The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I noticed that, he was cutting inside Mane a lot.  Maybe Nagelsmann is doing us a favour and training him for a Canadian 3-5-1 (Davies) - 1 formation.

Yup. I also think Herdman that is probably piggy backing off Nagelsmann's deployment of Davies. 

14 hours ago, nolando said:

Would love to see the list....trying to think of who else might have more than 10 appearances even...Borjan, Radzinski, JDG??

JDG never played champions league. Stalteri had at least 8 appearances in the champions league.

Hirschfeld played 10 times in the champions league. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 hours ago, jonovision said:

Davies 24

Hutchinson 23

Borjan 14

Radzinski 12

Stalteri 8

David 8

Larin 5

JDG none

Those are all of the names I bothered to look up. All stats from transfermarkt ("Stats by club" page for each player).

In addition to those and the ones mentioned after,

James had 1 and Terence Moore had 2 European Cup appearances which are considered the same. 

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Combine that with his 23 Champions League appearances and Davies still has a long way to go in terms of combined European football. I am sure he'll get there, though!

He does.  

Not to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, but he has a little ways to reach 2nd spot - Scott Arfield - ( Edit: and is behind Borjan and just passed a number of others) if that is the reckoning. 

The Europa League and predecessor list. 

1 Atiba Hutchinson - 64

2 Scott Arfield - 37

3 Milan Borjan - 25

4 Michael Klukowski - 23

5 Jonathan David - 15

6 Paul Stalteri - 15

7 Ricardo Ferreira - 13

8 Tamandani Nsaliwa - 12

9 Patrice Bernier - 8

10 Kevin McKenna - 7

Edit: You can also find qualifying numbers like:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uefa-champions-league-qualifikation/rekordspieler/pokalwettbewerb/CLQ

and filter it to Canada.

Borjan leads with 27 Champions League qualifiers

Arfield leads with 20 Europa League qualifiers 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Subbed at the half.

He went off right when it happened and was immediately subbed.

edit...at least I think he was subbed. He immediately left the pitch and didn't return. I thought I saw someone come on for him but my stream is glitchy lol

Edited by PegCityCam

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Looked not great but how can someone conclude that it “looks like a concussion”.  He got kicked in the face - it’s gonna be sore.  

I think they thought it looked like a concussion because of the way Davies himself looked when taken off the field. He had to be helped/guided and he had this wide-eyed, glazed over/distant look in his eyes. No cuts and no real swelling...the kick looks like it got him pretty much right in the eye, or slightly above perhaps. Bad news. Hopefully it's something he can recover from quickly. 

14 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I think they thought it looked like a concussion because of the way Davies himself looked when taken off the field. He had to be helped/guided and he had this wide-eyed, glazed over/distant look in his eyes. No cuts and no real swelling...the kick looks like it got him pretty much right in the eye, or slightly above perhaps. Bad news. Hopefully it's something he can recover from quickly. 

I don't know if it was hitting his face or the whiplash of his head going back that rattled the brain cells.  Any way you look at it, it's not good.  Glad my vibes don't come with a guarantee or hopefully it will be just a small bump in the road.

Glad it wasn't a concussion and hope him a speedy recovery. At this point I don't mind him taking a few weeks off or extra time and just come back in time for a few more games just to ramp up the fitness before the WC. Enough games to be fit for WC, but not a ton of games that he has a chance to get hurt. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

He was diagnosed with a bruised skull, rather than a concussion. No timeline given by Bayern for recovery, person who reported this on twitter indicated that recovery time is typically 5-10 days, maybe less

If that's correct, that's excellent news.  When I saw 'bruised skull' it sounded horrible.  Ever since Iain Hume's injury, anything to do with a skull makes me nervous.