Gold Cup 2019

Canada’s starting 11 ( my view ) vs Mexico

Piette was shaky at times and I think Hutch can do a better job. Also if Hutch is starting to tire easy switch. Hutch and Arfield are solid   Midfielders They can handle Mexico. 

Morgan should be LB- yes he hasn’t played but he’s a natural LB and he did play amazing 2 years ago again Mexican teams with TFC. 

ZBG vs Godinho - what a tough choice. ZBG should get the nod because of his speed. Also he’s been very good lately with the impact. Godinho at times looked good and at times looked bad.  Probably because of rust. 

I love the idea of David with Cavallini, Canada should just go all out attack  on Mexico. With our speed, grit and size, we can  cause so many problems for Mexico. 

If Henry can play - he should be playing ! I  I have a feeling he’ll be playing. 

It’s time to shock the football world !!! 

D104737A-9EDA-41B1-A4EE-6DBB4B6AFF5E.jpeg

Interesting watching the Group B games today.  Bermuda was surprisingly good.  They had a ton of great chances from open play in the first half and took the lead off a corner.  Haiti came back in the 2nd to win but Bermuda showed some game today.

Costa Rica featuring an ageing squad but they still look good (or maybe Nicaragua stinks)

6 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Interesting watching the Group B games today.  Bermuda was surprisingly good.  They had a ton of great chances from open play in the first half and took the lead off a corner.  Haiti came back in the 2nd to win but Bermuda showed some game today.

Costa Rica featuring an ageing squad but they still look good (or maybe Nicaragua stinks)

Costa Rica looks better than I thought they would. Very good shooting and solid with their passing. Nicaragua has been pretty disorganized though.

Jamaica and Honduras will be interesting.

19 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Canada’s starting 11 ( my view ) vs Mexico

Piette was shaky at times and I think Hutch can do a better job. Also if Hutch is starting to tire easy switch. Hutch and Arfield are solid   Midfielders They can handle Mexico. 

Morgan should be LB- yes he hasn’t played but he’s a natural LB and he did play amazing 2 years ago again Mexican teams with TFC. 

ZBG vs Godinho - what a tough choice. ZBG should get the nod because of his speed. Also he’s been very good lately with the impact. Godinho at times looked good and at times looked bad.  Probably because of rust. 

I love the idea of David with Cavallini, Canada should just go all out attack  on Mexico. With our speed, grit and size, we can  cause so many problems for Mexico. 

If Henry can play - he should be playing ! I  I have a feeling he’ll be playing. 

It’s time to shock the football world !!! 

D104737A-9EDA-41B1-A4EE-6DBB4B6AFF5E.jpeg

I like it, i think max gets the start and im not sure henry will be playing. Give kamal miller a shot if he cant play. 

19 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I like it, i think max gets the start and im not sure henry will be playing. Give kamal miller a shot if he cant play. 

Why would you put in the 3  string  GK against Mexico ??? 

I agree if Henry can’t play Miller should go

58 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Why would you put in the 3  string  GK against Mexico ??? 

Crépeau's #2 He was still getting call-ups during Nations League. Leutwiler wasn't. Leutwiler hasn't even played half of the matches in the past 2 years. Don't tell me oh he satrted the last 4 game of the year, since blackburn was a confortable midtable team. I don'T see what Leutwiler has done to be ahead of Crépeau. I think he was 2 years ago, but 2 years ago he was a starter in League One and Crépeau was a bac-up in MLS, now, Crépeau is a starter in MLS and he's a backup in the Championship.

14 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Crépeau's #2 He was still getting call-ups during Nations League. Leutwiler wasn't. Leutwiler hasn't even played half of the matches in the past 2 years. Don't tell me oh he satrted the last 4 game of the year, since blackburn was a confortable midtable team. I don'T see what Leutwiler has done to be ahead of Crépeau. I think he was 2 years ago, but 2 years ago he was a starter in League One and Crépeau was a bac-up in MLS, now, Crépeau is a starter in MLS and he's a backup in the Championship.

He’s the #2 cuz of his experience and he’s a solid goalie. Crepeau has been playing awesome but he’s 25 and doesn’t have states like Leutwiler.

72BC2C83-C588-498F-BBEA-23D607F3F669.jpeg

782C2C94-720F-470D-8AF6-4E753AC2A90F.jpeg

Just now, SpecialK said:

He’s the #2 cuz of his experience and he’s a solid goalie. Crepeau has been playing awesome but he’s 25 and doesn’t have states like Leutwiler.

72BC2C83-C588-498F-BBEA-23D607F3F669.jpeg

782C2C94-720F-470D-8AF6-4E753AC2A90F.jpeg

Experience at a really low level. I know how you like your European players, but he's been a starter in League One, League Two and in the Swiss second and third divisions. It's okay for experience, but it's not what would scream at me experience when Crépeau is actually playing right now. 

29 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Experience at a really low level. I know how you like your European players, but he's been a starter in League One, League Two and in the Swiss second and third divisions. It's okay for experience, but it's not what would scream at me experience when Crépeau is actually playing right now. 

I’m taking the guy that’s played a lot and who is a solid goalie, ya Crepeau is the future for sure if he keeps it up. But only 17 games in MLS. 

Ya I’m all for European players and more people should be. This MLS bubble is crazy! yes it has  gotten better but let’s be real here is not even top 10 in the world. Man it’s crazy to think people on here are picking Kaye over Arfield or Piette over Hutchinson or Eustáquio, I even saw on here once  Crepeau should the number 1 GK, man that weed’s gonna be some good stuff. Also People on here were calling for some CPL players should been called up - like what ! 

249EA259-368E-484C-8CD4-DDEA7643DE0D.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

Much as I like Leutwiler, hasnt he only played 10 games in the last 2 seasons?  Crepeau is on a pretty good run, continuing on from last year being the #1 keeper at Ottawa.  I dont think Herdman will get a lot of complaining from those in the know if he plays Crepeau against Cuba.  For Mexico lets not get too cagey and tricky...stick with your #1.  

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I’m taking the guy that’s played a lot and who is a solid goalie, ya Crepeau is the future for sure if he keeps it up. But only 17 games in MLS. 

Ya I’m all for European players and more people should be. This MLS bubble is crazy! yes it has  gotten better but let’s be real here is not even top 10 in the world. Man it’s crazy to think people on here are picking Kaye over Arfield or Piette over Hutchinson or Eustáquio, I even saw on here once  Crepeau should the number 1 GK, man that weed’s gonna be some good stuff. Also People on here were calling for some CPL players should been called up - like what ! 

249EA259-368E-484C-8CD4-DDEA7643DE0D.jpeg

Had Leutwiler played as a starter in Championship  this year, I would put him in front. He hasn't. I think you're just smoking some fancy European grass.

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Much as I like Leutwiler, hasnt he only played 10 games in the last 2 seasons?  Crepeau is on a pretty good run, continuing on from last year being the #1 keeper at Ottawa.  I dont think Herdman will get a lot of complaining from those in the know if he plays Crepeau against Cuba.  For Mexico lets not get too cagey and tricky...stick with your #1.  

If we need a result against Cuba, there's no way we should be playing our back up goalie. We needed Borjan to be in top form against Martinique to avoid a tricky second half (which would've been if Martinique had tied the game in late first half). Unless we are already through, the Cuba game isn't the one to be kind and nice to your back up keeper even if he's in good form at the club level.

6 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Had Leutwiler played as a starter in Championship  this year, I would put him in front. He hasn't. I think you're just smoking some fancy European grass.

LOL I wish .... I’m happy with both them just my view Leutwiler over Max as of right now. But you have  admit  there’s a crazy MLS  player bias / bubble on here. 

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

LOL I wish .... I’m happy with both them just my view Leutwiler over Max as of right now. But you have  admit  there’s a crazy MLS  player bias / bubble on here.

I wouldn't say that. I think most Vs are sophisticated enough to be aware of players playing abroad. Lot's of posters here (including myself) wanted Cordova (Chile), James (Denmark) or Straith (Germany), etc, called. Perhaps you are saying this because the Canadian soccer media is virtually non-existent and we get a lot of our news articles from MLS.com, which naturally focuses on MLS players?

That being said, I think you are selling MLS a bit short. Is it a top-10 league in the world? No, but neither is League 1 in the UK. Remember MLS players are good enough for the US, which is a pretty good team! MLS goalies are pretty solid too, which is one of the reasons it took Creapeu a while to establish himself.

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

LOL I wish .... I’m happy with both them just my view Leutwiler over Max as of right now. But you have  admit  there’s a crazy MLS  player bias / bubble on here. 

There is bias on both sides. I understand the Piette over Hutchinson, not saying that I agree with it, but I just dont understand the Leutwiler over Crepeau.

Just now, aloyol said:

If we need a result against Cuba, there's no way we should be playing our back up goalie. We needed Borjan to be in top form against Martinique to avoid a tricky second half (which would've been if Martinique had tied the game in late first half). Unless we are already through, the Cuba game isn't the one to be kind and nice to your back up keeper even if he's in good form at the club level.

If we win or draw Mexico - we should be playing the B lineup vs Cuba, rest some key guys for the knockout rounds. 

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Remember MLS players are good enough for the US, which is a pretty good team

They lost against  Trinidad and Tobago. They have been awful  with their  Wind up to gold cup. The US is over rated !!! If we played them now we would beat them for sure! 

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

There is bias on both sides. I understand the Piette over Hutchinson, not saying that I agree with it, but I just dont understand the Leutwiler over Crepeau.

That’s fair - it’s a great debate to have! So excited for this team.

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Uh, I meant like over the last 20 years or so, not just their last game vs T&T.

Ya in the past yes! Now if the CSA has their shit together, maybe we would having a different covo. But recently the US team is over rated and they are going to get  embarrassed, just watch. Thank god they cheated to get a favour group and side. Because if there was a group of death let’s say for example - Canada, US, Jamaica ,  Costa Rica. I’m sure the US is not getting out of that 

37 minutes ago, aloyol said:

If you are going to play a back up keeper anywhere from now on Cuba is the game.  Seriously, we needed a result against Martinique, and we probably need one against Cuba, and why would you play a back up against the toughest team in the tournie (mexico).  SO there are always reasons why you shouldnt play crepeau/Leutwiler, but I think Herdman could give Borjan a rest against cuba, result needed or not.  He already left Cav, Osorio and Henry on the bench when he needed a result.  He isnt against rotating the squad.  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If you are going to play a back up keeper anywhere from now on Cuba is the game.  Seriously, we needed a result against Martinique, and we probably need one against Cuba, and why would you play a back up against the toughest team in the tournie (mexico).  SO there are always reasons why you shouldnt play crepeau/Leutwiler, but I think Herdman could give Borjan a rest against cuba, result needed or not.  He already left Cav, Osorio and Henry on the bench when he needed a result.  He isnt against rotating the squad.  

But we are speaking about goalkeeping here. Borjan isn't running 10 miles per game, so not sure why he would need a rest.

I would argue that in most tournaments I've followed over the years (WC, Euro or GC), I don't remember seeing a back up keeper playing in a game  where his team needed a result unless the starting keeper was injured or suspended. Rotating field players is one thing, rotating your keepers in such tournaments is unseen or very rare in soccer.

I would also add that the difference between Milan and Max is an important one in term of quality/experience.

Edited by aloyol

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Your anti USA rhetoric is borderline trolling.  We got it, you don’t like them but facts don’t care about your feelings.  They lost to T&T .. so what?  We lost to Jamaica and El Salvador in 2017.

They also won the last Gold Cup so there’s that..

Oh please , trolling ? Did you watch the    Trinidad and Tobago , Jamaica and  Venezuela games? and have you not been watching what the experts ( that’s not MLS.com ) are saying about the US team ? Call a spade a spade ! 

4 minutes ago, aloyol said:

But we are speaking about goalkeeping here. Borjan isn't running 10 miles per game, so not sure why he would need a rest.

I would argue that in most tournaments I've followed over the years (WC, Euro or GC), I don't remember seeing a back up keeper playing in a game  where his team needed a result unless the starting keeper was injured or suspended. Rotating field players is one thing, rotating your keepers in such tournaments is unseen or very rare in soccer.

I agree, thats why I was saying IF and Herdman COULD rest..etc.  At some point you have to be confident in your #2 and the depth of your outfield to say "you 11 can get the job done against cuba".  Everyone is talking about the sky high confidence Herdman et al are showing.  God forbid Borjan gets hurt and we never gave anyone else a run out.