events which may cause flashbacks in long time Canadian soccer fans

Trying to make the best of this group of players:

Alejandro's Team: 4-2-3-1

-----------Brym-----

Twardek-----Dias---Buchanan-

----Baldisimo-- Metcalfe-----

Bassong------------Brault-Guillard

---Cornelius------TMG-----

-----------Pantemis---------

Kyle's Team: 4-3-3

-----Brym---Bair---Ballou--------

Raposo---------------Dias---

---------Baldisimo------

Twardek-------------Buchanan

----Cornelius--Montgomery---

----------Noguiera----------

Twardek as a LB strikes me as unusual.

Honestly I don’t feel like it’s doom and gloom.  People need to stop with the PTSD! Look we have an MLS coach( when was the last time we actually had a real coach coaching a Youth team for Canada? , Also he was pretty successful, we have some talent on the team. Yes there are some ? But I faith. The Americans Costa Rica and Mexico are basically going to fight it out and we’re going to have to only play one of them in a playoff where anything can happen. We got Ballou , ZGB, Bassong , Buchanan, Brym and Bair and Cornelius, All have talent !! Also the X factor is Dais Who could come out flying and surprise everybody. Also all three talented goalies are going to fight it out for that number one spot and  I think we’re going to do just fine. 

Edited by SpecialK