The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe it's some sort of slow working voodoo doll of an avatar. Someone with artistic skills draw one of the same cartoon version of him but with 2 functioning eyes holding the World Cup trophy.

I actually thought of this when it happened. A sigil.

My sister of all people, just pointed me to this:

"Why Everybody Loves Phonzie

Inside Alphonso Davies’s amazing journey to become the best Canadian soccer player of all time."

https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/alphonso-davies-soccer-world-cup/

Big article and it looks like the cover next month. 

Edit: Nothing super new to people like us but maybe something to grab the Canadian casuals out there.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

"As for Davies, the Canadian will be at the World Cup with his national team (his debut in a major international tournament, an event in which he will be able to showcase his powerful attacking arsenal."

From the Marca article. Is the Gold Cup not a major international tournament or is this shoddy reporting?

1 minute ago, kohanz said:

"As for Davies, the Canadian will be at the World Cup with his national team (his debut in a major international tournament, an event in which he will be able to showcase his powerful attacking arsenal."

From the Marca article. Is the Gold Cup not a major international tournament or is this shoddy reporting?

I doubt the International media gives a shit about the Gold Cup

Macra being a Spanish outlet would probably consider Copa America to be a major tournament, probably ahead of the Olympics. 

But yeah, I would say the Olympics, Gold Cup, ACON and the Asian Cup are all of secondary importance despite technically being major tournaments. 

Davies is the youngest goal scorer (and I believe the first born in the 2000s) to feature in a "major" tournament. 

Edit: On second thought, I am not sure if I would include Olympics as a major tournament relative to the others. It may be major in terms of eyeballs, but it's basically a U-23 tournament with some over-aged players sprinkled in, so I don't really consider it in the same vein as the others.

Also, I don't believe it is a FIFA tournament (if that matters). Nor is it put on by a regional confederation. 

Edited by Obinna