Theo Bair

28 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Haven’t followed Theo Bair but I think Sartini can turn around his MLS career.  He made Tiebert effective, White lethal and Nerwinski actually playing great defence as a LB now.

Perhaps.  Don't forget Owusu, whose face should have been on a milk carton while MDS was here.  He's been totally rejuvenated under Sartini.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at their roster, and it is quite interesting.

Few foreigners. And of the goal scorers, including the leading scorer who had 14 and is into his thirties, they are all Norwegian veterans who have spent their entire careers in 3rd and 2nd tier. I think one had a year in top flight. Some might have been on a Norway u19 international callup, like 8-10 years ago. 

They are all lower tier journeymen with no experience in top flight, and probably with low salary expectations. And of the scorers, Theo is the youngest by quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

His contract option has been picked up.

I don't mind if the Caps are convinced he has a role. I mean, if you drop Ricketts, and if Cav gets moved on, you are back to Theo as a regular sub, or even playing alongside White. He is not expensive, and he now has further playing experience, some quality minutes, you could build on. 

Mind you, that could just be to ensure some sort of transfer payment if HamKam or any other Norway club wants him. 

I just hope that if he wants to move on, and sees a future, that the Caps don't make it hard for him.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't mind if the Caps are convinced he has a role. I mean, if you drop Ricketts, and if Cav gets moved on, you are back to Theo as a regular sub, or even playing alongside White. He is not expensive, and he now has further playing experience, some quality minutes, you could build on. 

Mind you, that could just be to ensure some sort of transfer payment if HamKam or any other Norway club wants him. 

I just hope that if he wants to move on, and sees a future, that the Caps don't make it hard for him.

New rumour is Whitecaps chasing Akinola

Theres a long way to go before he plays again for vancouver...meaning both sides will look at the situation...already white is ahead of him at center forward...does cavallini stay or go and do they bring another center forward...egbo will be fighting also...then at wing or attacking midfield they have gauld dajome caicedo vite and maybe raposo habibullah...is he willing to do another season with non-regular time in mls after a good period in europe...whitecaps keep their options open by exercising him at a low salary...more likely than not that he sits down with them and says if im not in the plans for regular time I want out

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t really know how I feel about this.  If it is just to ensure the caps get a cut of a transfer fee (which would make it harder for him to move on) then it doesn’t seem like there is a lot in it for Theo.   

I wouldn't worry too much on this. It could easily just be a cheap sale to HamKam with a percentage of any future sale. 

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I wouldn't worry too much on this. It could easily just be a cheap sale to HamKam with a percentage of any future sale. 

Since he is already on a low salary (I did not check, but think it is well below 100k), if he loans out again it works well for both teams.

I am not sure if when you are on loan you can get anything supplementary, or bonuses on top of that, but I have seen plenty of cases with Barça loaning a player and paying a % of the salary. I suppose a contract could be supplemented as well.

In any case, it would be a modest salary for Norway top flight, but maybe not that low for a team recently promoted. Theo would have to make the calculation, as you could accept it as long as there was an option going forward, after 2022.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since he is already on a low salary (I did not check, but think it is well below 100k), if he loans out again it works well for both teams.

I am not sure if when you are on loan you can get anything supplementary, or bonuses on top of that, but I have seen plenty of cases with Barça loaning a player and paying a % of the salary. I suppose a contract could be supplemented as well.

In any case, it would be a modest salary for Norway top flight, but maybe not that low for a team recently promoted. Theo would have to make the calculation, as you could accept it as long as there was an option going forward, after 2022.

My only thought on why you wouldn't do another loan is that after this season he'd be a free agent, able to sign with the club on a free transfer. So, I don't see there being a benefit to the Whitecaps for that. If the Whitecaps themselves want to try to reintegrate him in time the team, that's a different matter. But if he's going back to Europe, it's better to sell this time then loan.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

My only thought on why you wouldn't do another loan is that after this season he'd be a free agent, able to sign with the club on a free transfer. So, I don't see there being a benefit to the Whitecaps for that. If the Whitecaps themselves want to try to reintegrate him in time the team, that's a different matter. But if he's going back to Europe, it's better to sell this time then loan.

Okay, good point. Though if they sell what would they expect for him? I doubt he'd garner more than 2 or 3 hundred thousand. 

At least your way, a sale, would mean Theo could sign a new contract for more money. But that too would depend on how much HamKam were obliged to pay to get him.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Okay, good point. Though if they sell what would they expect for him? I doubt he'd garner more than 2 or 3 hundred thousand. 

At least your way, a sale, would mean Theo could sign a new contract for more money. But that too would depend on how much HamKam were obliged to pay to get him.

I think they'd take 2 or 3 hundred grand for him. Still better than losing him for nothing. But that's also why I could see them sell for an even lower price but with a sell on clause, getting a better percentage of any future sale.

I see HamKam is signing Kobe Hernandez-Foster, an American formerly from Wolfsburg's academy. They definitely have a theme of bringing in players from CONCACAF (their keeper is Guatemalan). Might be a good landing spot for some younger guys from Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto if they can still sign more foreign players.

Edited by Atlantic
typo

47 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I see HamKam is signing Kobe Hernandez-Foster, an American formerly from Wolfsburg's academy. They have definitely have a theme of bringing in players from CONCACAF (their keeper is Guatemalan). Might be a good landing spot for some younger guys from Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto if they can still sign more foreign players.

From above 

F3CFB76C-E921-4BCD-9B4A-2722CD69F872.jpeg

• 1 month later...

https://aftn.ca/episode-496-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Interview with Theo is at the 57 min mark.  Really interesting interview.  Says he was told he wasn't training hard enough in practice and that's why he wasn't playing.  Requested the transfer/loan to get playing time.  Says "we" (I'll assume he means players) don't appreciate all the amenities they get in MLS, but also learned that those didn't matter as much to him.  Now just wants to play, wherever it is.  On an interesting note, his coaching staff at HamKam (who he really liked) has moved on to Rosenborg. I'd love it if the Whitecaps could work a sale to that club for him. 

• 2 weeks later...