Herdman new head coach

matty

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

is anyone worried about Herdman being poached with big money now?!?! 

I would have never thought i would have said that a couple of years ago but im a believer now

I don’t think so.  Herdman is making history and he hasn’t qualified the team yet.  If he comes close but no cigar, he make get some mid level team.  If Canada finishes 6-8 hypothetically, don’t think so.  Only qualifying to the World Cup will earn him the big payday

Edited by nolbertos

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

I would have never thought i would have said that a couple of years ago but im a believer now

I don't think he even contemplates offers during while the Ocho is ongoing. If, at the end of the Ocho, we've booked our tickets to Qatar, no chance he jumps before he can put World Cup manager on his CV. After Qatar, it would have to be some pretty sweet offers to tempt him away from leading his adopted country to a home World Cup.

So, in a nutshell, I'm not worried.

16 hours ago, Floortom said:

I'd like to know if the NT has bonuses for making Qatar. And Herdman and his staff, of course.

I suspect our bonus structure is pretty lame, considering what making the WC would mean for our programme. So this does irritate me a bit, because as "poor" as the CSA is, supposedly, you can't expose yourself to getting poached. 

Anyways, we still have the States and Mexico coming to visit, and less Covid restrictions, so I hope the CSA gets some income and can get beyond this ragged mentality.

I am worried about him leaving. His cv has just been massively embellished as he has us playing way above the sum of our parts. Man for man we should not be going toe to toe the US or Mexico, no less getting the better of them in their home parks.

That being said, I suspect he at least sees out qualifying but it’s possible he could go next summer (although not likely) before the World Cup when sides are getting their staffs in place for the next year.  At this rate, we will need to give him a fat new contract that breaks the bank next summer to keep him through to 2026.

Why would he get us through qualifying and then leave???  Crazy!  If we qualify, he goes, struts his stuff at WC and then maybe he gets a better offer and leaves.  Kind of a "mission accomplished" kind of thing now I want to coach in the EPL etc.  The guy is ambitious (which is fine) but if he gets us to Qatar he has exceeded our wildest dreams and we'll still have a super exciting line up of young studs, a program on the rise, flush with cash from the WC and hosting in 4 years.  We will be able to find someone else. 

This more about the horses eh??   When have we had 3 guys like Davies, Lareya and Buchanon that the Mexicans are afraid of??  3 guys that will beat them for pace and dribble around the defense??  Not in my lifetime.....

23 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I am worried about him leaving. His cv has just been massively embellished as he has us playing way above the sum of our parts. Man for man we should not be going toe to toe the US or Mexico, no less getting the better of them in their home parks.

That being said, I suspect he at least sees out qualifying but it’s possible he could go next summer (although not likely) before the World Cup when sides are getting their staffs in place for the next year.  At this rate, we will need to give him a fat new contract that breaks the bank next summer to keep him through to 2026.

I don’t agree. Man for man with our best 11 I think we should be going toe to toe with Mexico and the USA. I think our players are undervalued and are improving every day. I do agree that Herdman is doing a good job though! 

5 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I don’t agree. Man for man with our best 11 I think we should be going toe to toe with Mexico and the USA. I think our players are undervalued and are improving every day. I do agree that Herdman is doing a good job though! 

That is what I was thinking as well.  Credit to Herdman for executing but it isn’t like we are massively outperforming our potential.  We have the best team we have ever fielded and are a very good team within CONCACAF.   That doesn’t jive with history of course, which makes it all a bit surreal, but I think our recent results are what we should be achieving.  Doesn’t make them any less impressive of course.  

As for Herdman leaving, it would be crazy for him to leave before taking us to the WC (if he can help get us there).  Aside from a desire to be upwardly mobile in the professional sense, these guys also have pride to play for - and you only get so many chances to make historic changes for entire national programs.  Plus he has to be buying into the entire team building project that has clearly been underway since he took over.  I find it hard to believe he would abandon the boys right before the big show.   And lastly, I would hope that the CSA brass would have the foresight to structure his contract in such a way as to disincentive an early departure.  Whether additional bonuses for performing at the WC, or penalties for leaving before then, one would hope that the negotiators would have guarded against that contingency.   

39 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

Look at the team values on transfermart and it tells a very different story. Even more so if you take out the top 2 players on all 3 sides (to show the comparison on depth). maybe we are undervalued but not by that much. Plus on Herdman leaving in the summer, I said it was unlikely but it’s still possible as someone could come in with an offer which is way above anything we could pay. Money talks. Plus, I think he is likely at his peak value then as no disrespect but we probably don’t get out of our group at the World Cup and his value declines rather than goes up. He will know that. 

Hasnt he also said stuff about taking on new challenges etc???  How many managers are exclusively national team guys and dont take a stab into the club ranks??  Unless deep down he really has his heart set on England or some other BIG JOB.  

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

Yes.  I have been for a little while.  He's ambitious, and that's great, but also means he wants bigger challenges.  Mind you taking Canada to the semi-finals in Qatar sounds like a pretty amazing challenge, so who knows!

Can't say I'm getting the whole leaving thing, especially we are less than five months out from the end of qualifying.  From an international perspective Canada has to be one of the best jobs out there

- Minimal pressure

- A good, dynamic young team that has a strong chance to qualify for Qatar

- A country that will, if Own the Podium is any indication, throw a ton of money at whatever they can to make sure we're even more competitive in 2026

The international jobs that he would likely want (ie England) won't open up until after Qatar at the earliest anyways.  I can't see him being the type of guy who's going to jump on taking on some club's relegation battle in January either (unless MBS gives him a call).

During his interview with the Wine and Tea group, he mentioned that he really wanted to get the men into the World Cup so that the CSA would get more funding and be able to spend more on the women's program.  He said that he left the women's program because he had taken it as far as he could on the meager budget they had.  I get the feeling that he is invested in Canadian soccer as a whole, and doesn't just do it for the pay cheque.

2 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I get the feeling that he is invested in Canadian soccer as a whole, and doesn't just do it for the pay cheque.

I think so too, to a point.  A couple of years ago, I was looking at FIFA stats comparing countries participation rates etc.  I think people here would be shocked at how well Canada stacked up as compared to the rest of the world.

I am sure Herdman knows about this potential and he's going to be the one to bring it to fruition and exploit it.  Phonsie's just the beginning, I can see Herdman being around for the next two World Cups and then looking for his next project.

24 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think so too, to a point.  A couple of years ago, I was looking at FIFA stats comparing countries participation rates etc.  I think people here would be shocked at how well Canada stacked up as compared to the rest of the world.

I am sure Herdman knows about this potential and he's going to be the one to bring it to fruition and exploit it.  Phonsie's just the beginning, I can see Herdman being around for the next two World Cups and then looking for his next project.

Yeah, it’s no coincidence that much of the excitement for our team comes from the youth movement.  No idea what the next crop of youngsters will produce but we are seeing some impressive young talents who learned their craft during the explosion of youth interest in this country.   It may be a bit before we produce another Davies as he is likely our equivalent of a generational talent, but I am confident we will continue to see a stream of players capable of playing at the general level we saw last night.