Gold Cup 2019

This is way more about Mexican soccer than about the Gold Cup, but I still found this an interesting watch.

They only barely mentioned the Gold Cup, but the supporter they talked to hit the nail on the head (just after the 9 minute mark). "There's no point to the tournament. It's the only one that is played every two years, the only one that's always in the same country, so instead of being an important tournament I think it's more about business than it being a real competition."

Now of course, from a Canadian standpoint, there is a point to the tournament, but the rest is still all true (and he's right from a Mexican standpoint that there is no point for them).

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

LOL I wish .... I’m happy with both them just my view Leutwiler over Max as of right now. But you have  admit  there’s a crazy MLS  player bias / bubble on here. 

No...I don't think most people on here base their decisions on strictly ranking the leagues like you do. There is no way Leutwiler is ahead of Crepeau at this time...it's not even close and that is based purely on form. And no...no one has to admit anything of the like because if that were the case people would be calling for an all MLS starting lineup or something similarly ridiculous but spin it whatever way you prefer I guess.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I’m taking the guy that’s played a lot and who is a solid goalie, ya Crepeau is the future for sure if he keeps it up. But only 17 games in MLS. 

Ya I’m all for European players and more people should be. This MLS bubble is crazy! yes it has  gotten better but let’s be real here is not even top 10 in the world. Man it’s crazy to think people on here are picking Kaye over Arfield or Piette over Hutchinson or Eustáquio, I even saw on here once  Crepeau should the number 1 GK, man that weed’s gonna be some good stuff. Also People on here were calling for some CPL players should been called up - like what ! 

249EA259-368E-484C-8CD4-DDEA7643DE0D.jpeg

Your arguments are baseless, and just downright stupid. I personally like Jayson a lot and if while in training Herdman see's his quality as superior to Max's then thats good for me and vice-versa.
You overrate players playing in europe, Costa Rica had a team with many domestics and are very competitive vs European opposition. Ecuador, Peru, Honduras, are the same. If a player is in a big european league then yes that player is most likely a starter for us and other nations in our realm. But please continue with your delusions.

Edited by Ivanovski94

2 hours ago, aloyol said:

But we are speaking about goalkeeping here. Borjan isn't running 10 miles per game, so not sure why he would need a rest.

I would argue that in most tournaments I've followed over the years (WC, Euro or GC), I don't remember seeing a back up keeper playing in a game  where his team needed a result unless the starting keeper was injured or suspended. Rotating field players is one thing, rotating your keepers in such tournaments is unseen or very rare in soccer.

I would also add that the difference between Milan and Max is an important one in term of quality/experience.

Very true but Mexico had done this with Ochoa & Corona for years.  Maybe even at the World Cup if I can remember?

FYI - I am in agreement Borjan plays every game this tournament if fit.  I would love to give other goalies more opportunities but it should be in friendlies.  At least until Crepeau or Leutwiler are more established with our program.

26 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Your arguments are baseless, and just downright stupid. I personally like Jayson a lot and if while in training Herdman see's his quality as superior to Max's then thats good for me and vice-versa.
You overrate players playing in europe, Costa Rica had a team with many domestics and are very competitive vs European opposition. Ecuador, Peru, Honduras, are the same. If a player is in a big european league then yes that player is most likely a starter for us and other nations in our realm. But please continue with your delusions.

Tell me who have I overrated ? 

Kaye - MLS Vs Arfield - Rangers and former  premier league player 

Piette MLS vs Eustáquio- CD Cruz Azul ( one biggest Mexican teams ) - former Liga Nos ( 1d  Portugal ) 

Hutch - we all know Hutch !

There is reason why Europe has the best leagues in the world cuz the world best are playing in them. 

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Tell me who have I overrated ? 

Kaye - MLS Vs Arfield - Rangers and former  premier league player 

Piette MLS vs Eustáquio- CD Cruz Azul ( one biggest Mexican teams ) - former Liga Nos ( 1d  Portugal ) 

Hutch - we all know Hutch !

There is reason why Europe has the best leagues in the world cuz the world best are playing in them. 

This is facile. Some players in MLS are better than some players in other, better leagues. And some that are worse overall might even fit a system better.

If anyone's in a bubble it's you and your prestige-fixated mindset. Happily for our sanity most soccer fans in North America have matured enough to recognize that MLS isn't on the level of the world's top leagues but at the same time that doesn't automatically make everyone playing in it garbage. A little case-by-case nuance and open-mindedness is required.

This Euro and Latinophilia sounds like an inferiority complex. Luckily guys like Herdman don't pick players based on whose team has a higher rating in FIFA.

1 minute ago, Lansdude said:

This is facile. Some players in MLS are better than some players in other, better leagues. And some that are worse overall might even fit a system better.

If anyone's in a bubble it's you and your prestige-fixated mindset. Happily for our sanity most soccer fans in North America have matured enough to recognize that MLS isn't on the level of the world's top leagues but at the same time that doesn't automatically make everyone playing in it garbage. A little case-by-case nuance and open-mindedness is required.

This Euro and Latinophilia sounds like an inferiority complex. Luckily guys like Herdman don't pick players based on whose team has a higher rating in FIFA.

I don’t care about other mls players , I’m talking about Canadian players 

46 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Curaçao are getting concacafed by El Salvador. Curaçao doesn't look half good as I thought they would be. There are slow and no creativity.

No VAR this tournament, as soon I heard that, I legit did a sarcastic LOL & eye roll.

Edited by apbsmith

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Very true but Mexico had done this with Ochoa & Corona for years.  Maybe even at the World Cup if I can remember?

FYI - I am in agreement Borjan plays every game this tournament if fit.  I would love to give other goalies more opportunities but it should be in friendlies.  At least until Crepeau or Leutwiler are more established with our program.

Corona has never played a WC game so Mexico never did this in a WC. 

Can you find a tournament where they did this? Maybe they can afflrd this in the GC....

Jamaica looked impressive, a good win against a pretty good Honduras side.  Curacao were very disappointing, they just didn't have any real creativity and that really was a must win match for them.  I thought Curacao may have ended up being a bit of a 'dark horse' this Gold Cup, I thought they may have beaten El Salvador and even get a surprise result  against Honduras.  They have a tough group, but sadly I can't really see them getting any points now.

While Mexico are the big favourites, teams like Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras & and even Canada (we will find out more tomorrow!) could give them a tough time.  The U.S. haven't been in the best form of late, so even if they top the group, they will likely face Jamaica or Honduras in the next round which will be difficult. 

I even went as far as putting a cheeky £1 on Curacao to win the Gold Cup (not exactly high stakes, but the returns would have been worth it and I can take a £1 hit).  So far I'm doing pretty good on my returns from the competition, largely helped by Jonathan David,  Dever Orgill, Costa Rica and the good number of goals so far! 

RE: GK situation

Goalkeeping is ALOT different than other positions on the field. Definitely Leutwiler is more experienced and arguably has played vs tougher competition, but Crepeau is in form and playing recently. Make no mistakes, Max is the #2 right now and going forward.

As far as going forward, BORJAN starts vs Mexico and we are playing for 3 points. Maybe you all missed the champions league this year but if anyone on this team is capable of stealing a game it's our keeper(see Liverpool game if not sure). Nevermind excuses of shaky defense(which we definitely have and it is a problem), I can easily see Milan frustrating the Mexicans and Cav banging one in.