Theo Bair

Another Courier article which cites points about Bair's playing style many of us here already discussed four years ago:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4091008/st-johnstone-theo-bair-callum-davidson-2/

They want a presence in the centre at the #9 spot but he wants to play more of a finesse game on the periphery.  No diiferent than his time with Caps.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Another Courier article which cites points about Bair's playing style many of us here already discussed four years ago:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4091008/st-johnstone-theo-bair-callum-davidson-2/

They want a presence in the centre at the #9 spot but he wants to play more of a finesse game on the periphery.  No diiferent than his time with Caps.

What is it with guys like Bair and Okello? Why can't these guys learn to adjust their game to utilize the God-given physical size they possess? 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What is it with guys like Bair and Okello? Why can't these guys learn to adjust their game to utilize the God-given physical size they possess? 

I honestly don’t get it.  Peter Crouch may have had a “good touch for a big man” but his aerial ability was a massive asset that he took full advantage of - and he leveraged it into a very successful career for club and country.  You can’t tell me that if he is 5’ 9” he has the same level of success.  For guys blessed with height, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t make maximum use of the tools that they have been given.   

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I honestly don’t get it.  Peter Crouch may have had a “good touch for a big man” but his aerial ability was a massive asset that he took full advantage of - and he leveraged it into a very successful career for club and country.  You can’t tell me that if he is 5’ 9” he has the same level of success.  For guys blessed with height, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t make maximum use of the tools that they have been given.   

I remember there used to be a Czech player who was very tall  He kind of resembled Danny Dichio in appearance  I believe his name was Jan Kolak he was similiar to Peter Crouch only a bit more talented . Thats a player guys like Bair should try to emulate

10 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I remember there used to be a Czech player who was very tall  He kind of resembled Danny Dichio in appearance  I believe his name was Jan Kolak he was similiar to Peter Crouch only a bit more talented . Thats a player guys like Bair should try to emulate

Jan Koller. He also formed a good partnership with Radzinski at Anderlecht

I just want to throw this out there. It is a skill to be able to quickly assess/anticipate where you need to go, when you need to jump, etc, to meet the ball high in the air. Or to know where to stand to be able to block out a defender so you can chest the ball down. The skills of anticipating the flight of the ball so accurately don't just come to you if you are tall. It's a skill that takes a lot of repetitions, and probably some amount of natural talent. It's not something someone can just turn on if they try harder/be more aggressive.

Edited by Kent
I used the wrong to/too. Ew.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I just want to throw this out there. It is a skill to be able to quickly assess/anticipate where you need to go, when you need to jump, etc, to meet the ball high in the air. Or too know where to stand to be able to block out a defender so you can chest the ball down. The skills of anticipating the flight of the ball so accurately don't just come to you if you are tall. It's a skill that takes a lot of repetitions, and probably some amount of natural talent. It's not something someone can just turn on if they try harder/be more aggressive.

Jonathan David has no idea how to do either of those things but still scores. You have to consider that some players backing into defenders or jumping in a crowd are more injury prone. 

Other than a very rare, and, ironically, amazing goal, for me Bair is not a MLS level player and never really has been. Not all prospects make the jump up and Bair seems to have reached his limit. Good on him for working at it. A CPL or lower level European gig might suite him better and give him a chance to develop what strengths he has.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Seems like there’s still a little wiggle room between SPL washout and CPL. USL Championship maybe?

Salary-wise that is probably a bit higher but is there an appreciable difference in quality of play?   I tend to view that as an alternate development/career pathway, rather than a superior one.