Gold Cup 2019

need to keep in mind.... Gold Cup Schedule is:

- 3 games in 8 days,

- followed by a week off,

- then possibly 3 more games in 8 days depending how far one goes in the tournament.  

Hutch should definitely be rested on Sunday since he's 36, he won't have lots left in the tank for that game.  The younger guys should be fine for Sunday and won't need to rest since they'll have a full week to recuperate following that game.

Need to field a fairly strong team, ideally the closest possible to what we want to field in the later rounds.  I'd go with:

Hoilett - Cavallini - David

Kaye - Piette - Arfield

Davies - Cornelius - Henry - ZBG

* I hesitate with Davies at LB, not ideal, but i feel its our best bet.  I'd rather have Hoilett on than Morgan.

Edited by costarg

What I'd like to see vs. Cuba is:

Borjan

Godinho - Henry - Cornelius - Morgan

Arfield - Piette - Osorio

Hoilett - David - Davies

Subs:  Millar for Davies around the 60th (if game is comfortable), Cav for David, and 3rd sub depends on game situation.

* Godinho because he's fresh, and showed a little better, albeit against weaker competition

* Morgan because Kaye is on a yellow and I don't want to risk losing him for the QF

* Cornelius desperately needs a rest, but hopefully can go, and may not have as much work to do. Also, we don't really have another great option at CB ... not sure if Miller can be trusted in a match of this magnitude.  Unfortunately, Hutch is the only other field player who has gone all 180, otherwise, I'd swap out Cornelius for Hutch. But for now, I'd rather rest Hutch for the QF, and we should still be able to beat Cuba without him. Not having one more quality CB (like James) is the pretty clearly our biggest weakness right now.

17 minutes ago, Addona said:

What I'd like to see vs. Cuba is:

Borjan

Godinho - Henry - Cornelius - Morgan

Arfield - Piette - Osorio

Hoilett - David - Davies

Subs:  Millar for Davies around the 60th (if game is comfortable), Cav for David, and 3rd sub depends on game situation.

* Godinho because he's fresh, and showed a little better, albeit against weaker competition

* Morgan because Kaye is on a yellow and I don't want to risk losing him for the QF

* Cornelius desperately needs a rest, but hopefully can go, and may not have as much work to do. Also, we don't really have another great option at CB ... not sure if Miller can be trusted in a match of this magnitude.  Unfortunately, Hutch is the only other field player who has gone all 180, otherwise, I'd swap out Cornelius for Hutch. But for now, I'd rather rest Hutch for the QF, and we should still be able to beat Cuba without him. Not having one more quality CB (like James) is the pretty clearly our biggest weakness right now.

Cornelius smashed his face up pretty good. He also played in T&T friendly I believe, so he's a prime candidate to take a break. I think Miller gets a chance in this one, perhaps a cap for young Okello if the game is going well.

I would be prepared to bring on Cavallini, Osorio, David or Arfield if things aren't going well. Maybe a short run out for Davies to build his confidence up, he really looked dejected after the 3rd goal took a deflection off him. He didn't really look like himself after that.

Hutchinson, Kaye and Cornelius I would shut down for this one.

Barring some Bermuda Triangle-esque mystery upset tonight, group B will be settled with a game to play.  CONCACAF should've at least made Costa Rica play Haiti in the first or second game to leave some drama for matchday 3.

Edit: I guess Haiti and Costa Rica could still battle each other to the death for the right to face those weak-ass Canadians in the quarters

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Bermuda are giving Costa Rica trouble.

Would love to see them get a draw, or if they still end up winning, lose to Haiti in the last match somehow. They still have more to show Mexico and facing Haiti instead of them would be a huge boost.

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

Costa Rica by the skin of their teeth. I didnt watch but the stat line doesnt look impressive for them. 

I'm telling you guys, Costa Rica really aren't that impressive. I wasn't impressed with their first game and I never even saw this game but the result does not surprise me. Jamaica, Honduras and Panama are all better than Costa Rica in this moment in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Haiti beat them.

Just now, canta15 said:

Just realized that the ref for Martinique v Cuba was Qatari. Why would they bring in a non-Concacaf ref.

They said it was part of a ref "exchange program" between the US and Qatar, I believe ...

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Just realized that the ref for Martinique v Cuba was Qatari. Why would they bring in a non-Concacaf ref.

Theyve been doing this for years. Exchange program where refs get to swap confederation tournament assignments to build up experience across the globe. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

As I said after the Nicaragua game.. Costa Rica are not very good. That who I want to play. We can beat them. It would be a big statement and a great name for our resume. Unfortunately I kinda think Haiti will beat them anyhow

I second that.

There's a small part of me that would prefer to play Costa Rica instead of Haiti.

I haven't watched Haiti at all since 2016, when I was in Orlando to see them get trounced 7-1 by Brazil in Copa America, but if they can get past Costa Rica they'll be surely be galvanized, full of confidence and very dangerous. That could be a trap door for a Canada side mentally prepping to face Costa Rica.

Meanwhile, Costa Rica beating Haiti would be par the course for the Ticos, and they wouldn't come into the quarters against us with the freedom and confidence of playing with house money like Haiti would.

So considering the above, combined with CR's form, combined with our past results against CR, combined with the fact a Caribbean side dispatching us last time in the QF, I am not sure Haiti is the team we want to face off against in a do-or-die.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Theyve been doing this for years. Exchange program where refs get to swap confederation tournament assignments to build up experience across the globe. 

I remember when Ravshan Irmatov (from Uzbekistan) refereed the second leg CL semi final between Toronto FC and Club America. It was such a well reffed match, miles better than any CONCACAF match I've seen.  Irmatov is a fantastic referee generally speaking, but I think him being from outside the region allowed him to approach the match with clearer eyes... but that's extremely speculative.

47 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm of the opinion in 4 years Haiti will be a World Cup team. Ahead of the Central American teams and after us of course. I guess when the tournament expands that will hold a different meaning it you get my point

Nothing personal, but I reject this idea that an expanded world cup will somehow cheapen the whole thing.  I see it come up all the time.  Yes, it would be great to make it under the current format - mostly because I just want us to make it.  But I am not going to put an asterisk beside our future participation on the basis of an expanded format. 

Do teams making it now (but not before it was expanded to 32 in 1998 - thanks Wikipedia) feel the need to cheapen their accomplishment?  I doubt it.  Same as the expansion in 1982 to 24 teams.  The tournament has expanded in part because  the number of high quality teams  has grown in lockstep with the sport's growth on the global stage.  If we make in under an expanded format, the in my opinion, that is that.  We made it.  No caveats required.

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nothing personal, but I reject this idea that an expanded world cup will somehow cheapen the whole thing.  I see it come up all the time.  Yes, it would be great to make it under the current format - mostly because I just want us to make it.  But I am not going to put an asterisk beside our future participation on the basis of an expanded format. 

Do teams making it now (but not before it was expanded to 32 in 1998 - thanks Wikipedia) feel the need to cheapen their accomplishment?  I doubt it.  Same as the expansion in 1982 to 24 teams.  The tournament has expanded in part because  the number of high quality teams  has grown in lockstep with the sport's growth on the global stage.  If we make in under an expanded format, the in my opinion, that is that.  We made it.  No caveats required.

Your dress is blue, mine is grey. Or however that went.

I was simply using make the world cup as an index of how you rank in our region.

So I was saying in 4 years Concacaf will look like

1) Mexico 2) USA 3) Canada 4)Haiti 5) Panama

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Your dress is blue, mine is grey. Or however that went.

I was simply using make the world cup as an index of how you rank in our region.

So I was saying in 4 years Concacaf will look like

1) Mexico 2) USA 3) Canada 4)Haiti 5) Panama

I see Costa Rica coming back pretty quickly just because it's one of the richer and larger (outside of the obvious three) nations in CONCACAF. That's the reason they're there in the first place and the reason, ultimately, that Panama hangs around as well.