Gold Cup 2019

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

By Pedro Pacheco, you mean the Canadian Xavi?  He's the heart of my all-time midfield:

Friend - Kusch

Simpson - Pacheco - Nash - Bent

Hastings - Serioux - De Vos - Stalteri

Stamatopoulos

That's some serious grit, right there.

Love it!   But you may have the wrong Portuguese-Canadian in there! 

Fernando "RoboCop" Aguiar has to be in consideration for any "all-grit" line up.  

34 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Noble Okello is huge!   (and Herdman is tiny!)  LoL

Yeah no joke, that’s one good thing about that call he’s out tallest by far.  Now combine that with technical skill and you can see why he has massive potential. 

Edit: no pun intended. 😆

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 hours ago, ktf said:

I love how the coaches heights are coordinated into a perfect smile. Did they plan that when hiring?😂

I think it’s more likely they are trying to conceal Herdman’s height. If he stood beside the two bald guys, her would look even smaller

1 minute ago, scullion44 said:

You guys think there will be any stream out there tonight? I'm outside Canada and my tsn go account when on VPN is giving me issues.

Isn't the Gold Cup on CONCACAF Go?   Maybe that with a VPN if they geoblock?

2 hours ago, admin said:

Isn't the Gold Cup on CONCACAF Go?   Maybe that with a VPN if they geoblock?

Its supposed to be, but its not letting you pay for them yet.  Only Canada - Cuba is available for purchase.  The optimist in me tells me that Canada - Martinique and Canada - Mexico will be free, but that seems highly unlikely.  I'm traveling as well, so I really hope this gets figured out.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Its supposed to be, but its not letting you pay for them yet.  Only Canada - Cuba is available for purchase.  The optimist in me tells me that Canada - Martinique and Canada - Mexico will be free, but that seems highly unlikely.  I'm traveling as well, so I really hope this gets figured out.

Ah. I now see that "Not Available" bit there.

I'd think with TSN having purchased the entire tournament, then it won't be available - which is what we saw historically for Nations League games when they were broadcast in Canada. Not sure why Cuba is showing up - probably an error.

Perhaps with a VPN outside of Canada/USA ... I guess this is good for those currently in Europe.

Might be simpler to sign up for TSN for a month.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lansdude said:

We have pretty good betting odds for this tournament.

32:1 to win the tournament, 1.38:1 to beat Martinique. The latter looks like great value and the second looks like free money.

So psyched for this tournament.

Yep, free money. Thanks Canada, made $350 today.

So the 4-0 win against Martinique was the largest margin of victory for Canada in Gold Cup history!

Well done team!

Sidenotes: While researching if it was the biggest win, here are some things I noticed.

In 1998 we withdrew. Can anyone refresh my memory how we tried to justify that?

In 1996 we were in a 3 team group with Honduras and Brazil, with only the winner advancing. That's one heck of a tough draw.

And as someone pointed out recently, we did in fact advance from the group stage on a coin toss/drawing of lots in back to back Gold Cups (2000 and 2002). In the following tournament (2003) we finished in another 3 team tie but we were beaten on goal difference and goals scored by the other two teams (Costa Rica and Cuba).