Gold Cup 2019

Jamaica's outside backs Kemar and Powell are class. Kemar owned Elis to the point that he was largely ineffective other than his assist on the giveaway goal. It was fun watching the Honduras players doing their usual roll on the turf jig and the ref completely ignoring them.....To the point that they stopped and concentrated on playing the game. That had to be a first for them.  

13 hours ago, aloyol said:

Corona has never played a WC game so Mexico never did this in a WC. 

Can you find a tournament where they did this? Maybe they can afflrd this in the GC....

I checked and they've always used Ochoa in the World Cup recently.  I may be mistaken, perhaps it was in Qualifying and not a tournament.

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Jamaica's outside backs Kemar and Powell are class. Kemar owned Elis to the point that he was largely ineffective other than his assist on the giveaway goal. It was fun watching the Honduras players doing their usual roll on the turf jig and the ref completely ignoring them.....To the point that they stopped and concentrated on playing the game. That had to be a first for them.  

Powell was particularly good on the other side. He had a hand in setting up the first goal.

I don't know if it's the USA friendly result, hosting a GC game, or having Leon Bailey in the team, but Jamaica really looked up for it last night. Good players like Lawrence and Powell played great, which is dangerous for the other teams in this competition.

I would love for Jamaica to knock out the USA this year. T&T already had their fun, give another Caribbean team a chance :)

T&T with a listless, stinker of a performance against Panama. Looked like they weren't even trying half the time.

Guyana, with its 3 Canucks who play for them, take on the US in 10 minutes. Welshman & Dover get the start, Roberts is presumably on the bench. Go CPL!

33 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

T&T with a listless, stinker of a performance against Panama. Looked like they weren't even trying half the time.

Guyana, with its 3 Canucks who play for them, take on the US in 10 minutes. Welshman & Dover get the start, Roberts is presumably on the bench. Go CPL!

Yeah, that was seriously rough from T&T

I sort of have a soft spot for Guyana due to the Canadians but realistically they're lucky to be here.  They were awarded a 3-0 nations league win after Barbados fielded a suspended player in a 2-2 draw.  This really should be Montserrat playing tonight.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Ouch. He was their captain last game too. 

This may be a dumb question but how does cuba have some players playing in panama/guatamla/Dominican but still on the national team? 

Edit: It appears only those who defect to the US are no longer eligible for cuban national team. 

Edited by king1010

10 hours ago, king1010 said:

Ouch. He was their captain last game too. 

This may be a dumb question but how does cuba have some players playing in panama/guatamla/Dominican but still on the national team? 

Edit: It appears only those who defect to the US are no longer eligible for cuban national team. 

I believe they recently changed the policy to allow professionals play for the team - late 2017 or so. It's hit or miss though, and I recall the coach complaining maybe a year ago that the government had promised the foreign based players could play in a few matches  but pulled it at the last minute (I did wonder at the time if it was a cost issue). Guess it was approved for the GC.

Clearly, players who defect would no longer be representing the nation.

Edited by BCM

Matt Doyle has us at no.2 in his power rankings, behind Mexico and ahead of some combination of USA-Jamaica-Costa Rica.

Weibe and Calen Carr seem less high on Canada.

Personally, I have been impressed by Panama, Jamaica, Honduras and Canada (obviously). I have been less impressed by Costa Rica and the United States. I think all 6 of these teams are more or less equal this tournament from what I have observed so far.

T&T I don't think will advance and they looked a step beneath Panama

Edited by Obinna

Matt Doyle is paid to get egg on his face about Canada every few years.  Never forget when he picked us to win in 2015 with Larin as golden boot winner lol.  I almost wish he would rank us low.

The USA did not impress at all last night.  Despite scoring two goals Tyler Boyd will likely never play for the USA again after this tournament, just like Dom dwyer.  Except this guy left NZ to basically end his international career. 

Some of the US giveaways in midfield were awful and I’m a Bradley fan but man... I can see why US fans are hard on him.  Absolutely laughable that he makes 7 million a year but hey, good for him! Lol 

Edited by CanadaFan123

20 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Anyone who watched Guyana, care to comment on how Welshman looked? Can't imagine he got much of the ball but curious to see how he played nonetheless

He was completely starved of service but did some good hold up play on his own and set up the one good chance that Guyana had. For the most part he was completely on his own without any support.

Dover looked pretty good I thought in terms of the other Canuck who played. Given that Guyana is happy to start Canadian players who weren't even remotely on the national team radar for a cap puts the US eventual 4-0 win in perspective. Overall Guyana looked like the weakest team in the tourney with a CB who looked like he ran out of gas even before the first half ended. Martinique looked a lot stronger IMO, despite the identical scoreline.

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Anyone who watched Guyana, care to comment on how Welshman looked? Can't imagine he got much of the ball but curious to see how he played nonetheless

He did alright. He didn't really stand out, good or bad. Seemed to be as competent as his teammates, which is a compliment considering they played the USA. The whole team deserves praise for how they went after the game.

I was cheering for Guyana and especially Welshman. Cool to have a CPL player starting in the Gold Cup, especially a Canadian. Hope to see even more in 2021.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Matt Doyle is paid to get egg on his face about Canada every few years.  Never forget when he picked us to win in 2015 with Larin as golden boot winner lol.  I almost wish he would rank us low.

The USA did not impress at all last night.  Despite scoring two goals Tyler Boyd will likely never play for the USA again after this tournament, just like Dom dwyer.  Except this guy left NZ to basically end his international career. 

Some of the US giveaways in midfield were awful and I’m a Bradley fan but man... I can see why US fans are hard on him.  Absolutely laughable that he makes 7 million a year but hey, good for him! Lol 

You wouldn't say that based on the US media reaction towards Boyd. They are all gushing over him now. Rightly so, he did very well. There is a lot to criticize about the teams performance but none of it has to do with Boyd. Him and Arriola were the best of the bunch.

Boyd will continue to start in the Gold Cup and we haven't seen the last of him in a USA shirt. He'll double Dom Dyer's in caps by this time next year, guaranteed (and that's a conservative prediction).

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You wouldn't say that based on the US media reaction towards Boyd. They are all gushing over him now. Rightly so, he did very well. There is a lot to criticize about the teams performance but none of it has to do with Boyd. Him and Arriola were the best of the bunch.

Boyd will continue to start in the Gold Cup and we haven't seen the last of him in a USA shirt. He'll double Dom Dyer's in caps by this time next year, guaranteed (and that's a conservative prediction).

Agreed. Curious why you believe he won’t be called again?

Lol at Doyle putting us at #2. Thanks for the jinx. This guy sounds like David Foster Wallace when he talks by the way.

This is my hopefully non-homer power ranking:

Mexico

(gap)

Jamaica

Costa Rica

Canada

Honduras

(shallow curve)

United States

Panama

(curve gets steeper from here)

Haiti