The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

5 hours ago, P-O said:

I am aware I might be thrown sticks and rocks for sharing this opinion, but it has been on my mind for a while watching all our CMS play recently.

I also have been trying to figure how we can use our strengh as a nation to be effective, especially versus Belgium & Croatia when we will play counter.

We desperately need a runner in Central Midfield, and Osorio has been good for us in the CONCACAF, but he lacks pace.

Eustachio is the controler, Hutch/Pietter are destroyer and we need someone that can run.

I believe this tactic would be our best formation but also the best use of our players for this World Cup.

Our back 3 flanked with Adekudge & Laryea to provide witdh, speed & they have the fitness + defensive quality to sit tight and low.

Our midfield would have Piette as a #6, Eustachio as a roaming playmaker & Davies that could run & open space for David / Larin.

canada.JPG

I find that I interesting.  I mentioned on the MAK thread that we are lacking  physicality in midfield. Davies has the pace obviously and though he isn't asked to do it a lot, I have seen him compete well in the air.  

Whether you sacrifice an world-class wide player because we have some other very good ones and are lacking in the centre of the park, I don't know.

During the 2 WCQ games in Edmonton vs CR and Mexico, Davies cut into the middle a lot and tried to do too much dribbling often turning the ball over.  He did not have a good performance. Perhaps it was due to him playing at "home"?  With his speed you want him either wide where he has space or up front with David where he played vs USA at BMO.

6 hours ago, P-O said:

I'm not sure Hoilett has the positioning nor the ability to get the ball back.

What is your take?

I have to agree.  Hoilett has never been a duel winning monster, he has never played the role of disruptor/destroyer, nor the role of a deep-lying distributor.  Couple that with the fact that at this stage of his career he does not have an Energizer bunny engine, and I'd say box-to-box midfield or a number 6 is a bad fit.  CAM, maybe.  

Edited by GasPed

4 hours ago, P-O said:

I'm not sure Hoilett has the positioning nor the ability to get the ball back.

What is your take?

I'm quite high on Hoilett as he seems to create all sorts of havoc whenever he gets on. He also strikes me as a coach's player, very intelligent with a crazy high work rate. I honestly think he could fit in most anywhere and would, at the very least, not be a detriment in that particular role. Here's what his new gaffer had to say after his stint at right wing back of all places:

https://wokingham.today/hes-the-ultimate-professional-reading-fc-boss-ince-praises-versatile-junior-hoilett/

edit: I'm just beginning to learn some of the more nuanced facets to the game though so massive grain of salt yadda yadda

Edited by PegCityCam

13 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I'm quite high on Hoilett as he seems to create all sorts of havoc whenever he gets on. He also strikes me as a coach's player, very intelligent with a crazy high work rate. I honestly think he could fit in most anywhere and would, at the very least, not be a detriment in that particular role. Here's what his new gaffer had to say after his stint at right wing back of all places:

https://wokingham.today/hes-the-ultimate-professional-reading-fc-boss-ince-praises-versatile-junior-hoilett/

edit: I'm just beginning to learn some of the more nuanced facets to the game though so massive grain of salt yadda yadda

I agree that Hoillet has a high soccer intelligence and could play pretty well anywhere except CB. He knows how to dictate the game in the position he plays, he can pause, he's very focussed. He's wily. I am sure he could handle a midfield role, with support of course.

6 minutes ago, A.D.I.D.A.S. said:

Listening to the match on Spanish radio at work. Commentators mentioned that Ousmane Dembele and Raphinha have switched wings, so it's now Phonzie vs Dembele. Can anyone watching a stream confirm?

Yup...though nothing much happening on that side atm

Edited by PegCityCam

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies was spectacular first 20, like the match. High tempo, maybe Barça with the edge.

As said Dembele switches to Davies's side m 30 and he holds back more.

Commits a clear penalty chopping down Dembele m. 42 or so, can't believe Var ignored it.

Lots of empty seats in Munich.

So what's it feel like to cheer for a Bayern legend?