Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

Just now, narduch said:

The thing is if you are going to call Brym you may as well call Fraser too. We probably actually need another player at that position more

I only accept Brym if he somehow does the Campagna role. 

If we play him one single minute and Millar or Theo or Ubgo are lacking minutes, then it's a minor scanda, undermines the squad unity and constitutes an insult to the Herdman message.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your first point dissing Dutch 2nd tier makes no sense. 

Jong PSV was, going back a few years, 4th in 2017, fifth in 2018, in a promotion spot, 2nd, in 2019, really low in the table in 2020, mid table in 21 and 22. Twelfth out of 18 right now. So the argument that if there were relegation they would de facto relegate does not hold water. They are a solid Dutch 2nd tier side playing and competing legit vs. other Dutch 2nd tier sides. They are as good as and better than where Brym is most seasons.

Plenty of leagues allow B teams to rise as high as their 2nd tier. Spain does it, right now the only B in 2nd is Villareal's. They have trouble, because obviously 20 year olds playing 2nd tier adults in Spain is much harder than doing so in Netherlands (btw, Tabla did it rather successfuly).

Then Brym is at Eindhoven, the 2nd team in that city, with a stadium that is smaller than most CPL stadiums. Basically, a very weak club. That almost promoted last year, and could relegate as easily or more easily than Jong PSV: in 2017 they were 11th, then in '18, 12th, 2019, 14th, then 13th in 2020, then 15th, then last season, third. True, years earlier they were closer to promotion and could not get over the hump.

They've had some good finishes recently, sure, but my main point with that is that they are an academy team, not a senior team. Colyn plays for Jong PSV because they think he could be a good player one day, maybe. Brym plays for Eindhoven because they want to win games, and above Colyn, he's shown that he at the very least has interest from first division teams- he is under contract with Rotterdam Sparta. Colyn, both given the fact that he has yet to even sit on the bench for PSV, and that many, many players from Jong PSV never make the first team, has not indicated that yet. That is what I think Herdman finds interesting about Brym.

Arguing that Colyn was not called into a Cup match, as if that somehow proves something; or that other kids his age have made the first team. Well give it time, don't you think? The coach that played him and liked him last year is the current PSV head coach, a guy who was a good striker in his day (Ruud v Nistelrooy).

Give him time, sure, completely agree- that's in the context of people demanding he gets called up now because he's the next big thing in Dutch football, just banging down the doors of PSV- that isn't the case. The team rates younger players more highly than him, they haven't even extended the courtesy bench sit for a pointless cup game yet, etc. In a few years time he'll be a very good player (I hope), and Jong PSV is far from his last stop, but he's not close to playing for PSV yet. (Hoping I am proven wrong soon). He has the attention of RVN which is a very good thing, but he's still very much an unknown quantity. We have players like Malcolm Simmons at Benfica U23, Owen Goodman at Palace U21, Lucas Dias at Sporting B, a couple guys at some big Italian club academies, etc., and none of them are close to being in the conversation for National team call ups. Doesn't mean they're bad, they're just not ready yet. And Colyn plays at a higher level sure, but he is still an academy player.

Brym is a bad callup because it damages the core principle Herdman is trying to sell and undermines his position regarding the quality of club football you need to make a Canada squad. 

FWIW Brym was a major contributor to a team that finished 4 points out of promotion last year, and, through no contribution of his own, is in 2nd place. Colyn's Jong PSV finished 12th last year and sits in 12th currently. I'm not sure if you had any ideas who you'd rather call up than Brym, but if it's Colyn vs. Brym, all of this tells me that Brym is a better (or at least more Herdmanesque) pick for right now.

If we play him one single minute and Millar or Theo or Ubgo are lacking minutes, then it's a minor scanda, undermines the squad unity and constitutes an insult to the Herdman message.

Absolutely no argument here.

12 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

They've had some good finishes recently, sure, but my main point with that is that they are an academy team, not a senior team. Colyn plays for Jong PSV because they think he could be a good player one day, maybe. Brym plays for Eindhoven because they want to win games, and above Colyn, he's shown that he at the very least has interest from first division teams- he is under contract with Rotterdam Sparta. Colyn, both given the fact that he has yet to even sit on the bench for PSV, and that many, many players from Jong PSV never make the first team, has not indicated that yet. That is what I think Herdman finds interesting about Brym.

Give him time, sure, completely agree- that's in the context of people demanding he gets called up now because he's the next big thing in Dutch football, just banging down the doors of PSV- that isn't the case. The team rates younger players more highly than him, they haven't even extended the courtesy bench sit for a pointless cup game yet, etc. In a few years time he'll be a very good player (I hope), and Jong PSV is far from his last stop, but he's not close to playing for PSV yet. (Hoping I am proven wrong soon). He has the attention of RVN which is a very good thing, but he's still very much an unknown quantity. We have players like Malcolm Simmons at Benfica U23, Owen Goodman at Palace U21, Lucas Dias at Sporting B, a couple guys at some big Italian club academies, etc., and none of them are close to being in the conversation for National team call ups. Doesn't mean they're bad, they're just not ready yet. And Colyn plays at a higher level sure, but he is still an academy player.

FWIW Brym was a major contributor to a team that finished 4 points out of promotion last year, and, through no contribution of his own, is in 2nd place. Colyn's Jong PSV finished 12th last year and sits in 12th currently. I'm not sure if you had any ideas who you'd rather call up than Brym, but if it's Colyn vs. Brym, all of this tells me that Brym is a better (or at least more Herdmanesque) pick for right now.

Absolutely no argument here.

The only thing I won't argue is that if Dias or Colyn start to get first team call-ups, and even minutes, then the conversation changes radically. Both would leapfrog Brym, who'd be relegated--and I'd be happy for it. 

Koleosho, if he continues to get calls and even minutes with first team Espanyol, same deal. 

Brym: his first time out for our NT in qualifying, he was listless, lacked urgency, seemed lazy, and was not at all incisive. He did not even have the head to be playing for us. That is what influences my opinion of him. I never got that watching Fraser, for example. The level is not my only concern, it's the player too. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I know, but Brym scored and it started up the buzz in his thread....wondering what it Colyn would have to do eh?  Marry Herdmans sister??  

Colyn plays for an academy, so it's the same league as Brym, sure, but Brym is on a senior team. I think Canada views Colyn closer to Bruno Davidson than Brym. If he goes goal per game between now and the Japan friendly, I think he gets consideration, but honestly, I think he's out of it.

Once he signs his first professional contract next year, he'll be in the picture.

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I know, but Brym scored and it started up the buzz in his thread....wondering what it Colyn would have to do eh?  Marry Herdmans sister??  

Looks like the buzz is underway based on the comments in the Brym thread :)

In all seriousness, I think it comes down to the fact Brym has multiple call-ups and caps under his belt and Colyn doesn't. If it were the other way around I believe Colyn's goal would be creating buzz and Brym's wouldn't be moving the needle.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

PSV are playing 7 games in the next 3 weeks- it would be as good a time as ever to get Colyn a bench appearance with the big club.

Was reading a game report in translation and they said they dropped a few first team players down to the u-23 team, to give them minutes. And get goals, as they were saying the leading scorer for Jong PSV so far was a centre back, their strikers are not producing. 

Found it:

https://www.bd.nl/psv/jong-psv-pakt-dankzij-invaller-colyn-verdiend-een-punt-tegen-hoogvlieger~ad3ff2d4/

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was reading a game report in translation and they said they dropped a few first team players down to the u-23 team, to give them minutes. And get goals, as they were saying the leading scorer for Jong PSV so far was a centre back, their strikers are not producing. 

Found it:

https://www.bd.nl/psv/jong-psv-pakt-dankzij-invaller-colyn-verdiend-een-punt-tegen-hoogvlieger~ad3ff2d4/

I think that’s a big reason Colyn hasn’t been called up. In 10 games he has 2 goals. 2 in his last 4, so hopefully he’s heating up, but scoring goals is what he’s supposed to do, and currently Jong PSV aren’t scoring many 

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think that’s a big reason Colyn hasn’t been called up. In 10 games he has 2 goals. 2 in his last 4, so hopefully he’s heating up, but scoring goals is what he’s supposed to do, and currently Jong PSV aren’t scoring many 

Most likely, he has not really gotten into consisten minutes yet, and the entire team lacks scoring.

These youth teams make a lot of changes, they try things, they can't promote so the point is to prep them properly and get them mentally ready for a first team call-up. So they have a minimum demand, to not relegate, but not much more than that. Play in the way they are expected, usually mirroring the first team in the Dutch academy context.

So it is true, it is hard to evaluate a player on the B teams of major clubs. They just have to be consistent and be ready to move up if they are deserving.

On 10/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, VinceA said:

His goal was chaos and a result of the other team waiting for a whistle that wasn't gonna come.

That's a bit of a weird one. At 2:22 in the video it looks like the ref is telling the Jong PSV player to put it out of play. He doesn't and the ref just decides that's fine and lets the play go on. That being said, if I was the ref I would have just let play go on. It looked like a play where the player might have just gone down to get off the hook from the pressure they were under.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Stryker911 said:

I don't know if he has been named the permanent captain of Jong PSV, but he has certainly been wearing the armband the last couple games.

Good sign. 

ZBG wore the armband for Lyon B early in his career, and later on he has turned out to be a decent player for Canada, one capable of coming into the national team and doing a job. If Colyn can do something similar at some point this cycle, it will be good for us. Obviously though, he'll have to graduate from the Jong PSV before such a thing. 

It's interesting that he is now 55th all time in appearances for the U21s. Almost everyone ahead of him is either with PSV, in the Eredivisie or at a bigger club outside the Netherlands. 

We might want to take a closer look at this guy in Nations League. He seems to have settled into a position in central midfield where we need some turnover.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

This is with the senior team too

Damn, that's good. 

I see he started in the AM position, behind Madueke who is young too but I think already with the 1st team, and Fofana, who is on the Jong PSV like he is. 

The second half strikers were also youth players.

Then you realise he's behind Luuk de Jong and Gakpo too for the first team. Tough competition. 

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Damn, that's good. 

I see he started in the AM position, behind Madueke who is young too but I think already with the 1st team, and Fofana, who is on the Jong PSV like he is. 

The second half strikers were also youth players.

Then you realise he's behind Luuk de Jong and Gakpo too for the first team. Tough competition. 

I also noticed on PSV’s website they don’t list Colyn as part of their pre-season restart roster which features I think 8 other U21s? So I wonder if his omission was an error or if this was last minute.

not that he would be the Gakpo replacement, but that’s a player who seems to be as good as gone, so there will be a spot there. I just hope he gets picked up by another Eredivisie team after this year, I think he could develop into a really good player over the next 4 years.