Herdman new head coach

matty

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hasnt he also said stuff about taking on new challenges etc???  How many managers are exclusively national team guys and dont take a stab into the club ranks??  Unless deep down he really has his heart set on England or some other BIG JOB.  

There is no way anyone could not like this guy . He wears his passion on his sleeve and only wants this team to get better. You could really feel it from his post game interview that while the one point was great, getting three would have been better. This team will go through walls for John. 

5 minutes ago, Cblake said:

There is no way anyone could not like this guy . He wears his passion on his sleeve and only wants this team to get better. You could really feel it from his post game interview that while the one point was great, getting three would have been better. This team will go through walls for John. 

I really do hope the CSA was smart enough to negotiate a counteract that looks after our interests over the long term.  

4 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

I don’t agree. Man for man with our best 11 I think we should be going toe to toe with Mexico and the USA. I think our players are undervalued and are improving every day. I do agree that Herdman is doing a good job though! 

I agree with this very much.  We may not be quite at their level talent-wise, but I think 4 - 6 of our starters walk into either of their starting lineups, no questions asked.  Having said that, although I've questioned Herdman's nutty-professor-with-his-chemistry-set approach before, he definitely has all the boys bought-in to his system(s) and committed to playing that way.  And that does make a difference.

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really do hope the CSA was smart enough to negotiate a counteract that looks after our interests over the long term.  

I don’t know how much long term thinking ever goes into it when it comes to international coaching. It’s such a what have you done for me lately thing, especially for the bigger countries. But I go get what you are saying, especially when you consider how the hire apparently went down. 

25 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I would point out that it has been a while since I have seen anything from @SpecialK

I don't think there is any concern about Herdman going anywhere until we are eliminated from the World Cup or in this qualifying round, that would be a poor move for all involved! Who knows what ambitions he has, he bailed on the women's team when an opportunity presented itself much to the chagrin of some of the players, he has his brand to sell and who can blame him! Hopefully the program grows into something that matches his ambition, if he were to leave I would hope we could find a good replacement considering JH negotiated himself a good paying contract from what I have read! I am just concerned on how JH manages these next two hugely important matches for now!

7 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't think there is any concern about Herdman going anywhere until we are eliminated from the World Cup or in this qualifying round, that would be a poor move for all involved! Who knows what ambitions he has, he bailed on the women's team when an opportunity presented itself much to the chagrin of some of the players, he has his brand to sell and who can blame him! Hopefully the program grows into something that matches his ambition, if he were to leave I would hope we could find a good replacement considering JH negotiated himself a good paying contract from what I have read! I am just concerned on how JH manages these next two hugely important matches for now!

CBlake was saying how could anyone not like this guy?   How he got this job is something many forget because the team has been progressing fast than we had hoped.  But, dont date a married woman...if she'll cheat with you, she'll cheat on you next.  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

CBlake was saying how could anyone not like this guy?   How he got this job is something many forget because the team has been progressing fast than we had hoped.  But, dont date a married woman...if she'll cheat with you, she'll cheat on you next.  

That is great advice!😀

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

You haven't closely read the first 2/3 of this thread. Some of it was unhappiness with the CSA process and thinking Zambrano was finally the right choice. 

Herdman must have read it also since he states in the Chronicle article linked previously: "There is a lot of misogyny out there and for many people their brains were just hijacked that this women's coach could now be a men's coach." 

"But when you look at high performance processes and the way you operate on the field, there's very little difference. But people had this mentality that you couldn't manage egos or you're not going to be able to manage a dressing room.

Edited by red card

7 hours ago, rkomar said:

During his interview with the Wine and Tea group, he mentioned that he really wanted to get the men into the World Cup so that the CSA would get more funding and be able to spend more on the women's program.  He said that he left the women's program because he had taken it as far as he could on the meager budget they had.  I get the feeling that he is invested in Canadian soccer as a whole, and doesn't just do it for the pay cheque.

I was about to mention the same interview.

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Not to take anything credit away from Herdman in fact it is a positive that he has surrounded himself with a good team of coaches, we all just want the team to succeed and Herdman has us in a good place!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Herdman fan.

3 hours ago, red card said:

You haven't closely read the first 2/3 of this thread. Some of it was unhappiness with the CSA process and thinking Zambrano was finally the right choice. 

Herdman must have read it also since he states in the Chronicle article linked previously: "There is a lot of misogyny out there and for many people their brains were just hijacked that this women's coach could now be a men's coach." 

"But when you look at high performance processes and the way you operate on the field, there's very little difference. But people had this mentality that you couldn't manage egos or you're not going to be able to manage a dressing room.

How is this any rebuttal to someone saying they don’t know how anyone couldn’t like Herdman? 

4 hours ago, frmr said:

I would just like to take this time to point out that anyone who has been against Herdman, and we know who you are, have now been proven to be mouth-breathing intellectual inferiors. 

The story isn't written yet, it's like saying you liked your date enough to marry her when you're still at dinner.

Though I'm hoping Herdman proves a keeper. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The story isn't written yet, it's like saying you liked your date enough to marry her when you're still at dinner.

Lol I think the mods deleted my post but now it will live on forever in your quote.

9 hours ago, frmr said:

Lol I think the mods deleted my post but now it will live on forever in your quote.

Did they really delete that, how "brutish" of them.

I am not at all offended by the possibility of being a "mouth-breathing intellectual inferior". Maybe because the case can be made now for the cultural capacity of the Neanderthals, which for a long time was not thought possible. But now we have Neanderthal cave painting of great quality, which debunks the old cave man cliché (I happen to teach this stuff).

I'm happy to be one of the Neanderthals who questions Herdman, since you Homo Sapiens prancing about on his bandwagon are not the only ones out there with a chic streak, turns out.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well considering the fact that we're sitting third after four games in the final round of World Cup qualifying, including earning points in the two toughest matches and also including having earned the first point at the Azteca in 40 years.. if you're considering that as "still being at dinner", then I guess that means you hadn't even smelled a woman prior to this. So yeah, I'm going to stick with my original statement.

The rest of the region is generally considering Herdman as the best manager in Concacaf, and yet some of our support don't like him because *insert intellectually inferior reasoning here*.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:31 AM, costarg said:

Yes.  I have been for a little while.  He's ambitious, and that's great, but also means he wants bigger challenges.  Mind you taking Canada to the semi-finals in Qatar sounds like a pretty amazing challenge, so who knows!

Would taking Canada to the semi finals in 2026 be more feasible? I would consider that as an amazing challenge too. 😁 

5 hours ago, frmr said:

Well considering the fact that we're sitting third after four games in the final round of World Cup qualifying, including earning points in the two toughest matches and also including having earned the first point at the Azteca in 40 years.. if you're considering that as "still being at dinner", then I guess that means you hadn't even smelled a woman prior to this. So yeah, I'm going to stick with my original statement.

The rest of the region is generally considering Herdman as the best manager in Concacaf, and yet some of our support don't like him because *insert intellectually inferior reasoning here*.

Two draws and he's the best manager in CONCACAF? That is a bit much. We really should be beating Honduras at home if we're going to qualify. Let's see what happens over the next two games. If we only get three points from this window, we'll have a much harder job to do. I wouldn't count on points from the US and Mexico at home.

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Two draws and he's the best manager in CONCACAF? That is a bit much. We really should be beating Honduras at home if we're going to qualify. Let's see what happens over the next two games. If we only get three points from this window, we'll have a much harder job to do. I wouldn't count on points from the US and Mexico at home.

Who’s a better manager in Concacaf?