Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

3 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Forward Juan Macias 38 goals in 88 Liga MX games with Guadalajara and Leon and 4 goals in 5 senior Mexican caps.  Also had 11 goals in 10 games for Mexican u20s 

Those are great stats in any league never mind a good league like Liga Mex,  even if we were able to have our strongest squad and everyone else had they strongest squad it would still be hard for us to get the top two spots to qualify, it is what it is .

I feel like Kris Twardek could be big this tournament. A lot of our players haven't played a competitive match in months and while he's mostly played garbage minutes off the bench he has played the full 90 in the last 2 games. Could be one of his last chances to play for us as well if his career path doesn't improve especially with our current strength in his position.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Those are Cavallini Liga MX numbers, and David international numbers. What a stud. No forward on the USA roster comes close to that, much less our own team.

This is why I push back sometimes when people get a big d*ick for the future of the USA program, suggesting they will relegate Mexico to no. 2 in the region. Not saying it won't happen, just saying it's not a given...

I agree but they have  been able to beat them is some very key games and even in a very big round of 16 game in the World Cup a few World Cups ago, but ya it’s hard to compete with the depth the Mexican’s have and that’s due to the fact they have a pretty good league and it also helps that soccer is the main sport there . I think it’s like the way hockey is between us and the US sure they can beat us from time to time but in the end I just don’t see them becoming a stronger hockey country than us anytime soon, they are close but  I think we are still stronger. They don’t have our Major Junior Hockey league which still just pumps out talent year in year out . Soccer is still a religion in Mexico but not in the US, that helps in the end it’s hard to compete against that.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I feel like Kris Twardek could be big this tournament. A lot of our players haven't played a competitive match in months and while he's mostly played garbage minutes off the bench he has played the full 90 in the last 2 games. Could be one of his last chances to play for us as well if his career path doesn't improve especially with our current strength in his position.

I rather be surprised than say this. The times I've seen Twardek he was trying to out run and out muscle the opponents as at the time he was significantly bigger. 

However you are right, he could be a pleasant surprise.

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Mexico squad is all domestic 

It's a stacked team. Only missing a couple of players who may have been held back for senior team friendlies. Very good breadth of senior national team experience and club team experience. A bit light on CBs and defensive mids but have 3 #10s.

They will only stumble due to overconfidence as Mexican fans are already discussing what medal they'll win at the Olympics - especially with Euros happening, clubs won't be allowing players to be in both. 

Edited by red card

4 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I agree but they have  been able to beat them is some very key games and even in a very big round of 16 game in the World Cup a few World Cups ago, but ya it’s hard to compete with the depth the Mexican’s have and that’s due to the fact they have a pretty good league and it also helps that soccer is the main sport there . I think it’s like the way hockey is between us and the US sure they can beat us from time to time but in the end I just don’t see them becoming a stronger hockey country than us anytime soon, they are close but  I think we are still stronger. They don’t have our Major Junior Hockey league which still just pumps out talent year in year out . Soccer is still a religion in Mexico but not in the US, that helps in the end it’s hard to compete against that.

The way Mexicans treat soccer is the same way we treat Hockey.... they just seem to breath and live soccer more passionately than the Americans, just as us with Hockey... its more personal, more of a big deal. It's not something you can teach. Its why I think Mexico will always be a top dog in the region, even if they only fielded 100% domestic teams (which would still be pretty competitive), their players have a certain grit about them that American players just don't seem to have, sort of like a chip on their shoulders since soccer was *their* sport first sort of thing.

Saw a post earlier talking about squad values. Decided to look up each roster via Transfermarkt.

Here are the results

Teams Based On Squad Values 

Mexico 80.85M 

USA 30.72 M

Costa Rica 10.4 M

Canada 7.81 M

Honduras 2.94 M

El Salvador 0.96 M

Haiti 0.87 M

Dominican Republic 0.22 M

Top Players From Each Squad Based On Value 

José Juan Macías (MEX) 11 M

Djordje Mihailovic (USA) 4.4 M

Randall Leal (CRC) 3.3 M

Tajon Buchanan (CAN) 2.2 M

Douglas Martínez (HON) 660 Th

José Portillo (ELS) 330 Th

Djimy Alexis (HAI) 275 Th

Dorny Romero (DR) 220 Th

2 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Saw a post earlier talking about squad values. Decided to look up each roster via Transfermarkt.

Here are the results

Mexico 80.85M 

USA 30.72 M

Costa Rica 10.4 M

Canada 7.81 M

Honduras 2.94 M

El Salvador 0.96 M

Haiti 0.87 M

Randall Leal (CRC) 3.3 M

Dorny Romero (DR) 220 Th

Djordie is overvalued.

Man if we beat Mexico imagine the heads that will be chopped off in that federation.

7 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Here are the results

Mexico 80.85M 

USA 30.72 M

Costa Rica 10.4 M

Canada 7.81 M

Honduras 2.94 M

El Salvador 0.96 M

Haiti 0.87 M

Randall Leal (CRC) 3.3 M

Dorny Romero (DR) 220 Th

Out of curiosity, does costa rica have pretty much its full compliment of U24 players at this tournament?  And if not, how are they missing?

46 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Inside scoop from mexico... (but we should wait to see if CSA/Mauro makes an official announcement)

One player tested positive (he's being retested to see if it was a false). He was at least within close contact on the connecting flight over to Mexico with 3 other players - who have tested negative but now having to extend their quarentine.

I won't name anyone.

Oh fuck 

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

Inside scoop from mexico... (but we should wait to see if CSA/Mauro makes an official announcement)

One player tested positive (he's being retested to see if it was a false). He was at least within close contact on the connecting flight over to Mexico with 3 other players - who have tested negative but now having to extend their quarentine.

I won't name anyone.

Thanks @JasonDias.  Honestly, can't say I'm surprised.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

I gotta say, it's pretty dumb that roster sizes remained at 20 even though they new that the pandemic could affect it. 

I get they do 20 man squads for all youth tournaments, but this one considering several factors could've been a logical anomaly. 

I’m not surprised sometimes some of these decisions that some of these soccer bodies make leave you scratching your head. There is a bloody pandemic going on but yet these idiots still go with these small roster sizes , I think it’s even smaller like 18 when they get to Tokyo, what kind of drugs are these people on ?