Herdman new head coach

matty

This video illustrates a lot of the stuff I was saying early in this thread, about what he would bring to the table, that we never had before.  There's a lot more than X and Os.  And I think he definitely deserves credit for being the first coach to be the Concacafer and not the Concacafee.

I posted earlier in this thread about how well the women play away from home and many said it's a totally different environment for the men.  That is true but many of the principles and techniques he teaches for coping are the same.

I can remember a game (it had to be before he coached the women) that Sinclair was lining up a penalty and I think it was the Brazilian players were all around her, even touching her.  She got rattled and missed IIRC and they got in her face again.  I couldn't understand why any teammate would allow that and why any coach could ever let that happen.

You know what will happen it some country tries that against us now.  They're suddenly gonna have 10 guys surround them and that includes Crepeau or Borjan.  It's been a long time comin'

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

A very insightful video into Herdman and what happened to this team especially the answer Herdman gave to the last question.

For at least a couple of answers, this is Herdman in his element. Yet, I haven't seen none of the soccer media reporting on these answers from a October 15th call yet. Instead, most often mentioned were the call with GGG and the Edmonton weather advantage.

But the most telling answers for me were:

First camp under Herdman had 2 fights. People said to him that this is men’s football. But Herdman stood against it. You can fight with your opponent but you don’t fight internally. It isn’t a man or woman’s thing. This is a dysfunctional team. We have to eliminate the threat inside this team which is the broken relationship, the factions, these little cliques…The Scottish boys went one way, the  Spanish speaking guys went one way, the Eastern European guys went one way. 

The leadership group now understand the importance of shared purpose, understand the importance of their own humility and understand the importance of connecting every man regardless of race, religion & language. 

The All Blacks doc he had them watch is I believe Chasing Great: a very personal insight into high level international sport and a revealing psychological profile of the mind of a champion. Natural strength, hard work and sacrifice only get him so far. To become the best he has to master his mind. The mental toughness and self knowledge that Richie McCaw has honed and worked to attain over the later years of his career has elevated him from a great player into perhaps the greatest ever. 

Edited by red card

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Who would be be part of a "Scottish" clique aside from Wotherspoon and Arfield?

Arfield wasn't at that first camp in Spain.  Wotherspoon was though.

There weren't that many Spanish speakers either.  

Looking at the attendees for that camp, it was certainly strange that there were cliques.

26 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Looking at the attendees for that camp, it was certainly strange that there were cliques.

Just going off the roster for the game vs NZ

Potential Scottish speakers - Wotherspoon and Godinho(😀)

Potential Spanish speakers - Piette and Osorio

That's a recipe for fireworks.

Alternatively, during that camp they also played Risk to pass the time and Herdman is still upset at some of the alliances/cliques that wiped him out of the game.

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I was at the Floro first camp in Oliva, near Valencia. Poolside at the team hotel and in the hotel, and in the stands for the first Mauritania match. So yes, some cliques are obvious, you can see them when you are up close.

I think there is no question there will always be cliques on any team and why not? Why shouldn't guys like Larin and Laryea who grew up as friends not hang out, or others who may have some background, were club teammates, have a language affinity? Is Herdman saying he prefers French to not be spoken in a Canada camp?

He was biting his tongue to remind himself not to say anything about guys from the 'hood hanging out together (and yes I am fucking being sarcastic). I mean, really.

Another thing is if you ask a senior player or captian to mentor, or have an overall principle you instill whereby everyone gets to feel part, where the newbies are included. I think it is probably good to mix up how they room, if they are sharing, and only accept that you let a very senior player or captain decide (often because a captain has other responsibilities including in a hotel, they are regularly visited by other players to deal with issues, at least on many clubs). 

As usual, I found 80% of that Herdman intervew to be tedious and uninteresting. The whole New Zealand business I can do without, it is totally mundane and has been heard a million times. Mind you, the questions were even worse, pure fluff. We desperately need some more independent journalists working for prying, inquisitive editors, asking harder questions--like why we've only scored first once in 6 games, and twice in the last 9.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I don't want to diminish that presser, as I really enjoyed Herdman sharing all that experience. I really never considered his possible exposure to the all blacks and what that might have contributed to his growth as a manager. 

That said, here are the Murcia camp groups that rumbled: 

Pan Slavs - Borjan, Jakovic

Caribbean - MAK, James, Ricketts, Larin, Morgan, Cornelius, Edwards 

Quebecrs - Piette

Latinx Africa - Osorio, Adekugbe, Akindele

Mediterranean - Petrasso, Godinho, 

Swiss Neutral  - Leutwiler

Scottish (not a national distinction, but rather the only names Colin Miller knows how to spell) - Millar, Simon Thomas, Edgar, Wotherspoon, Chapman, Fraser.

Oddly, the first bit of team building occurred when Osorio and Ricketts switched sides, facilitating Caribbean to be renamed "Brampton." Brampton crushed Scotland for CMNT supremacy and the rest is history.

9 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't want to diminish that presser, as I really enjoyed Herdman sharing all that experience. I really never considered his possible exposure to the all blacks and what that might have contributed to his growth as a manager. 

That said, here are the Murcia camp groups that rumbled: 

Pan Slavs - Borjan, Jakovic

Caribbean - MAK, James, Ricketts, Larin, Morgan, Cornelius, Edwards 

Quebecrs - Piette

Latinx Africa - Osorio, Adekugbe, Akindele

Mediterranean - Petrasso, Godinho, 

Swiss Neutral  - Leutwiler

Scottish (not a national distinction, but rather the only names Colin Miller knows how to spell) - Millar, Simon Thomas, Edgar, Wotherspoon, Chapman, Fraser.

Oddly, the first bit of team building occurred when Osorio and Ricketts switched sides, facilitating Caribbean to be renamed "Brampton." Brampton crushed Scotland for CMNT supremacy and the rest is history.

He really should call up less Quebecois so they don't start going off on him.

Oh, the Scottish spelling bit, priceless.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Coach in and around Edmonton today, getting the city pumped for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers. Lets pack the place, no excuses. 

image.thumb.png.7e1ec765ce8db9c65a1bee12588dbd6f.png

You love to see it. Seeing the boys plastered on the outside of Rogers Place almost makes it seem like we're actually a footballing nation. This is what I've always wanted to see. Also, I'm very much looking forward to Edmonton (hopefully) showing Canada Soccer that the west knows how to host a football match.

I hadn't seen that massive poster on Rogers Place, nice! I flipped to the Oilers game last night and saw Herdman's face right away for that interview. Great to see that, was a decent interview I thought too. Hopefully the people of Edmonton step up like they did for the World Cup game in 2015, and the Brazil friendly in 1994!

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I hadn't seen that massive poster on Rogers Place, nice! I flipped to the Oilers game last night and saw Herdman's face right away for that interview. Great to see that, was a decent interview I thought too. Hopefully the people of Edmonton step up like they did for the World Cup game in 2015, and the Brazil friendly in 1994!

I think the Edmonton and surrounding communities will really get behind these games. It has been priced perfectly to sell, groups will get an even better deal. I honestly expected 50K at both. I will be very curious how tickets do right out of the gate, will we see a real run on them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Herdman does a podcast with Athletic Football Business of Sport. In hindsight, he prequelled a lot of what he said in his October 15th presser posted on the previous page.

Only thing really new for me is that he named Scott Arfield as one who pushed back with "this is men's football" line when confronted about fights and dsyfunctionality of the team. Other newish content is that he interviewed 40 people past & present of the national teams to understand what he was getting into. And there was some pushback in playing teenagers from the veterans. He appears to also want something more meaningful than a high profile Euro club managerial job.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vVEFNQzE5NzkwMDE4NTk/episode/YzM3ZWI2ZDYtMjQ0MS0xMWVjLWExMDItZmYyZWUyMTdiNDEw?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahgKEwiQwLy6qO3zAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQ81M

Herdman is bidding to qualify for men’s World Cup in Qatar next year for the first time since 1986, having previously seen success with Canada's women's team at the Olympics, winning two bronze medals. Listen to his story and the way that he's been able to transform a nation's prospects, whilst not always receiving the best support out there.

Edited by red card

On 10/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

This video illustrates a lot of the stuff I was saying early in this thread, about what he would bring to the table, that we never had before.  There's a lot more than X and Os

He actually said that in the Athletic Football interview.  I love a good interview that I can listen to working around the house.  Thanks to red card for posting it.